Team for israel - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for israel

Malcolm

23 hours ago, ProudScot said:

PASTA Micks team;

Pat Bonner, Tom Boyd, Jack Hendry, Kieran Tierney, James Forrest, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong, Scott Brown, Murdo McLeod, Leigh Griffiths, Henrik Larsson 

Squirrelhumpers team;

Steven O’Donnell, Steve Maskrey, Gordon Greer & 8 Clones of Steven O’Donnell

Steven O’Donnell is obviously captain 

Only kidding lads 😉 🎣

An all time favourite in Perth. Childhood memories for me were Maskrey, Sammy Johnston and Grant(Shaggy) Jenkins.

McGregor

McKenna  Mulgrew  Tierney

O'Donnell  McGinn  McDonald  McGregor  Robertson

Naismith  Griffiths

I think this is what McLeish will pick. I dont think Russell did enough last game to start ahead of Griffiths.

Id play Shinnie or McTominay ahead of McDonald, who hasnt had the best run of form sadly.

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

McGregor

McKenna  Mulgrew  Tierney

O'Donnell  McGinn  McDonald  McGregor  Robertson

Naismith  Griffiths

I think this is what McLeish will pick. I dont think Russell did enough last game to start ahead of Griffiths.

Id play Shinnie or McTominay ahead of McDonald, who hasnt had the best run of form sadly.

Why would you drop Souttar after last game. He strolled it. Also ARMSTRONG must play. He make big difference to our team. Not convinced at all about McDonald and I see he has been dropped by Fulham

4 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Why would you drop Souttar after last game. He strolled it. Also ARMSTRONG must play. He make big difference to our team. Not convinced at all about McDonald and I see he has been dropped by Fulham

McLeish will play Mulgrew and Tierney, plus one, I think McKenna is a better player than Souttar.

Armstrong is still coming back from injury I believe, Im a big fan of his when he is on form. 

At present I would go: Shagger; Souttar, McKenna, KT; SOD, Armstrong, McGinn, McGregor, Robertson; Fraser; Griffiths/Naismith.

McDonald isn't good enough for international football. Mulgrewproving quite error prone.

Formation not my favoured one but the result last time justifies it and McLeish in using it

33 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

No Matt Ritchie in the squad. Surprising as he plays most weeks for Newcastle United in the EPL. Granted he hasn't exactly played great for Scotland but so has alot of others who still get picked.

He's the only player i have ever given up on. no doubting his ability and he should be able to play international football.

Not sure if it's an attitude problem an inability to adapt his game from what he is used to, a need to know the players around him or what, but he really has had his chances now, you could of course say the same about one or two others. Forrest perhaps?

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's the only player i have ever given up on. no doubting his ability and he should be able to play international football.

Not sure if it's an attitude problem an inability to adapt his game from what he is used to, a need to know the players around him or what, but he really has had his chances now, you could of course say the same about one or two others. Forrest perhaps?

Tbf I do agree with what your saying but there is alot of players who have played poorly and yet still get picked. At the end of the day he isn't a massive loss but I still think he's worth a place in the squad. His goal against Poland was beauty.

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Far too slow for international football. Gives the ball away far too much.

Great left foot though. 

4 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Far too slow for international football. Gives the ball away far too much.

Great left foot though. 

Sorry but this is the bit I don't get, ok he's not good enough to play against France but very few of our players are.Given the quality of most international opposition any player who is fast enough or who doesn't give the ball away enough to be seen as worthy of a regular starting place in the EPL  should be good enough for your run of the mill international opposition.

I don't see how you need to be faster against say Slovenia than West Ham and I would imagine the West Ham players are far more likely to intercept or read the game better than the Slovenians. 

Of course having said that I hope he has had his last cap but no matter how poor you think the EPL is very few International sides would survive in it

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

At present I would go: Shagger; Souttar, McKenna, KT; SOD, Armstrong, McGinn, McGregor, Robertson; Fraser; Griffiths/Naismith.

McDonald isn't good enough for international football. Mulgrewproving quite error prone.

Formation not my favoured one but the result last time justifies it and McLeish in using it

This would be my team too

2 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

TBH, no complaints with the squad and happy to see so many SPFL players in there.

Not that I'm a chest-pumping Scots-born/bred squad ; but its very nice to see a squad with 'proper' Scots in there too.

I'm not Eck's biggest fan, but he gets us 3pts in Israel then fair dues and if we win this group ; then he deserves a lot of credit.

So Scottish players that play in England are not ‘proper’ Scots?

McDonald isn't good enough for international football. 

If he’s good enough for the English premier league he’s good enough for Scotland. Not that playing in the top league in England means he should be an automatic start or anything but he should be considered.

I agree he hasn’t been at his best in his 3 or so caps but that doesn’t mean he can’t do a job for us. 

How can you write a player off after so few games for us?

11 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

McGinn needs to stay in the side. He needs experience, but he can be our best midfielder since Barry Ferguson. His tackling is quite unbelievable and he sets the tempo for the whole team.

You're right actually. I was really impressed with McGinn against Albania. He deserves to start. 

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf I do agree with what your saying but there is alot of players who have played poorly and yet still get picked. At the end of the day he isn't a massive loss but I still think he's worth a place in the squad. His goal against Poland was beauty.

I think McLeish is 100% right on this. He obviously thinks his attitude stinks and he did give a warning to players that pull out from the start of his tenure. He obviously thinks if he picks him, he'll be a man down from the first whistle

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If he’s good enough for the English premier league he’s good enough for Scotland. Not that playing in the top league in England means he should be an automatic start or anything but he should be considered.

I agree he hasn’t been at his best in his 3 or so caps but that doesn’t mean he can’t do a job for us. 

Given that he's now been dropped by Fulham, I'd question if be is good enough for the EPL.

Regardless of this, he has not been good enough in his Scotland appearances so far. His movement of the ball is too slow which takes away from our style based on quick transitions from defence to attack. He hasn't been effective defensively at tracking central midfield runners.

I'm not against a sitting midfielder. In the current system it could be highly effective. However McDonald doesn't look capable of playing the high intensity style of play that we've looked to play since the start of Gordon Strachan's time in charge.

Given that he's now been dropped by Fulham, I'd question if be is good enough for the EPL.

Regardless of this, he has not been good enough in his Scotland appearances so far. His movement of the ball is too slow which takes away from our style based on quick transitions from defence to attack. He hasn't been effective defensively at tracking central midfield runners.

I'm not against a sitting midfielder. In the current system it could be highly effective. However McDonald doesn't look capable of playing the high intensity style of play that we've looked to play since the start of Gordon Strachan's time in charge.

Dropped?

He has started most of Fulham’s matches this season. He was subbed at half time against Watford and didn’t start against Everton. This suggests an injury problem (although I think he did start against Millwall?) or a temporary dip in form. 

If he does lose his place in the Fulham team long term then he won’t be selected by McLeish anyway. 

Maybe we should give the guy a chance though instead of writing his international career (and club career it seems) off after a few games. 

He was injured, not dropped. Fulham fans on Twitter are crying out for his return and he is club captain.

"Fulham captain Tom Cairney is fit to face Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday after a month out with an ankle injury. "

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think he's probably referring to your Matt Phillips types who qualify through a grandparent.

That's what I meant. 

I'm not doubting McTominey, Cairney, Jordan Archer etc loyalty. 

Poor choice of words using proper I suppose, but I'm meaning the journeymen who played for us because England didn't come calling. 

3 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I think McDonald has looked ok in his last couple of games for us but he’s not a long term answer. McTominay would be the obvious option in his place but he needs games at club level.

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Being considered is one thing but he should be nowhere near the starting 11 given the alternatives IMO.

PS - Plenty of EPL players haven't had call ups over the years.