Doddie Weir Cup - Wales v Scotland - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Doddie Weir Cup - Wales v Scotland

Bristolhibby

Never forget

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2754216/Childless-SNP-chiefs-no-feel-UK-family-Leaders-Scottish-National-Party-want-break-Union-not-understand-families-claimed.html

Childless SNP chiefs 'who have no feel for UK family': Leaders of Scottish National Party 'want to break up Union because they do not understand families', it is claimed 

Former Scottish rugby players said Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon do not have to worry about future generations of Scots as they are childless.

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Never forget

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2754216/Childless-SNP-chiefs-no-feel-UK-family-Leaders-Scottish-National-Party-want-break-Union-not-understand-families-claimed.html

Childless SNP chiefs 'who have no feel for UK family': Leaders of Scottish National Party 'want to break up Union because they do not understand families', it is claimed 

Former Scottish rugby players said Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon do not have to worry about future generations of Scots as they are childless.

Is Doddie Weir one of them?

I'm not opening that link.

Not that it matters really. Not everything is linked to the Independence debate.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Not that it matters really. Not everything is linked to the Independence debate.

Yes

When the SRU has the reputation of being a "closed shop" and every bit a Unionist cabal as the Tories then they are linked to the Independence debate by default

I have sympathy with Weir's illness however Unionists strolling around in tartan suits is vomit inducing

Not one of them has apologised for the slur on Salmond and Sturgeon

Not one of them has said they might have got it wrong with regards to events after 2014

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

What he said.

Talk about viewing the world through a prism!

Anyway, for what it’s worth, those guys were obliged to remain outside the gates because the SRU wouldn’t let them in to Murrayfield espouse their political cause. Look at where the photographs were taken - outside Murrayfield.

Edit to say that I’m not going. I just get the feeling it’s an additional match designed purely to fleece the fans for more money with a bit of charity stuck on as a fig leaf.

Edited by Duncan Blackheart

On 10/7/2018 at 3:34 PM, Bristolhibby said:

Don’t get many chances to take my boys to a Scotland game. So it was a no brainier for me.

Love rugby, and love Scotland. That’s good enough for me. 

J

You’ve made me feel bad now! 

Hope you have a great time. Better than when I was there this February! 😂

On 10/5/2018 at 10:33 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Never forget

I'm not sure what your point is Ally, I enjoy reading your posts regarding independence and you are clearly passionate but what point are you trying to make? 

EDIT - I should have read the rest of the thread. I couldn't care less how they voted, I disagree with them but it wouldn't stop me attending matches.  

Wish I could go to the match in Cardiff, have to settle for a trip back to Scotland for the Sprinboks match instead

Edited by vanderark14

That article is quite something. I’d forgotten just how bad the media were during the referendum campaign. Most of those in the picture are from my era, I’ve met most of them. Played intra-mural football against Tukalo at Uni for example, and rugby club games against quite a few of the rest of them too. That they were No voters is hardly a surprise surely? Predominantly public school educated, Edinburgh ‘professionals’ and Border farmers. Entitled to their opinion and to take part in the debate, as pointed out above it wasn’t the SRU, just a bunch of individuals.

The quote about Salmond and Sturgeon being childless is directly attributed to Stevie Munro the Ayr winger in the body of the article. He should have been challenged on this, but it is the Mail let’s not forget. He also says something about experiencing hostility walking down Ayr High St. wearing a No badge (although the article seems to link that statement with a photo of Doddie Weir). Probably complete shite, but the Mail laps that up and effectively attributed it to the lot of them. 

Even including all of that though, the dumbest statement is actually attributed to Andy Nicol (met him umpteen times, bit of a dick) when he ponders how independence would impact the Lions. That’s the British and Irish Lions, a team selected from players from four already separate rugby unions, and two separate countries. 

Edited by Pool Q

• 2 weeks later...

Glasgow looked tasty last week vs Scaracens. They pushed them closer than any English team this season (sadly including Bath). 

Hopefully this will translate into a Scotland performance. Don’t know what it is with Cardiff, Scotland have an awful record there. 

J

On 10/9/2018 at 10:55 AM, vanderark14 said:

I'm not sure what your point is Ally, I enjoy reading your posts regarding independence and you are clearly passionate but what point are you trying to make? 

EDIT - I should have read the rest of the thread. I couldn't care less how they voted, I disagree with them but it wouldn't stop me attending matches.  

Wish I could go to the match in Cardiff, have to settle for a trip back to Scotland for the Sprinboks match instead

Ally's point is he doesn't like rugby and brings this out at every opportunity. 

26 minutes ago, biffer said:

Ally's point is he doesn't like rugby and brings this out at every opportunity. 

Ally's point is he was actually alright about Rugby until this revelation

I can remember where i was when Gavin Hastings scored under the posts in the Parc de Princes

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Ally's point is he was actually alright about Rugby until this revelation

I can remember where i was when Gavin Hastings scored under the posts in the Parc de Princes

The revelation that seven or eight ageing public schoolboys (out of hundreds of former internationals) were against independence and the SRU told them to do one when they thought they could waltz up unannounced and do some publicity for a political cause? That revelation?

16 minutes ago, biffer said:

The revelation that seven or eight ageing public schoolboys (out of hundreds of former internationals) were against independence and the SRU told them to do one when they thought they could waltz up unannounced and do some publicity for a political cause? That revelation?

The revelation of how proud i was in the Scottish Rugby team of the 80s and 90s, particularly when David Sole "walked" the team out of the tunnel against England with the sleeve of his shirt cut off and how years later realising how false it all was and that they were really just a bunch of Uncle Toms

That fucking revelation

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The revelation of how proud i was in the Scottish Rugby team of the 80s and 90s, particularly when David Sole "walked" the team out of the tunnel against England with the sleeve of his shirt cut off and how years later realising how false it all was and that they were really just a bunch of Uncle Toms

That fucking revelation

So I take it you’re not following the national football team either anymore, seeing as some former players came out against independence too?

12 minutes ago, biffer said:

So I take it you’re not following the national football team either anymore, seeing as some former players came out against independence too?

Correct but nowt to do with former players in this instance

Have not been to a Scotland game since Sept 2014 and totally apathetic when they are playing

To emphasise this i hardly watched any of the 3 games v England since the vote - something that if you had asked me 5 years ago i would have laughed at

To be fair the SFA have made it much easier

Edited by Ally Bongo

41 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Have not been to a Scotland game since Sept 2014 and totally apathetic when they are playing

To emphasise this i hardly watched any of the 3 games v England since the vote - something that if you had asked me 5 years ago i would have laughed at

I haven’t been to a scotland internatioñal match for years either, because of a combination of them being shiite and the entire structure of Scottish football and the way it’s run. So probably much the same motivation for that. I just find it a bit strange that you write off an entire sport because of the views of a small number of guys who you feel let down by politically. 

56 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think you might be taking politics too seriously. IMO, sport is more important than politics. But we are all different.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I’ve probably been to more Scotland rugby internationals than football in the last four years and I voted yes.

dont know why anyone would mix sport and politics like this

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I’ve probably been to more Scotland rugby internationals than football in the last four years and I voted yes.

dont know why anyone would mix sport and politics like this

You could start with Flower of Scotland .....

http://scottishrugbyphilosopher.blogspot.com/2018/10/too-wee-too-poor-too-stupid.html?m=1

This guy is usually in perma-seethe about the SRU, occasionally getting digs in about most of them being unionists. Maybe he can tempt Ally back to the fold?

Anyway, I reckon a much-changed Glasgow team for this weekend, with Hastings on the bench before he starts in Cardiff.