Team GB - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team GB

PASTA Mick

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It should be England players only that play for them in that case.

Won't be. Kim Little has already said she wants to play. Reason enough for her to be dropped from Scotland. And supposing in the WC finals Scotland do play England, could knock them out, and Kim Little is in the team? It's a ridiculous conflict of interest.

3 hours ago, ger intae them said:

I take it the sfa have agreed this, and then devolved their  responsibility by saying it's the individuals choice?

It's always the individual's choice to play or not, but have the SFA agreed to a Team GB? I wish they'd say. Usually they do contradict the EFA when they breenge in and pre-empt discussion.

7 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

It's always the individual's choice to play or not, but have the SFA agreed to a Team GB? I wish they'd say. Usually they do contradict the EFA when they breenge in and pre-empt discussion.

It seems they have...

• Tokyo 2020 – possible participation of the Great Britain women’s football team: FIFA has now received written confirmation from the four British associations, confirming their intention to allow a British women’s team to try to qualify for the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Tokyo 2020, and that England will be the nominated country to seek a qualification slot for Tokyo 2020 at the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019. This agreement only applies for the women’s, and not the men’s, team.

https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/y=2018/m=10/news=organising-committee-takes-important-decisions-on-fifa-women-s-world-cup.html

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It seems they have...

• Tokyo 2020 – possible participation of the Great Britain women’s football team: FIFA has now received written confirmation from the four British associations, confirming their intention to allow a British women’s team to try to qualify for the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Tokyo 2020, and that England will be the nominated country to seek a qualification slot for Tokyo 2020 at the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019. This agreement only applies for the women’s, and not the men’s, team.

https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/y=2018/m=10/news=organising-committee-takes-important-decisions-on-fifa-women-s-world-cup.html

I thought for a minute that said at the actual world cup. Now that would drive a coach and horses through the idea of 4 separate 'home nations'

Edited by exile

How can the SFA possibly allow this to happen? How can they possibly allow a frankenstein gb-england to come into existence? How can they allow the FA to seduce our players to play for a team who opposes us whose existence threatens our existence? 

London 2012 was meant to be a one off. As said at the time if they wanted a special British presence at London 2012, the Olympic authorities could have allowed the 4 home nations to take part as a one off never to be repeated, but oh no, they opted for what now seems a persistent threat. 

Always said that to players competing at the Olympics should view it as the pinnacle of their sport.

This clearly isn’t the case with the men’s team, probably is for Women’s footballers. I don’t even know who won the woman’s World Cup? Was the tournament last year? Did Brazil win it?

Vote for independence and then we won’t have to keep going on about this. As long as the men stay the feck away then who cares.

J

16 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Always said that to players competing at the Olympics should view it as the pinnacle of their sport.

This clearly isn’t the case with the men’s team, probably is for Women’s footballers. I don’t even know who won the woman’s World Cup? Was the tournament last year? Did Brazil win it?

Vote for independence and then we won’t have to keep going on about this. As long as the men stay the feck away then who cares.

J

Do you know who won gold medal at the last Olympics? 

4 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Do you know who won gold medal at the last Olympics? 

Nope. But I don’t follow Woman’s football. I’m sure those who won it were super happy.

Didnt Brazil men win the gold in their home Olympics?

Anyhoo, I’m sure if you asked every male professional footballer if they would rather an Olympic Gold medal or a World Cup winners medal. It would be 100% World Cup. I reckon it would be different if you asked women footballers.

J

6 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Nope. But I don’t follow Woman’s football. I’m sure those who won it were super happy.

Didnt Brazil men win the gold in their home Olympics?

Anyhoo, I’m sure if you asked every male professional footballer if they would rather an Olympic Gold medal or a World Cup winners medal. It would be 100% World Cup. I reckon it would be different if you asked women footballers.

J

I doubt it. The women's world cup will mean more than the Olympics. 

39 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I doubt it. The women's world cup will mean more than the Olympics. 

Olympics with their global audience and the chance to hang out at the village with a gold medal around your neck.

vs a competition which unless you are a player or have a friend or family member who is a player, you probably don’t even know what year the WWC is played on. Limited TV exposure, etc.

What do I know though.

J

On 10/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, Bristolhibby said:

J

The USA won it in 2015.

The only reason why it's viewed a one of the main pinnacles in the women's game is because of the exposure that the tournament gets compared to the other women's tournaments. The World Cup contains more teams of higher standards than the Olympics - the average position at the previous running of both was 20th (despite the World Cup having twice the amount of teams). Attendance wise too, the World Cup above the Olympics, China hosted both between 2007 and 2008 - the World Cup got an average attendance of 37,218, compared to 28,462 for the Olympics (which had less matches).

The SFA should never have agreed to allow for Team GB to compete in football - even if it's only for the women'. If England do qualify, watch them pick non-English players like they did in 2012 - even after agreeing they wouldn't. Hope England get completely trounced in the World Cup.

On 10/3/2018 at 10:49 PM, Toepoke said:

Presumably if they finish 4th behind Scotland that would still be enough, so we can be discounted from the reckoning. 

As far as I am aware The SFA The Welsh & The Irish have alreadfy agreed that Neville & his English Lassies will represent GB at the olympics..done deal...how much Money changed hands I don't know...but knowing the SFA board...they probably struck a nice little deal for themselves whilst thing...bollocks to Scottish Football Development

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46430993

This in line with talk that the SFA never gave any consent in the first place. Hopefully they've realised the damage such a step could make to the feelgood factor that currently surrounds the ladies team.

The SFA should reject it out of hand. The English FA can't be trusted to pick only English players after what happened for London 2012.

3 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46430993

This in line with talk that the SFA never gave any consent in the first place. Hopefully they've realised the damage such a step could make to the feelgood factor that currently surrounds the ladies team.

Martin. Chris McLaughlin on Reporting Scotland seemed to suggest earlier that Regan had signed this off before he left but clearly no-one else knew about it - or are at least prepared to admit to knowing about it.