Mobile costs in Tel Aviv - Israel V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mobile costs in Tel Aviv

kizzy

I'm with giffgaff but they don't cover Israel. Last time I was there it cost me a few quid. So I checked up with Vodafone, EE etc and Israel is not part of usual EU roaming  packages. 

The network Three includes Israel, so I got a one month contract with them for £16. You just sign up then cancel the next day. This gives 4GB data & unlimited calls & txts to any number back home or your mates mobiles. Maybe save a few heafty bills when you get home. 

4 hours ago, snoopyhill said:

I'm with O2 and they want £2 a min to send or receive calls, texts are 50p but free to receive so it looks like Wifi and Whatsapp for me.

They must have a better product than that. Are you contract or pay as you go?

Like I said, most phone companies now have a £5 to £6 charge and you take your contract and allowances with you.

J

EDIT - Just checked, o2 are shit. They do indeed rinse you in Israel. Like you said, it’s the old days for you, Wi-fi only.

Be warned, WhatsApp uses data. If you don’t want a horror show of a bill, I’d knock roaming off for the duration.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

13 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

They must have a better product than that. Are you contract or pay as you go?

Like I said, most phone companies now have a £5 to £6 charge and you take your contract and allowances with you.

J

EDIT - Just checked, o2 are shit. They do indeed rinse you in Israel. Like you said, it’s the old days for you, Wi-fi only.

Be warned, WhatsApp uses data. If you don’t want a horror show of a bill, I’d knock roaming off for the duration.

J

I'll be switching off voicemail as well... I checked 3's website (thanks Kizzy) and they offer a PAYG option for £10 you get 1Gb data, 3000 mins calls and text which includes their Go Roam option that covers Israel https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go 

2 hours ago, snoopyhill said:

I'll be switching off voicemail as well... I checked 3's website (thanks Kizzy) and they offer a PAYG option for £10 you get 1Gb data, 3000 mins calls and text which includes their Go Roam option that covers Israel https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go 

I went into O2 shop and they told me to turn on airplane mode as soon as I get on the plane. Then just put WiFi on whilst still on airplane for duration of trip. Data roaming isn’t enough as as soon as your phone links to a network and receives emails or iMessages, even if you don’t open them, you’re charged a daily rate of £5.95. I thought of kizzy’s suggestion but as my phone is O2 I think it’s locked to them and a bit of a pain to unlock and put a 3 sim in. 

Talking pish, for for a change, on O2 site it looks easy to unlock phone. Visit to 3 tomorrow and tell them kizzy sent me. 👍🏻👍🏻😁

Edited by G-Man

I managed to sort it today. You need an unlocked phone, a pay as you go SIM card for 3, you can get them from Poundland. Phone them up, 333 and explain what you need. You can then pay £10 minimum or upwards in multiples of £5 and your sorted. I’ve done £20 for 12g data, 3000 texts and minutes. You can’t phone Israeli numbers unless you put some money in a different account and the rates are extortionate, but it’s fine for keeping in touch with uk numbers, if they’re in Israel.

Edited by Malky24a