Team for israel - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for israel

Malcolm

Losing Griffiths and Fraser is disappointing.  There are two players which I believe we should be setting up to get the best out of them.  

I think I'd go with something like this now, assuming we are stuck with 3 at the back - 

Gordon

Souttar     McKenna     Teirney

O'Donnell     McGregor     McGinn     Robertson

Forrest     McBurnie     Naismith

I expect it to be more like this -

McGregor

Souttar     Mulgrew     Teirney

O'Donnell     McGregor     McDonald     McGinn     Robertson

Russell     Naismith

17 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I've said it before - Scotland seem to have a higher proportion of call-offs than other countries, regardless of who is the manager. How many have England had for example so far?

and englands games are meaningless

as they will just qualify anyway

baffling

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Losing Griffiths and Fraser is disappointing.  There are two players which I believe we should be setting up to get the best out of them.  

I think I'd go with something like this now, assuming we are stuck with 3 at the back - 

Gordon

Souttar     McKenna     Teirney

O'Donnell     McGregor     McGinn     Robertson

Forrest     McBurnie     Naismith

I expect it to be more like this -

McGregor

Souttar     Mulgrew     Teirney

O'Donnell     McGregor     McDonald     McGinn     Robertson

Russell     Naismith

Not sure about the second one but either way I still feel confident. Not to underestimate Israel but we're a good team. 

38 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I've said it before - Scotland seem to have a higher proportion of call-offs than other countries, regardless of who is the manager. How many have England had for example so far?

At this point in time, the more selfish players won;t see Scotland as a benefit to them but you can bet your arse they'd be fighting fit if we were on the verge of qualifying

21 minutes ago, Bino's said:

and englands games are meaningless

as they will just qualify anyway

baffling

that's probably why they have less call offs, they want to stay and fight for their place because they know they will be going to a major tournament

Losing Fraser and Griffith's is a big loss, with Fraser it seems to be a recurring theme, hopefully he isn't just calling off for no reason as we could really do with him as he has shown really good form in the EPL. He will probably be back playing for Bournemouth next week as well which always seems to be the case with alot of our call offs. Hopefully Forrest can step in and recreate his Celtic form.

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Losing Fraser and Griffith's is a big loss, with Fraser it seems to be a recurring theme, hopefully he isn't just calling off for no reason as we could really do with him as he has shown really good form in the EPL. He will probably be back playing for Bournemouth next week as well which always seems to be the case with alot of our call offs. Hopefully Forrest can step in and recreate his Celtic form.

Didn’t there used to be a rule that players couldn’t play for their club after an international if they pulled out without medical evidence? 

A fit and on form Griffiths is a loss, currently not so sure.  Ryan Fraser on the other hand I am disappointed to read of that, I really like the lads style and was looking forward to seeing him in once again for us.  

Edited by romanticscot

Griffiths is probably the only Scottish player around at the moment who can produce something out of the ordinary.  Ignoring all the drama and hearsay, his unavailability is a blow. 

Really disappointed to hear Fraser has withdrawn too - if he could transfer his club form to the national side he could have been a match winner for us. He seems to be becoming the new Neil McCann with the amount of times he has pulled out of squads though. 

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Not sure about the second one but either way I still feel confident. Not to underestimate Israel but we're a good team. 

Isn't that second one the starting line up from the Albania match? I think it's a solid prediction, but I'd much rather see the likes of Fraser and McTominay. I'd also love for McBurnie to be given a start to see what he can do. 

One thing I think that is important is that we go full-blooded for the win. If we do that I think we'll have too much for them. And no I am not underestimating them but merely looking at facts. We go into the game on the back of a decent win against Albania last month. The same Albania side who, themselves beat Israel. Israel come into the match on a losing streak that stretches over a year of straight defeats.

We do have options now which is good. For me I would start with a line-up like this:-

McGregor

Soutter   Mulgrew   Tierney

O Donnell   McGinn   McGregor  Armstrong    Robertson 

Russell   Naismith

Fraser has been having difficulties with injuries since the start of last season. Howe the Bournemouth manager has consistently said that their priority is to keep him fit because of injuries. he was substituted in the 66th minute to protect him. I think we  need him for the really big important games.

49 minutes ago, sandyb said:

Fraser has been having difficulties with injuries since the start of last season. Howe the Bournemouth manager has consistently said that their priority is to keep him fit because of injuries. he was substituted in the 66th minute to protect him. I think we  need him for the really big important games.

I feel bad now, seems he made a big effort to stay in the squad. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Griffiths and Fraser are huge blows.

Griffiths is our main striker & Fraser is our next best player after Robertson. 

I’m not sure if Griffiths is our main striker. If he was he’d have started against Albania. He certainly should be our main striker but his erratic form, fitness issues and attitude mean that he’s not a certain starter. 

I doubt he’d have started against Israel unless McLeish went with both him and Naismith. 

Maybe McBurnie will get the nod if McLeish fancies 2 up front.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

that's probably why they have less call offs, they want to stay and fight for their place because they know they will be going to a major tournament

Imagine the furore if Kane pulled out to save his fitness for a stetched Tottenham squad

Talk England and Alan Brazil would be going on about it for weeks

52 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

According to McLeish, Fraser was desperate to stay with the squad but as he had 'failed' his medical the SFA thought he should be sent  back to Bournemouth. 

Just like he failed his medical the last time, was straight back in and has been an ever present in the Bournemouth team

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

One thing I think that is important is that we go full-blooded for the win. If we do that I think we'll have too much for them. And no I am not underestimating them but merely looking at facts. We go into the game on the back of a decent win against Albania last month. The same Albania side who, themselves beat Israel. Israel come into the match on a losing streak that stretches over a year of straight defeats.

We do have options now which is good. For me I would start with a line-up like this:-

McGregor

Soutter   Mulgrew   Tierney

O Donnell   McGinn   McGregor  Armstrong    Robertson 

Russell   Naismith

Armstrong? 

I’m a firm believer in starting players that are playing regularly for their clubs. Armstrong isn’t even getting on to the Southampton bench at the moment.