Average Players With Big Medal Collections - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Average Players With Big Medal Collections

On 9/28/2018 at 6:30 AM, vanderark14 said:

James Forrest 

correct

On 9/28/2018 at 12:57 PM, dan cake said:

Gary Cahill has numourus epl titles, fa cups, league cup, champions league,europa league and super cup medals

he's not very good 

correct

On 9/28/2018 at 2:39 PM, Tartan_McCole said:

A lot of people say that about Valdes, but I genuinely don't think there were many (or any) goalkeepers around that would have been able to play the way Guardiola wanted him to play to as high a standard as him.

agree, when Pep took over and started the playing from the back stuff he adapted well and was always a prett solid keeper, unlucky to play in the same time as Casillas really or he would have had much more caps.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:39 PM, Tartan_McCole said:

A lot of people say that about Valdes, but I genuinely don't think there were many (or any) goalkeepers around that would have been able to play the way Guardiola wanted him to play to as high a standard as him.

On 9/28/2018 at 4:30 PM, Parklife said:

Yup, a great footballing 'keeper. Bemusing to me to see him in this thread. 

23 minutes ago, Kirk said:

correct

correct

agree, when Pep took over and started the playing from the back stuff he adapted well and was always a prett solid keeper, unlucky to play in the same time as Casillas really or he would have had much more caps.

Perhaps I’ve not appreciated his qualities.

Probably a bit harsh, in conte tvto his CV though, just felt he was never the best keeper in the world, but played for the best team.

Although they never looked to replace him, so he couldn’t have been that bad.

Not sure if Casillas was ahead on ability alone or if that’s a Madrid bias?

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Perhaps I’ve not appreciated his qualities.

Probably a bit harsh, in conte tvto his CV though, just felt he was never the best keeper in the world, but played for the best team.

Although they never looked to replace him, so he couldn’t have been that bad.

Not sure if Casillas was ahead on ability alone or if that’s a Madrid bias?

Casillas was a much better keeper IMO. He couldn't have played for Pep though, he wasn't a good enough footballer.. 

17 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Casillas was a much better keeper IMO. He couldn't have played for Pep though, he wasn't a good enough footballer.. 

Pretty much this, without a doubt a better all rounded goal keeper

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I think that's a bit harsh.  Brown wasn't a world beater but he was better than average.

Now Maurice Ross.......

The 5-1 hosing we took in the league cup final was embarrassing, but Mo Ross scoring took the biscuit.

:lol:

(he actually did a decent job in his short stint at Motherwell)

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

The 5-1 hosing we took in the league cup final was embarrassing, but Mo Ross scoring took the biscuit.

:lol:

(he actually did a decent job in his short stint at Motherwell)

He's one of those ones where you really wonder how he made it as a professional.  He was absolutely rank rotten and the fact that he has 9 major medals and a decent amount of Scotland caps is ridiculous.  I've played fives with better players.

Still too soon then ;-)

My honest memory of McAllister's Scotland career - not interested in how he played for anyone else - having seen the vast majority of it, is that he played alright against Holland at euro '96 and the rest of the time either stunk the place out or was so anonymous you wouldn't even have known he was on the park, save for Craig Brown insisting he hit every single dead ball...

Imo for what it's worth - i.e. zilch - too many Scotland fans allow the last 20 mins or so of his scotland career cloud their judgement of his previous 56? Caps.. 

Brian Mclair would certainly be a candidate based on your criteria, and his 2nd stint at Motherwell reinforced the point.

Folk too young to remember his 1st spell will remember him as one of the worst players they’ve ever seen in a motherwell shirt and pretty dung in a Scotland shirt too.

I think you’re being a bit harsh on McAllister although perhaps like players before and after he couldn’t live up to peoples expectations in a Scotland shirt, his club career has success throughout, with Leeds in the early 90s and his Indian summer with Liverpool.

Edited by sbcmfc

On 10/2/2018 at 8:22 AM, Fairbairn said:

I think that's a bit harsh.  Brown wasn't a world beater but he was better than average.

Now Maurice Ross.......

One of the best individual performances I’ve witnessed in a Scotland Jersey was by MJ away to Iceland in 2002, after suffering the 2-2 draw away to the Faroes the month before I really didn’t want to go to Reykjavik, glad I did MR was easily the best player on the park that day, had Eider Gudjonsson in his back pocket the whole game.

Obviously you’ve saw him play a lot more than me Fairbairn but always liked him for that performance, don’t know if anyone else on here remembers it it but MJ was slapping himself on the side of the head and talking to himself to physic  himself up for the battle ahead, loved him for that.

Edited by Jersey Jim

30 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

One of the best individual performances I’ve witnessed in a Scotland Jersey was by MJ away to Iceland in 2002, after suffering the 2-2 draw away to the Faroes the month before I really didn’t want to go to Reykjavik, glad I did MR was easily the best player on the park that day, had Eider Gudjonsson in his back pocket the whole game.

Obviously you’ve saw him play a lot more than me Fairbairn but always liked him for that performance, don’t know if anyone else on here remembers it it but MJ was slapping himself on the side of the head and talking to himself to physic  himself up for the battle ahead, loved him for that.

Who’s MJ? Mojo? In 2002?

24 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Sorry MR 😄

Been a long day, I’m off to bed. 

I had big Mickey Jordan the best ever(nae idea whaur he’s fae😋) slam dunking the baw intae the Iceland net on my mind. 😂