Israel Match Thread (11/10/2018) - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel Match Thread (11/10/2018)

Clyde1998

18 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I was all for strachan staying

The longer the SFA dithered over finding a replacement for Strachan, when the only folk publicly putting themselves forward were the likes of John Hughes and Gary Caldwell, the more I felt we might look back on his time in charge fondly.  I hope that doesn't happen.

FWIW, I'd have been content with him staying at the time - if he'd wanted to.  In 2017 the team seemed to have turned a corner and had a system and a style that suited us.

Guest MorayCupMan
1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

He's just shown how clueless he is in the post match interview.. Claims he was ready to bring on McKenna when Souttar was struggling. MCKENNA was ALREADY on!

That was hard listening to the post match interview. I am in complete shock with tonight...

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Regarding the manager the SFA thought Michael O'Neil would take the job and when he didn't we were screwed

It looks likely that Ireland wont make a play off spot this time.  In his favor - the Irish FA gave their man time and its high time we do the same.  Its water under the bridge now and despite his arrogance its maybe what we should have done with Strachan. 

54 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

As was I.

It’s not as if the current shambles wasn’t entirely predictable before they sacked him.

Many people said as much at the time. Plenty saw this coming and I suspect was one of the main reasons for some people urging us to stick with Strachan.

Are things really that much different though? Good result at Hampden followed by a poor away result...I know Strachan picked up some good away results but not the key ones like Georgia in 2015 and Slovenia which stopped the team qualifying.

This poor result has complicated things but I would still expect to beat Israel at Hampden. Do that and still a good chance to top the group.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Pathetic. Just get McLeish out now. And take Naismith, Russell and O'Donnell with you. 

Russell played no bad compared to most, took a few on at times. Naisy hasn't got the legs anymore I'd agree, O'Donnel had a poor game but so did the rest of the team. Tierney and Robertson were all over the place

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

O donnell cost a goal and a red card tonight. Humiliated by supposed mediocre opposition. 

Bit harsh, he was off the mark, not his fault there was a soft red though

6 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Are things really that much different though? Good result at Hampden followed by a poor away result...I know Strachan picked up some good away results but not the key ones like Georgia in 2015 and Slovenia which stopped the team qualifying.

Often we seemed to run out of steam in double headers, what is disappointing about this is this is the first game of a pair. Goodness knows who'll be in the team or what state they'll be in after Portugal.

1 hour ago, SWMM82 said:

Can’t believe there are still folk banging on about Forrest...... he comes on when we were down to 10 men and we were already getting pummelled!

There was far far more concerning issues on that pitch tonight from defence to attack!

I’d usually be front of the queue to stick the boot into Forrest, but he actually did ok when he came on.

The game was gone before he appeared, it was a steady decline from us going ahead, with a brief glimmer of hope when we played a bit of football just before the Souttar red card and from then it was only going to get worse.

The whole thing was a shambles. I think we need to draw a line under shoehorning Tierney and Robertson into the same team, certainly with a formation that highlights our long standing weakness at centre back. Could maybe work with Tierney as LB in a back 4 and Robertson in midfield.

15 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Russell played no bad compared to most, took a few on at times. Naisy hasn't got the legs anymore I'd agree, O'Donnel had a poor game but so did the rest of the team. Tierney and Robertson were all over the place

Bit harsh, he was off the mark, not his fault there was a soft red though

If he wasn’t fucking about with the ball 30 yards out and had to play it to Souttar, then he wouldn’t have been in the position to fuck about with the ball, even closer to goal. 

4 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Was just an absolute shambles.. Players looked knackered early on and we just played no football at all. 

We were getting murdered down each flank but we did nothing to change that

In posession we were timid and often going sideways or backwards.. 

The mindset really is just to knick draws away from home. Not saying it's right but generally with the lack of quality in central defence and upfront I can understand it and just bank on winning the home games where things are completely different.

I think that's the issue for me, the lack of even decent options at CB and upfront. Generally teams who qualify for tournaments have good options in at least one of those areas. Think of Northern Ireland's defence that got clean sheet after clean sheet in euro 2016 qualifying and obviously Wales have Bale in the final third.

5 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

The mindset really is just to knick draws away from home. Not saying it's right but generally with the lack of quality in central defence and upfront I can understand it and just bank on winning the home games where things are completely different.

I think that's the issue for me, the lack of even decent options at CB and upfront. Generally teams who qualify for tournaments have good options in at least one of those areas. Think of Northern Ireland's defence that got clean sheet after clean sheet in euro 2016 qualifying and obviously Wales have Bale in the final third.

I truly believe though we have a group of players that are capable of getting us there and thats the frustrating part but we are now going backwards which isnt being helped by players now not wanting to be included by mcleish..

We need a non Scot to manage us, every Scottish cunt has preconceived ideas about the players.

McLeish should never have been appointed, Id rather have kept Strachan, and I fucking hated him. By just lazily picking the same team, the same system and same tactis as last time, McLeish surely did himself out of several pay packets. 

McLeish, youre a cunt, you should GTF as soon as you can. You are an abject failure, youre nothing special, your media pals cant tell you whatever they like, but the sad truth is, that you should do the honourable thing and piss off ASAP.

10 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I truly believe though we have a group of players that are capable of getting us there and thats the frustrating part but we are now going backwards which isnt being helped by players now not wanting to be included by mcleish..

Yeah a real in form player like Ryan Fraser constantly picking up injuries in international weeks is very frustrating.

It reminds me of Wales under Toshack. No hope of qualifying so no real desire to turn up and they used to get 6-7 withdrawals per squad announcement. Then they get success until Coleman and hardly anyone gets injured which says a lot.

Not really sure how this cycle gets broken, it just seems rooted in the mentality now I'm afraid.

Let's remember that the starting eleven was the same as the one against Albania and we played them off the park in the first half.  Tonight, however, showed that a team that goes head to head in formation, with genuine wing backs, will show the weakness in playing players out of position - their wing backs caused us problems all night and ours caused them none.  Back to 4-2-3-1 for me.

Only pass marks tonight were;

McGregor (A) - could have been a gubbing without him.

McDonald - I've never rated him but thought he did well tonight.

McGinn - almost expect him to make at least one the suicidal pass (which he did) but otherwise our driving force throughout the match.

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

It looks likely that Ireland wont make a play off spot this time.  In his favor - the Irish FA gave their man time and its high time we do the same.  Its water under the bridge now and despite his arrogance its maybe what we should have done with Strachan. 

Not sure how it works but I think just about everyone from group c will make the play offs barring some very strange results in normal qualification

19 minutes ago, kumnio said:

We need a non Scot to manage us, every Scottish cunt has preconceived ideas about the players.

McLeish should never have been appointed, Id rather have kept Strachan, and I fucking hated him. By just lazily picking the same team, the same system and same tactis as last time, McLeish surely did himself out of several pay packets. 

McLeish, youre a cunt, you should GTF as soon as you can. You are an abject failure, youre nothing special, your media pals cant tell you whatever they like, but the sad truth is, that you should do the honourable thing and piss off ASAP.

i was heavily criticised on here for slagging Mcleish's appointment he should never been appointed in the first place he was made manager at rod petrie's advice an ole pals act 

32 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Griffiths is our main striker and only real goal threat

O’Donnell is terrible 

Why is McDonald in the team 

Why on earth didn’t McKenna start 

Why do we persist in playing players well past their best

Why are we so unbelievably pish! 

the only players that come out with any positives were the two McGregors ... the rest were very poor

56 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Was just an absolute shambles.. Players looked knackered early on and we just played no football at all. 

We were getting murdered down each flank but we did nothing to change that

In posession we were timid and often going sideways or backwards.. 

We remind me hugely of Celtic away from home in Europe.