Manchester - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Manchester

joecraigfanclub

As with any big city, it depends a bit what you're into. The area around Picadilly has loads of restaurants but a lot of them are trendy & pricey. There's a few cheaper spots near Victoria station - right opposite the National Football Museum is a centre called The Printworks which has half a dozen or so chain-type places. That's my usual stopping off spot for a fry-up & early morning ale on Manchester away trips. Some of the pubs that serve food in the central area are good but don't half overcharge.

At the risk of sounding like a typical Yorkshireman, I've heard that the Gay Village area is supposed to be a good spot for a night out, but I've never actually been there 😶 I know quite a lot of people who have though - there's a memorial to Alan Turing there anyway.

23 hours ago, joecraigfanclub said:

Thanks. Am staying opposite the Arndale but plan to wander

That's not a bad spot really; you're more or less midway between Piccadilly & Victoria, with a fair few tourist spots in walking distance - National Football Museum, the Lowry, Turing memorial, etc. If you're at all into politics (left-leaning anyway) The People's History Museum is brilliant. You'll have no trouble finding eating & drinking spots. Just like I say, be aware you can easily end up paying big money in that part of the city.