Best folk venues in Glasgow - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best folk venues in Glasgow

Hi folks,

A couple of pals are coming from Iceland to Glasgow in late November for a conference and making a weekend of it. They were asking me about good folk music venues, both for ceilidh/trad music or just singer-songwriter Scottish or even Irish folk songs. I said the Park Bar was always good, and I've always enjoyed The Scotia ; but could anyone from the area or someone in the know recommend a few great places for them to hear some music, and a good atmosphere?

Thanks very much.

Park Bar and Scotia are probably the best, but the Ben Nevis and Islay Inn in the West End usually have folk bands on.

MacSorleys close to central station has a folk night one night of the week, but unsure which.

Could be wrong, but I think Cottiers Bar on Hyndland Street also do nights occasionally, the Sunshine Appeal have hired their resident band, the Big Stupid Ceilidh Band, for our Burns night in January.

Edited by wanderer

20 hours ago, scotlad said:

You're kidding?? I went by there on Friday evening - never went in but from the outside it sounded like it was open. 

They had a statement on their Facebook page saying it was closing due to unreconcilable differences with Punch Breweries that made it impossible to trade.

I assumed it was closed, may have opened again but it closes that often it's hard to keep track.

That's a pity.  I mind it was rumoured to be closing about a year ago, with problems with the owners being cited as the reason that time.

To be honest, I often found the beer selection a bit poor in there (which figures, if they've been having problems with supplies) and found it slightly overpriced.  At least the people in it were generally pleasant though it had a bit of character.  Hopefully someone will takes it on and reopen it soon.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I think it did shut down for a spell and then reopen but has since shut again.  Shame as it was always a good place to stop going to/from The Academy for gigs.

It was closed for a good chunk of last year as they spent a fortune on refurbishing it.

Have to admit, now I think about it, its beer choices did seem to go from great to poor in almost no time (but never really took it in), when I was in a couple of weeks back they hardly had anything on tap.