Great European results - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Great European results

So, what about examples of memorable or noteworthy European results or games involving Scottish sides?

Could be noteworthy or memorable for any reason - maybe your club's first/only/best European result, or your own personal first/most memorable European game, etc.  

Already on other thread we've had Rangers Marseille, Celtic Inter Milan, Liverpool Celtic, Borussia Monchengladbach Dundee United, Groningen Aberdeen, Rosenborg St Johnstone...

I think the first European game I went to was St Mirren v Hammarby in the mid 80s.  Saints had drawn 3-3 in Stockholm and were cruising to a 1-0 win but lost 2 goals in injury time. The Swedes even managed to squeeze in a disallowed goal in between!

Outrageous end to a game, atmosphere at full time was bizarre, changing from celebration to stunned silence, scarves being chucked away, my mate going "but but but we scored 3 away goals, that means it's 7 each on aggregate???" :-)) 

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think the first European game I went to was St Mirren v Hammarby in the mid 80s.  Saints had drawn 3-3 in Stockholm and were cruising to a 1-0 win but lost 2 goals in injury time. The Swedes even managed to squeeze in a disallowed goal in between!

Outrageous end to a game, atmosphere at full time was bizarre, changing from celebration to stunned silence, scarves being chucked away, my mate going "but but but we scored 3 away goals, that means it's 7 each on aggregate???" :-)) 

My first European game was also St Mirren at Love St.  Pretty sure it was against Tromso and I want to say the won 1-0 with Torfasson scoring the goal.  Or maybe Clipboard Kenny.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Worst night of my life (football wise).

I went to the first leg in Sweden, as you said a 3-3 draw which included s hat trick from Brian Gallagher, has any other Scot ever scored a hat trick away from home in Europe?

But what sticks out in my mind as you said we were one nil up and cruising thru a Frank McGarvey goal, they equalise with a few minutes to go, we’re still safe on away goals, they then score again a minute later but for some reason it was ruled out, but Campbell Money ran into the net to retrieve the ball and rushed like feck to take the goal kick ( god only knows what he was thinking of) he kicked it up the Park they got the ball straight back and the same player scored with another 25 yarder.

Losing to 9 man Rangers in a cup final didn’t even come close to how bad I felt after that, still gives me nightmares, thanks for reminding me. 😳

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Dunfermline v Valencia. 4-0 down from the the 1st leg and Dunfermline win 6-2 at home to take it to a tie breaker.

The Killie-E-Frankfurt game I posted, we were 3-0 down after first leg, then went  4-0 down on agg early in the 2nd leg, only to win 5-4.

My dad the jammy bastard was at it. Drew 2-2 with Real Madrid and 0-0 with the great Leeds side in the 60s too at RP.

The most memorable one for me, for a piece of piece of amazing lack of knowledge of the rules from the referee, has to be Sporting Lisbon 6 Rangers 6 aet. 

Rangers got "knocked out" in the penalty shot out. But the ref had been unaware that away goals scored in extra time also counted double. So there should never have been a penalty shot out in the first place. Sporting fans went home and celebrated being through to the next round and Rangers fans went away disappointed. They probably wouldn't have found out until the next day that the result had been reversed.

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

Worst night of my life (football wise).

Losing to 9 man Rangers in a cup final didn’t even come close to how bad I felt after that, still gives me nightmares, thanks for reminding me. 😳

Sorry bud.

How could I forget I was also at Artmedia 5 Celtic 0. Was working in Bratislava at the time and went along with some Scottish colleagues, who were all Celtic fans.  

One of the guys had got himself a Slovak girlfriend at that point and had brought out Hoops tops for all her male relatives to wear to the game, regaling them with tales of the mighty Sellick. How perplexed those guys looked as the Slovakian goals rained down, while their pals hurled abuse from the other side of the security fence.

I'll now try and recall some stories that don't involve humiliation for Scottish clubs :lol:

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Not a great result, but a great performance by Motherwell v Borrussia Dortmund away in 1994. The next season the same side with the addition of Paul Lambert won the European cup.

:shocked:

Well worth 8 minutes to watch the highlights...

‘97 it was Dortmund won the Champions League. 

From a Killie perspective it's got to be another pumping, away to Kaiserslautern in 99.  What a support we had that night though, a great trip that was a fitting end to an incredible decade for the club. 

Totally lucked out as well, my mate was working at Strathclyde Uni beside a German woman who just happened to own an empty flat in the middle of Kaiserslautern. Result!

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

From a Killie perspective it's got to be another pumping, away to Kaiserslautern in 99.  What a support we had that night though, a great trip that was a fitting end to an incredible decade for the club. 

Totally lucked out as well, my mate was working at Strathclyde Uni beside a German woman who just happened to own an empty flat in the middle of Kaiserslautern. Result!

We should have been been 2-0 up over there before they took the lead!

One Scottish victory I did witness was Rangers beating a Dynamo Kiev team that contained a load of the USSR Mexico 86 squad. I was in 1st year at Uni and went along for the evening.

I recall Souness had arranged for the pitch to be narrowed by quite a few yards to counter the Soviets' strength on the flanks. Don't know if that made a difference but they got the result.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

One Scottish victory I did witness was Rangers beating a Dynamo Kiev team that contained a load of the USSR Mexico 86 squad. I was in 1st year at Uni and went along for the evening.

I recall Souness had arranged for the pitch to be narrowed by quite a few yards to counter the Soviets' strength on the flanks. Don't know if that made a difference but they got the result.

:lol: I seem to remember he let them train on the normal sized pitch first, though. Then changed it at the last minute.

Another mind game I seem to recall is that Alex Ferguson would sometimes send a bottle of whisky to his opposing manager before the tie, so they'd think he was a soft touch - some couthy wee provincial team maybe - and lower their guard.  

9 minutes ago, exile said:

Another mind game I seem to recall is that Alex Ferguson would sometimes send a bottle of whisky to his opposing manager before the tie, so they'd think he was a soft touch - some couthy wee provincial team maybe - and lower their guard.  

I believe he learned that trick from Jock Stein.