Airport Security Thread - Israel V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Airport Security Thread

DoonTheSlope

Starting a thread for anyone who’s been to Israel before ble to give advice and tell us what to expect when leaving Ben Gurion Airport and how much time should we give ourselves to get through 

Should the fact that some of us are going to Palestine make us under far more scrutiny than anyone else?

Two mates arrived in Israel yesterday, with one of them flying into (and then out to get to Jordan) of Ben Gurion Airport yesterday and said apart from a little more tighter on security than most airports and a few extra questions, it was actually not that bad, but advised to give yourselves that extra hour.

Going to Palestine (unless you are planning to visit Gaza City....) should have no effect on leaving Israel, as end of the day they will know you are not Jewish and assume that you visited the West Bank to visit Bethlehem (which 1000's of people do every year)

Everyone I spoke with all said just tell them why you were there (for the football and doing tourist stuff) and what you did and there will be no issues.

Edited by wanderer

I go there quite a bit with work. Give yourself an extra hour (so 3 in total). You will have to go through pre screening before checking in and then going through security. 

Pre screening asks you questions about where you stayed, what you did, who you met. It’s just there way of looking you in the eyes and seeing if you are shifty. They will then put a wee sticker on your passport. That is then scanned at security. Depending on what your sticker says will depend on how stringent your security experience will be. Normally I go straight through. Other people may need their whole hand luggage opened up and swabbed, it’s just how they roll.

Advice would also be don’t turn up reeking, and don’t get on your high horse about questioning. 

Also, don’t be alarmed by the amount of young looking security guards with machine guns. They are just that and I have found them no bother.

Its no way as bad as people make out, getting through immigration is a bit of a scrum (foreigners need to move to the right, but can’t use the biometric machines). Again immigration will ask you a few questions. 

Enjoy. The weather looks like it’s on average 28c, so pack the shorts & swimming trunks and leave the jacket at home.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

So general consensus seems to be to arrive 3 hours before your flight, me being me I’ll be there 4 hours before take off

Ive recently just got a new passport and there’s no stamps on it. I went to Morocco on my previous passport, does your previous passport destinations also show up when they put it through their computer?

I assume any souvenirs I was planning on getting when I go to Bethlehem will also draw their attention?

11 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

I go there quite a bit with work. Give yourself an extra hour (so 3 in total). You will have to go through pre screening before checking in and then going through security. 

Pre screening asks you questions about where you stayed, what you did, who you met. It’s just there way of looking you in the eyes and seeing if you are shifty. They will then put a wee sticker on your passport. That is then scanned at security. Depending on what your sticker says will depend on how stringent your security experience will be. Normally I go straight through. Other people may need their whole hand luggage opened up and swabbed, it’s just how they roll.

Advice would also be don’t turn up reeking, and don’t get on your high horse about questioning. 

Also, don’t be alarmed by the amount of young looking security guards with machine guns. They are just that and I have found them no bother.

Its no way as bad as people make out, getting through immigration is a bit of a scrum (foreigners need to move to the right, but can’t use the biometric machines). Again immigration will ask you a few questions. 

Enjoy. The weather looks like it’s on average 28c, so pack the shorts & swimming trunks and leave the jacket at home.

J

Yes, I’m there often too. Whatever you do, don’t get pissed off with the questions they ask, if you’ve been to Dubai for example, they will ask you if know any locals, just say no; say you went for holidays, just be honest basically but expect them to keep probing you.  I’ve been to Saudi so they interrogate me a lot and I get a yellow sticker which means extra security on the way out.

its much longer to get out than get in so absolutely give 3 hours as it will take that long.

israel is a really cool place, you’ll love it there, just be respectful to the security 

Be very very respectful. If you’re a twat they’ll show they’re King of Twatsville and you’re nothing but a wee idiot  who they can strip search. They’ll also make sure there’s a big dog in the same room who looks like he’s just waiting on the command to rip the throat out of the wee tit who thought she was a smart arse because she spoke the language and didn’t like being asked lots of what seemed like pointless questions. If you’re nice and polite they won’t make you cry.

I’m always the politest person in Ben Gurion, occasionally so polite and mannerly they think I’m dodgy and stick a ‘check this wee crawler out’ sticker on my passport. But if you’re still polite and get a bit teary they never get the slavering dog or the nitrile gloves out again.  

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

Be very very respectful. If you’re a twat they’ll show they’re King of Twatsville and you’re nothing but a wee idiot  who they can strip search. They’ll also make sure there’s a big dog in the same room who looks like he’s just waiting on the command to rip the throat out of the wee tit who thought she was a smart arse because she spoke the language and didn’t like being asked lots of what seemed like pointless questions. If you’re nice and polite they won’t make you cry.

I’m always the politest person in Ben Gurion, occasionally so polite and mannerly they think I’m dodgy and stick a ‘check this wee crawler out’ sticker on my passport. But if you’re still polite and get a bit teary they never get the slavering dog or the nitrile gloves out again.  

So what you're saying is it might be better to leave the "Jerusalem is Palestine, Fuck Trump" banners at home then?

46 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

So what you're saying is it might be better to leave the "Jerusalem is Palestine, Fuck Trump" banners at home then?

Depends if you want to become well acquainted with dogs and rubber gloves. 

(I know who I want on the tamber sweepstake of who’ll now be taking those banners! 🤞🤞)

7 minutes ago, Restless-Native said:

I’m changing flights in Antalya in Turkey. Am I right that I won’t require a visa as I’m remaining within airport?

You thought right. Even if you decide to leave the airport it’s only £20 and can get it in the airport

We arrived  about an hr ago and after 30 min wait in the queue to get to passport controller ( there about 20 odd desks for foreigners).   Then it was easy to get through, guy only asked  why I’m in Israel and how long that’s it , the public busses are on level 2 if anybody looking for cheap travel, like us Miserable gits 😂

Edited by jcs

4 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I’m in Istanbul now. After reading on here I needed a VISA I bought one online. €29. 

Never even asked to show it once 🤷🏼‍♂️

From everyone I’ve spoke to who’s actually left an airport in turkey they’re not really bothered about visas the same as every other country would be. It’s just an extra source of income and nothing more

29 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

From everyone I’ve spoke to who’s actually left an airport in turkey they’re not really bothered about visas the same as every other country would be. It’s just an extra source of income and nothing more

Seems like it. When I got to passport control I put my passport and visa on the table for the guy. He looked at me as if to say “What the fucks that?” 😆

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Seems like it. When I got to passport control I put my passport and visa on the table for the guy. He looked at me as if to say “What the fucks that?” 😆

Because when he scans your passport, it shows up whether passport no. 123 has one or not. The hard copy,should you make one, is only handy, for proving to any jobsworths at your departure points that you have the necessary documentaion in place. 

13 minutes ago, SteveMcD said:

Because when he scans your passport, it shows up whether passport no. 123 has one or not. The hard copy,should you make one, is only handy, for proving to any jobsworths at your departure points that you have the necessary documentation in place. 

Exactly, its a bit of paper, they see everything on their screen.

The Turkish authorities dont let shit slide.

13 hours ago, SteveMcD said:

Because when he scans your passport, it shows up whether passport no. 123 has one or not. The hard copy,should you make one, is only handy, for proving to any jobsworths at your departure points that you have the necessary documentaion in place. 

Ah, good info! Thought I’d been shafted for €29 👍🏼