Team for israel - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for israel

Malcolm

I think the team will start exactly as it did against Albania, but if I were to change it slightly I would like to see what this team could do:

McGregor

Souttar  McKenna  Tierney

O'Donnell                                                Robertson
                                                                                McTominay

McGinn                          McGregor

Russell   Naismith

McBurnie and Forrest also deserve a run out for sure.

6 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

McGregor -------------------
------- Souttar - McKenna - Tierney -------
O'Donnell ------------------------- Robertson
----- McGregor - McGinn - Armstrong -----
------------ Forrest ----- Naismith -----------

I actually quite like Armstrong, but I'd rather we started players who have played competitive football this month.

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

McGregor -------------------
------- Souttar - McKenna - Tierney -------
O'Donnell ------------------------- Robertson
----- McGregor - McGinn - Armstrong -----
------------ Forrest ----- Naismith -----------

That would be my team also

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Be very surprised if Mulgrew isn't in the centre of  defence which I agree with, probably at the expense of McKenna.

Be even more surprised if Armstrong starts unless he looks brilliant in training. So probably so probably Mctominay or McDonald leading to a more defensive midfield. 

I think you may be right here. The problem this gives us is that we'll be weaker in attack against a team we can beat, if we are up for it. 

We need to think positive tonight. We should be going into this game with good thoughts unlike Israel. They have lost all of their international matches in the last year. An early goal from us and keep pressing and it could be a comfortable win. Too negative and defensive and it could give them a boost to their confidence and set them up for a good result.

51 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Be very surprised if Mulgrew isn't in the centre of  defence which I agree with, probably at the expense of McKenna.

Be even more surprised if Armstrong starts unless he looks brilliant in training. So probably so probably Mctominay or McDonald leading to a more defensive midfield. 

Maybe Macdonald but if things aren't going for us we will need to put Armstrong on at some point. He hooked macdonald against Albania at half time for Armstrong so he could do that again.

16 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Tbf, he could be right. We usually struggle against teams like these away from home

And that’s the mentality that has got us beaten in these games in the past. 

We are a good team, with good individual players. McLeish is certainly talking a good game and I believe we will get a result tonight.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Like, say Lithuania or Malta?

Georgia, Macedonia...and our record in Lithuania isn't great! 

Pretty sure we've not taken 6 points off the bottom 2 seeds in a group since France 98 and if we had done in every campaign we'd have qualified a few times and reached the play-offs a couple times more too. 

On 10/8/2018 at 9:55 PM, Malcolm said:

I can’t imagine Griffiths will throw his toys out the pram.  He is struggling with Celtic just now so probably best for us all that he tries to get a game there before being considered for Scotland again.  It shows the paucity of options when we are worrying about this.

The reason he isn't playing is influenced by the location of the match - he doesn't want to upset politico hardliners in the Green Brigade by not boycotting Israel. Disappointed he hasn't had the nuts to admit this.

He will want to play in the next round of matches - unless we are drawn against 1980s South Africa ...

19 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Georgia, Macedonia...and our record in Lithuania isn't great! 

Pretty sure we've not taken 6 points off the bottom 2 seeds in a group since France 98 and if we had done in every campaign we'd have qualified a few times and reached the play-offs a couple times more too. 

Would take a scrappy 1-0 win now. 

A win tonight would see a bit of momentum accumulating - we would be virtually rule out of relegation too :D

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Or Slovenia?

And for every one of those, we have a draws in the Faroes and losses in Georgia, Moldova, Macedonia and Lithuania. In fact, some of the worst football I've seen us play is against the 'smaller' nations, away from home

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Maybe Macdonald but if things aren't going for us we will need to put Armstrong on at some point. He hooked macdonald against Albania at half time for Armstrong so he could do that again.

Don't like the word hooked, prefer tactical substitution.A solid set up to start the match and when t was obvious by half time that , we could afford more flair than stability in defence.

Maybe I am giving McLeish too much credit., but still have nightmares about  a Levien management performance against Lithuania. 8 years ago.

McGregor and Naismith will line up again tonight  

Edited by ceudmilefailte