Any good printers out there? - Technical Support - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any good printers out there?

exile

I used to have an old HP printer that lasted for probably 15 years, chuntering away without fuss, before it suddenly gave up the ghost.

I currently have an awful Epson printer, and what a fussy, needy, pathetic unreliable thing it is. First of all, when you switch on, it needs confirmation, you have to press a button again to confirm. Perhaps it has low self esteem. And it is so needy in terms of ink. It is always running out of ink, what's more it's always whining and pestering you to tell you it's running out of ink, so you get to ignore the messages, because it's always permanently running out.  But it never seems to anticipate that it will run out of ink in the middle of a job. It never says, not enough ink to print this job. No. It lets you hit print, and you go away to do something else, and come back and find it has run out suddenly in the middle of the job and won't do another thing. Wheras the old H-P just graciously faded out of one of the colours, so you could go back and reprint (for example if cyan ran out, you just went back and printed in monochrome, or you just did with the pages without the cyan bits). But this Epson contraption simply goes in the huff and stops mid print and absolutely refuses point blank to do anything else until you refill that one colour. This behaviour means you can never be sure you can ever print anything to completion. Maybe it's a way of discouraging printing and saving paper and ink.  

So... can anyone recommend a good printer, for normal quality use, not particularly high res graphics, needn't be particularly fast (no point printing fast if half the time you get stuck in the middle of a job because run out of ink), but reliable and not too annoyingly needy?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 7:37 PM, exile said:

I used to have an old HP printer that lasted for probably 15 years, chuntering away without fuss, before it suddenly gave up the ghost.

I currently have an awful Epson printer, and what a fussy, needy, pathetic unreliable thing it is. First of all, when you switch on, it needs confirmation, you have to press a button again to confirm. Perhaps it has low self esteem. And it is so needy in terms of ink. It is always running out of ink, what's more it's always whining and pestering you to tell you it's running out of ink, so you get to ignore the messages, because it's always permanently running out.  But it never seems to anticipate that it will run out of ink in the middle of a job. It never says, not enough ink to print this job. No. It lets you hit print, and you go away to do something else, and come back and find it has run out suddenly in the middle of the job and won't do another thing. Wheras the old H-P just graciously faded out of one of the colours, so you could go back and reprint (for example if cyan ran out, you just went back and printed in monochrome, or you just did with the pages without the cyan bits). But this Epson contraption simply goes in the huff and stops mid print and absolutely refuses point blank to do anything else until you refill that one colour. This behaviour means you can never be sure you can ever print anything to completion. Maybe it's a way of discouraging printing and saving paper and ink.  

So... can anyone recommend a good printer, for normal quality use, not particularly high res graphics, needn't be particularly fast (no point printing fast if half the time you get stuck in the middle of a job because run out of ink), but reliable and not too annoyingly needy?

Ebay mate and buy a newer version of the old one. (same model mind)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The best printer that I've ever owned is the Lexmark CS410DN. 

In my line of work I print thousands of paper per week and this printer is absolutely rapid!

The best part of the story is that I bought it on eBay, the drum was faulty so I received a refund and was allowed to keep it. I emailed Lexmark, telling them the situation, and they sent me a drum (rrp £200) completely free.

So yes, if you print regularly then get yourself a laser printer like the one above. You'll save on ink on the long run.

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2018 at 12:32 AM, Chripper said:

The best printer that I've ever owned is the Lexmark CS410DN. 

In my line of work I print thousands of paper per week and this printer is absolutely rapid!

The best part of the story is that I bought it on eBay, the drum was faulty so I received a refund and was allowed to keep it. I emailed Lexmark, telling them the situation, and they sent me a drum (rrp £200) completely free.

So yes, if you print regularly then get yourself a laser printer like the one above. You'll save on ink on the long run.

Just noticed this. Thanks! 

41 minutes ago, exile said:

Just noticed this. Thanks! 

Very welcome.

I've had literally dozens of printers throughout the years, most costing £1k+, and more times than not I've been left disappointed. None of my previous printers have impressed me more than the Lexmark CS410DN. If your job is dependant on having a printer (I'm a writer) I'd give this one 10 stars out of 10. Plus the duplex feature is really impressive. Lots of printers have this feature but I love it! 

• 3 months later...

My utterly awful evil Epson printer playing up again. It absolutely refuses to print even in black even though I just want to print in black ink, it refuses to do a single thing unless I replace the cyan cartridge, but of course I don't have any cyan ink left. I even tried to fool it by putting in a yellow cartridge, but no matter how stupid and useless a printer, it still managed to recognise it wasn't really a cyan cartridge and refuses to budge. I can never ever trust or forgive this printer. Never again!  

Edited by exile