Team for israel - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for israel

Malcolm

On 10/2/2018 at 2:49 PM, andyD said:

Call me old, but i want players to learn to play at their clubs, while the national side is used to play the team most likely to get a result.

That is old thinking. Thinking of the era when we had top quality in our side such as Dalglish, Souness, Jordan, Miller, McLeish etc etc etc and the youngsters could afford to be blooded until ready. This is a different age now. We do not have experienced top quality international players cramming to get into the side - quite the opposite actually hence the potential top quality youngsters have to get rail-roaded straight into the side. And, do you know what? It is a system that has worked for Wales to their benefit so it can work for us.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is old thinking. Thinking of the era when we had top quality in our side such as Dalglish, Souness, Jordan, Miller, McLeish etc etc etc and the youngsters could afford to be blooded until ready. This is a different age now. We do not have experienced top quality international players cramming to get into the side - quite the opposite actually hence the potential top quality youngsters have to get rail-roaded straight into the side. And, do you know what? It is a system that has worked for Wales to their benefit so it can work for us.

Ethan Ampadu a good example.

Not made an appearance for Chelsea in the league and he has a few caps & was capped at 17

45 minutes ago, borojock said:

Im not saying the info below means anything but just thought it was interesting 

Out of the current squads selected this week the % of players born outside of the country they are representing is

Wales - 48%

Rep Ire - 43.75%

N.I. - 32%

Scot - 13% 

Fantastic work @borojock - I wouldn't use the stat for anything other than being interested in it, but that is surprising we are currently quite low in terms of players being born elsewhere.

For our squad, KT, Scott McTominay and Oli McBurnie are the non Scottish born Scots. Th likes of Chris Martin and Matt Ritchie appear to be phased out while Cairney and Phillips are injured. Even with Cairney and Phillips included, it would only be 21% of the squad, which is quite low in comparison to our Celtic cousins.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Pretty sure Wales have capped youngsters yet to make their full debuts for their clubs and they did well enough at the last Euros. 

I know I’m agreeing with you.

We would rather call up Jock McTavish from Dundee who’s 32 because he’s played 300 SPL games and “isn’t that bad” than Billy Gilmour for example 

24 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We would rather call up Jock McTavish from Dundee who’s 32 because he’s played 300 SPL games and “isn’t that bad” than Billy Gilmour for example 

Jock has had a cracking start to the season formed a great partnership with Hamish "old timer" McSporran 

Get them both called up 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Again, this is the previous regime. You’ve yet to retrieve your toys from the vicinity if your pram despite all available evidence pointing to youth now being heavily promoted, and not just in the full squad. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I know. Football is different to how it was even ten years ago. There have been players who now crack international football before club football. Aaron Ramsey was a prime example where he had only played a dozen games at Championship level before debuting for Wales and by the time he had played two dozen games he was a regular for Wales and scoring for them. In his case international form really kick started his club career. It certainly happens in other cases too.

Why is Barry Bannan not being considered by no one. He is genuinely on fire at the moment. An absolute class act for Sheffield Wednesday sometimes single handedly keeping them in games and always running things. A midfield with Bazza and Mcginn is a dream come true. And yet the little maestro never gets a mention, it's criminal.

1 hour ago, TommyCraig said:

Why is Barry Bannan not being considered by no one. He is genuinely on fire at the moment. An absolute class act for Sheffield Wednesday sometimes single handedly keeping them in games and always running things. A midfield with Bazza and Mcginn is a dream come true. And yet the little maestro never gets a mention, it's criminal.

Well mainly because we are well stacked in midfield at the moment with players playing at a higher level such as Fraser, McDonald, McGregor and Armstrong. Why is he being overlooked for McGinn? Well Bannan had a run in the team under Strachan and didn't quite make the same impact in the team as McGinn has.

2 hours ago, TommyCraig said:

Cos he’s beyond shite and proved so about 20 times 

50 minutes ago, borojock said:

i see the Isreali striker scored against Celtic twice tonight didnt watch the game so dont know if he had a good game but hopefully someone in the Scotland camp has had him watched as hes scored a few goals this season will be a threat a week tonight 

Agreed, he looks dangerous.

23 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Bookies have us as 2/1 underdogs 

I’ll have £20 on that I think.

Israel aren’t far off those odds either with the few bookies I’ve checked.

I think the bookies fancy a draw or a narrow Israel victory. Can’t really blame them based our away record. 

11 hours ago, TommyCraig said:

If bannan is on form then Sheffield Wednesday look like a completely different team. He is genuinely a class act who should be in our squad imo.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

If bannan is on form then Sheffield Wednesday look like a completely different team. He is genuinely a class act who should be in our squad imo.

He's had lots of good spells for Wednesday, but he is another player to put in the "whatever the reason cant reproduce it for Scotland" basket.

Good a player as Forrest is should probably put him in there too.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

Roll call for current squad - any call offs yet?

I was telling myself I was not going to say this but Ronaldo is not in the Portugal squad. it might give us false hope but I would love a good performance against them and to avoid defeat.  Anytime we have played anyone of a top end caliber we usually get a right hiding.  I will the first to admit it, if we do get a hiding I will be on here saying this game didn't matter :)

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I was telling myself I was not going to say this but Ronaldo is not in the Portugal squad. it might give us false hope but I would love a good performance against them and to avoid defeat.  Anytime we have played anyone of a top end caliber we usually get a right hiding.  I will the first to admit it, if we do get a hiding I will be on here saying this game didn't matter :)

That made me go and do some googling on the last time we played Portugal just out of curiosity to see how we did.

20/11/2002.

Beaten 2-0 by them in Braga, both goals scored before twenty minutes were on the clock. Big Rab Douglas saved a penalty kick and Russell Anderson had to be taken off on a stretcher.

BBC match report here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/scotland/2493105.stm

Our team was - Robert Douglas (Celtic), Russell Anderson (Aberdeen), Maurice Ross (Rangers), Steven Pressley (Hearts), Christian Dailly (West Ham), Lee Wilkie (Dundee), Graham Alexander (Preston), Stephen Crawford (Dunfermline), Scott Dobie (West Brom), Paul Lambert [c] (Celtic), Gary Naysmith (Everton)                     

Subs were:

Derek McInnes (West Brom) for Anderson (24), Paul Devlin (Birmingham City) for Ross (HT), Gareth Williams (Nott'm Forest) for Lambert (68), Kevin Kyle (Sunderland) for Dobie (78), Scott Severin (Hearts) for Lee Wilkie (83).

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That made me go and do some googling on the last time we played Portugal just out of curiosity to see how we did.

20/11/2002.

Beaten 2-0 by them in Braga, both goals scored before twenty minutes were on the clock. Big Rab Douglas saved a penalty kick and Russell Anderson had to be taken off on a stretcher.

BBC match report here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/scotland/2493105.stm

Our team was - Robert Douglas (Celtic), Russell Anderson (Aberdeen), Maurice Ross (Rangers), Steven Pressley (Hearts), Christian Dailly (West Ham), Lee Wilkie (Dundee), Graham Alexander (Preston), Stephen Crawford (Dunfermline), Scott Dobie (West Brom), Paul Lambert [c] (Celtic), Gary Naysmith (Everton)                     

Subs were:

Derek McInnes (West Brom) for Anderson (24), Paul Devlin (Birmingham City) for Ross (HT), Gareth Williams (Nott'm Forest) for Lambert (68), Kevin Kyle (Sunderland) for Dobie (78), Scott Severin (Hearts) for Lee Wilkie (83).

7 defenders. Must have been a 7-1-2 formation. Paul Lambert must have been fukin knackered.