Team for israel - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for israel

Malcolm

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Has that been reported anywhere or is this insider information?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alex-mcleish-reveals-celtic-striker-13342963.amp

It was in the Daily Record and The Sun so hardly cast iron sources but they do quote McLeish so I’m inclined to believe it. 

I should say that the spitting the dummy part is just my interpretation of it. 

Edited by Texas Pete

'In a statement released by the Scottish Football Association, Griffiths said: “I feel that I need to focus on my fitness over this international period and get back into the best possible shape.

“I had a good discussion with the manager to explain my decision. It’s not one that I’ve made lightly.

“It means a lot to me to play for Scotland and I hope to be part of Alex’s plans again in future, if selected.'

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm sure you said that a few months back when I predicted SOD would be called up.

Who would you call up, given current form?

I’d probably look at the 3 strikers remaining in the squad and be happy with that considering we will only start one of them.

Brophy should be nowhere near the squad.

19 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

'In a statement released by the Scottish Football Association, Griffiths said: “I feel that I need to focus on my fitness over this international period and get back into the best possible shape.

“I had a good discussion with the manager to explain my decision. It’s not one that I’ve made lightly.

“It means a lot to me to play for Scotland and I hope to be part of Alex’s plans again in future, if selected.'

I find it hard to imagine Griffiths saying any of that. Somebody else must have written it for him.

Chick Young has solved your problem: he has suggested...Stephen Dobbie.

Also - McGinn is apparently a doubt. That would worry me more. Not happy about Naismith being on his own up front - he is not an out-and-out no 9, more of a 10. So McBurnie is the obvious choice.

Edited by Third Lanark

37 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I find it hard to imagine Griffiths saying any of that. Somebody else must have written it for him.

If he struggling for fitness then that's fine,and maybe he feels he will get more attention at the Celtic facilities but  some training opportunity and potential game time - I would have stayed with the Scotland squad but that is an uneducated opinion. 

30 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I’d probably look at the 3 strikers remaining in the squad and be happy with that considering we will only start one of them.

Brophy should be nowhere near the squad.

Aye, a guy from the U21s should be nowhere near the full squad? Strange outlook to have.

I said there was rumours on Twitter that he was a replacement, I never said I'd call him up.

That said, I can see why they might as he's pretty similar to Griffiths in a lot of ways and the same was said about SOD being nowhere near the squad.

You just stick to wanting English nonentities called up, i'll stick to commenting on players I actually watch.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, a guy from the U21s should be nowhere near the full squad? Strange outlook to have.

I said there was rumours on Twitter that he was a replacement, I never said I'd call him up.

That said, I can see why they might as he's pretty similar to Griffiths in a lot of ways and the same was said about SOD being nowhere near the squad.

You just stick to wanting English nonentities called up, i'll stick to commenting on players I actually watch.

You are bang on. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I wouldn't be against Brophy getting into the squad for experience and all that but I'd rather he stayed with the u21s for their 2 huge, tough matches.

Unless McLeish seriously thinks he might use him in Israel, he should stay where he is.

McBurnie, Naismith and Russell give us enough options for Israel. Not to worried about the Portugal game. 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Naismith has done more at international level than Griffiths probably ever will.

To say Griffiths is a class above is nonsense IMO

Go on then what has Naismith done at International level - i must have missed that

As a striker which both are employed as you cant argue that Naismith is better in that position then Griff, surely 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Lee Erwin would be about 3rd or 4th choice striker if he was at Killie just now. Nowhere near international level, especially now he's playing out there.

I was being sarcastic i would have thought that would have been obvious when i used the words Lee & Erwin in relation to a scotland national squad

Griffith's is a better striker than Naismith and will be sorely missed if he doesn't come back. As for shankland, surely we shouldn't be calling up players from the Scottish championship when there must be several options ahead of him that are better. The Scottish championship must be on a par with league 2 in England. If he gets a move to the spl or England and scores goals at that level then we can start to think about calling him up. Anyways Griffith's was a good performer last campaign and will be missed alot imo.

naismith has a poor scoring record for scotland and his at the end of his career. we shouldnt be counting on him to get us to a tournament, griffiths almost took us into the playoffs and im sure would have done if strachan had given him more game time. this has got levein and fletcher all over it, in fact mcleish is reminding me already of leveins reign. wouldnt be suprised if there are more players pulling out of squads for dubious reasons during his time in charge. i have a very bad feeling about all of this. if we dont beat israel and get pumped off of portugal, the pressure will be right back on.

47 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Sportsound were going on about some tweet Griffiths liked that was slagging McLeish.  The way they were talking it sounded like it had just happened but it was from about a month ago!

Ha, didn't know that. Was listening to it earlier.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Michael Stewart revealed management must have went through Griffiths during half time of the Belgium game and this how it all started. Probable slanging match ensued I'd imagine, Griffths then dropped for Albania.

Stewart referred to previous issues with Steven Fletcher and Kris Boyd, how we have this knack for mis-managing these important players and shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Peter Grant sounded pretty positive about it earlier. Griffith should sort himself out during this international break and Mcleish  should make sure this situation is resolved in time for the November fixtures. As Stewart said "it's mental" that we keep finding ourselves in this situation.

I can’t imagine Griffiths will throw his toys out the pram.  He is struggling with Celtic just now so probably best for us all that he tries to get a game there before being considered for Scotland again.  It shows the paucity of options when we are worrying about this.

1 hour ago, LewisEDI said:

naismith has a poor scoring record for scotland and his at the end of his career. we shouldnt be counting on him to get us to a tournament, griffiths almost took us into the playoffs and im sure would have done if strachan had given him more game time. this has got levein and fletcher all over it, in fact mcleish is reminding me already of leveins reign. wouldnt be suprised if there are more players pulling out of squads for dubious reasons during his time in charge. i have a very bad feeling about all of this. if we dont beat israel and get pumped off of portugal, the pressure will be right back on.

How did Griffiths nearly take us to a tournament? He scored 4 of our 17 goals. He got us a point against England but that’s about it.

Before the England game at Hampden his scoring record for Scotland was atrocious. In fact, he had never scored for us. 

Not that I don’t rate Griffiths. I think he’s a good player but he’s hardly Lionel Messi and we’ll do OK without without him on Thursday. I doubt he’d have started anyway. 

Griffiths scores around one goal every 4.5 games on average for Scotland and Naismith scores one in six so Griffiths does have a better record but Naismith isn’t an out and out number 9 so that’s hardly surprising. 

I actually think McBurnie will be our main striker over the next couple of years. Time will tell on that though.