Team for israel - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for israel

Malcolm

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That made me go and do some googling on the last time we played Portugal just out of curiosity to see how we did.

20/11/2002.

Beaten 2-0 by them in Braga, both goals scored before twenty minutes were on the clock. Big Rab Douglas saved a penalty kick and Russell Anderson had to be taken off on a stretcher.

BBC match report here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/scotland/2493105.stm

Our team was - Robert Douglas (Celtic), Russell Anderson (Aberdeen), Maurice Ross (Rangers), Steven Pressley (Hearts), Christian Dailly (West Ham), Lee Wilkie (Dundee), Graham Alexander (Preston), Stephen Crawford (Dunfermline), Scott Dobie (West Brom), Paul Lambert [c] (Celtic), Gary Naysmith (Everton)                     

Subs were:

Derek McInnes (West Brom) for Anderson (24), Paul Devlin (Birmingham City) for Ross (HT), Gareth Williams (Nott'm Forest) for Lambert (68), Kevin Kyle (Sunderland) for Dobie (78), Scott Severin (Hearts) for Lee Wilkie (83).

Urgh! What a crud squad!

For some reason i have no recollection of that game.

18 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That made me go and do some googling on the last time we played Portugal just out of curiosity to see how we did.

20/11/2002.

Beaten 2-0 by them in Braga, both goals scored before twenty minutes were on the clock. Big Rab Douglas saved a penalty kick and Russell Anderson had to be taken off on a stretcher.

BBC match report here.

Our team was - Robert Douglas (Celtic), Russell Anderson (Aberdeen), Maurice Ross (Rangers), Steven Pressley (Hearts), Christian Dailly (West Ham), Lee Wilkie (Dundee), Graham Alexander (Preston), Stephen Crawford (Dunfermline), Scott Dobie (West Brom), Paul Lambert [c] (Celtic), Gary Naysmith (Everton)                     

Subs were:

Derek McInnes (West Brom) for Anderson (24), Paul Devlin (Birmingham City) for Ross (HT), Gareth Williams (Nott'm Forest) for Lambert (68), Kevin Kyle (Sunderland) for Dobie (78), Scott Severin (Hearts) for Lee Wilkie (83).

Kevin Kyle is among the worst players I think I’ve ever seen in a Scotland shirt.

Awful player. 

15 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

You're right.

What do you think was the worst ever squad?

Hard to call. It has to be one of the pinstripe shirt era squads. Out of that squad above, Dailly, Lambert and Naysmith are the only good players. The rest are average at best and most not even close to that.

That said, I think Berti was a better manager than Burley, who had better players and did worse that Vogts.

Edited by Rude Gullit

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

20/11/2002.

BBC match report here.

Subs were:

Jeez. 5 central defenders. No wonder we lost.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:07 AM, Rude Gullit said:

Hard to call. It has to be one of the pinstripe shirt era squads. Out of that squad above, Dailly, Lambert and Naysmith are the only good players. The rest are average at best and most not even close to that.

That said, I think Berti was a better manager than Burley, who had better players and did worse that Vogts.

And you're stretching it with dailly and naysmith

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Ordinarily we would miss him, but he hasn’t look fit in the last few games. Shocking decision from him all the same and I suspect we might not see too much more of him. 

I think we'll miss him massively, he's a class above McBurnie, Nasiy and Russell, he can make a real difference. 

Most worrying thing for me is 

1/ Statement gave me no confidence that he wants to be back i may be reading too much into this but possibly a bust up with Big Eck

2/ Where is this trend of players choosing which games they can attend. McArthur (i backed his decision originally but looking back on it i may have been wrong), Snodgrass trying to duck out before (he wouldnt make it in my squad anyway) and now Griff - is this players not fancying playing for Scotland or Big Eck 

45 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Griffiths has just pulled out from the squad (no word on replacement yet)

If you think about it who would you call up as a replacement, scary thing is i dont think there is anyone you really could who is fit and in any shape of form 

Anyone know how Lee Erwin is performing in Iran? 

Edited by borojock

27 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Ordinarily we would miss him, but he hasn’t look fit in the last few games. Shocking decision from him all the same and I suspect we might not see too much more of him. 

So player pulls out of squad as he's not fit, you yourself admit that he hasn't looked ft in the last few games and you then go on to call it a shocking decision from him, brilliant stuff.

Edited by Mox

32 minutes ago, borojock said:

Where is this trend of players choosing which games they can attend. McArthur (i backed his decision originally but looking back on it i may have been wrong), Snodgrass trying to duck out before (he wouldnt make it in my squad anyway) and now Griff - is this players not fancying playing for Scotland or Big Eck 

I’ve said this umpteen times before when arseholes like Weir and Boyd did it. You don’t play for a manager in International fitba’. You play for your country and nothing more. If you walk out because you don’t like a manager then you should never ever get the chance to pull on the dark blue again. 

Ah feck sake Griffiths. I reallly thought this game would be ideal for him naisy to play upfront, not the best opposition and opportunity for him to get a goal or  2 and get his confidence back up. In a way I totally understand what he's doing, he recognises he has fitness issues and it is affecting his club form so he's trying to remedy that as best possible. Maybe could have had an agreement to play the Israel game only and go back to Celtic. 

I don't believe for a minute that "we might not see too much more from him".  

35 minutes ago, borojock said:

I think we'll miss him massively, he's a class above McBurnie, Nasiy and Russell, he can make a real difference. 

1/ Statement gave me no confidence that he wants to be back i may be reading too much into this but possibly a bust up with Big Eck

2/ Where is this trend of players choosing which games they can attend. McArthur (i backed his decision originally but looking back on it i may have been wrong), Snodgrass trying to duck out before (he wouldnt make it in my squad anyway) and now Griff - is this players not fancying playing for Scotland or Big Eck 

I’m not sure if there has been a bust up but Griffiths certainly isn’t happy.

He spat the dummy after being dropped for the Albania game. McLeish says he tried to phone him after it but Griffiths ignored him. He’s always been a wee fanny. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure if there has been a bust up but Griffiths certainly isn’t happy.

He spat the dummy after being dropped for the Albania game. McLeish says he tried to phone him after it but Griffiths ignored him. He’s always been a wee fanny. 

Has that been reported anywhere or is this insider information?

30 minutes ago, Mox said:

So player pulls out of squad as he's not fit, you yourself admit that he hasn't looked ft in the last few games and you then go on to call it a shocking decision from him, brilliant stuff.

Players get fit playing games and he’s started the last 2 for Celtic. He’s not as fit as he should be, but fit enough to play if his heart was in it. 

52 minutes ago, borojock said:

Naismith has done more at international level than Griffiths probably ever will.

To say Griffiths is a class above is nonsense IMO