Israel Match Thread (11/10/2018) - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel Match Thread (11/10/2018)

Clyde1998

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hang on, it seems you didn’t see the game. We were outnumbered in midfield because our wing backs weren’t in it. 

That proves my point. They weren't doing their job properly. 

Wing back is fairly straightforward when the other team plays the same formation. You've only got your man to worry about. 

Why were their wing backs free if ours were supposedly matched up against them? 

19 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The purest form of hypocrisy. Anybody on here that says they would turn down a massive pay rise for a full time job, when they are still ambitious about their career, is a total liar. 

This is a complete red herring of an argument and we really need to stop using it.

For almost every one of us on this board we work because we need the income. If offered a massive pay rise with another company yes of course most of us would take it.

Football is different. Football managers have riches beyond our wildest dreams. A massive pay rise would significantly change the lives of most of us in a positive way. Not so for McLeish so to compare his walking out for a higher paid job to one of us doing the same is like comparing apples with kebabs.

On 10/13/2018 at 8:07 AM, RenfrewBlue said:

You should nip down to the local hospital and offer your amazing powers to help diagnose mental illness with just a look at someone on a TV screen. 

Either that or you should get off the disgraceful personal attacks when you know fuck all about it. 

Slag off McLeish's ability as a manager all you want but try and stay above the shitey Sun headline rubbish. 

How you can possibly say we should be beating Israel and Albania no problem is beyond me. What factual evidence do you have for this? 

The main Israeli striker plays for a team that just rogered our 8 in a row champions without breaking sweat. 

Albania have half a team that plays in Serie A. 

We have 2 players from the EPL and both were woeful the other night. 

The failure here is a combination of crap players and poor tactical management. Our midfield and attack had to be pressing faster and harder to prevent the balls in behind the wing backs. They didn't and nobody seemed to be keen to point out the issue. 

Sorry but if you don't like my opinion then that's fine but it does look like McLeish has some sort of problem, couple that with his inability to tell what players he has subbed on from ones he hasn't then you need to look at that and worry. These are not personal attacks but observations. Also it seems no one wanted to take McLeish on apart from us which is a worrying trend. Anyways I believe we should be beating Albania and Israel based on the run of results and rankings both teams have got atm. It's not a case of we should be beating them because of arrogance it's a case that they are teams that have had bad form and clearly have not been managed right to get the best out their players. At this moment in time we should be looking to beat them and we won't find an easier route to a play off ever. Sadly it looks like we have bad management as well so I guess we will have to put up with bad results against the likes of Israel for the foreseeable future.

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Anyways I believe we should be beating Albania and Israel based on the run of results and rankings both teams have got atm. It's not a case of we should be beating them because of arrogance it's a case that they are teams that have had bad form and clearly have not been managed right to get the best out their players. At this moment in time we should be looking to beat them and we won't find an easier route to a play off ever. Sadly it looks like we have bad management as well so I guess we will have to put up with bad results against the likes of Israel for the foreseeable future.

Yes, in effect you could say we already dropped down a level - in the sense of being in a lower league than our illustrious local rivals Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, (dare I mention Iceland) - and the upside ought to be an easier route to a Euro play off because we are playing a lower level of opposition. That's to say, on paper it must be easier to get to a Euro playoff as a higher ranking League C team than as a middle or lower ranking League B team. But instead we seem to have 'found  our level' in League C, with next to nothing between the sides, until/unless we get it sorted out. (Still we are miraculously top of the group, but only till this evening.)

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😬,  unfortunately Carlsberg lager was nowhere near strong enough to blot out the pain of that game.  

I blame @G-Man who has buggered off to a kibbutz to repent for her sins 😗

They sent me back. Nothing they can do. 

Met a guy today who missed the game as he was so wasted. Never been so jealous of someone. 

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

That proves my point. They weren't doing their job properly. 

Wing back is fairly straightforward when the other team plays the same formation. You've only got your man to worry about. 

Why were their wing backs free if ours were supposedly matched up against them? 

Because our players aren't any good at 3-5-2.

1 hour ago, DaveyDenoon said:

This is a complete red herring of an argument and we really need to stop using it.

For almost every one of us on this board we work because we need the income. If offered a massive pay rise with another company yes of course most of us would take it.

Football is different. Football managers have riches beyond our wildest dreams. A massive pay rise would significantly change the lives of most of us in a positive way. Not so for McLeish so to compare his walking out for a higher paid job to one of us doing the same is like comparing apples with kebabs.

How is football different? Just because the amounts are larger doesn't mean that there's not mortgages to pay or periods of unemployment to cover. 

People tend to spend close to their disposable limit and this doesn't really change if you have a bigger salary. 

Not to mention the large amount of unemployment in the industry too. 

27 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Because our players aren't any good at 3-5-2.

No, just not very good at listening to instructions. 

If they are any good as footballers they could adapt to more than one system. 

2 hours ago, exile said:

Yes, in effect you could say we already dropped down a level - in the sense of being in a lower league than our illustrious local rivals Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, (dare I mention Iceland) - and the upside ought to be an easier route to a Euro play off because we are playing a lower level of opposition. That's to say, on paper it must be easier to get to a Euro playoff as a higher ranking League C team than as a middle or lower ranking League B team. But instead we seem to have 'found  our level' in League C, with next to nothing between the sides, until/unless we get it sorted out. (Still we are miraculously top of the group, but only till this evening.)

We would have a better chance of getting a playoff spot if we were in League B.

The downside would be that once we got to the playoff we might be playing against higher ranked opposition.

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We would have a better chance of getting a playoff spot if we were in League B.

The downside would be that once we got to the playoff we might be playing against higher ranked opposition.

How so?  If we were in League B, (that is, assuming we would be among the lowest ranked teams in it) then we would be pretty much always playing against higher level opposition, in the group stage and most likely in the play offs.  Instead we're among the highest ranked League C teams meaning we are facing teams that are lower ranked than us, on paper.  We could get in the door of the Euros entirely by beating teams like Albania, Israel, Serbia, Hungary etc, not those as highly ranked as Wales, Republic of Ireland, etc

2 minutes ago, exile said:

How so?  If we were in League B, (that is, assuming we would be among the lowest ranked teams in it) then we would be pretty much always playing against higher level opposition, in the group stage and most likely in the play offs.  Instead we're among the highest ranked League C teams meaning we are facing teams that are lower ranked than us, on paper.  We could get in the door of the Euros entirely by beating teams like Albania, Israel, Serbia, Hungary etc, not those as highly ranked as Wales, Republic of Ireland, etc

Because every team in League B will get a playoff spot if they need it. 

Most of them will qualify automatically though.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

What would be the best result for us: a demoralising defeat for Albania which would leave them with little to play for? Or a draw which keeps both teams in the running?

Surely a draw, because then they've both dropped points? If Israel win then they can come to Glasgow confident that a draw could be enough for them to qualify, even if we win in Albania.

Even if Albania lose tonight, the have everything to play for as they could still get 6 points, which Israel would have, and which we have yet to get. 6 points could be enough to go through on goal difference, goals scored, etc.  OK a really heavy defeat for them could make them least likely to go through on 6 points, but would be a corresponding boost to Israel, if they beat Albania by more than what we did.

in any case, every game, point and goal counts,  with the spectre of relegation for one of us 😲

Edited by exile

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

What would be the best result for us: a demoralising defeat for Albania which would leave them with little to play for? Or a draw which keeps both teams in the running?

I would like to see a draw.

If one of them wins I would prefer it to be Israel.

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Because every team in League B will get a playoff spot if they need it. 

Most of them will qualify automatically though.

OK, League B is a distant land of which I know little