Riga - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thought there was a travel section on the board but couldn't find it so asking here.

Anyway, first trip to Latvia for a few nights on Sunday and can't find a pub who are showing the Kilmarnock and Celtic game.

Can anyone who's been there before recommend a place that will show Scottish football? Even the Irish Bar emailed me back to say they aren't showing it.

Thanks in advance

Can't recommend a pub for the football but a few pointers for Riga.
It is a fantastic city, one of the best City breaks I've done.

Some must dos :-

Go for the free walking tour of the city. Not free but you tip the guide at the end of it - about 5 Euros a head.
Go to the corner house, the HQ of the KGB when they were based in Riga. A harrowing experience.
Go to the museum of the occupation and get a guided tour. There's not a great lot to see but if you get the tour, the guided tour through the history is amazing.
Go to the top of the sky tower for a drink. Amazing views across the city.
If you have time, take a train out to Jarmala beach. The train costs about £3 return but it's the touristy resort on the Baltic Sea. Excellent bars and cafes in the town centre.

Enjoy Riga  - I loved it.

28 minutes ago, Graham of Montrose said:

Go for the free walking tour of the city. Not free but you tip the guide at the end of it - about 5 Euros a head.
Go to the corner house, the HQ of the KGB when they were based in Riga. A harrowing experience.
Go to the museum of the occupation and get a guided tour. There's not a great lot to see but if you get the tour, the guided tour through the history is amazing.
If you have time, take a train out to Jarmala beach. The train costs about £3 return but it's the touristy resort on the Baltic Sea. Excellent bars and cafes in the town centre.

Thanks for that 

Already planning to do the KGB museum and sky tower. Jarmala beach looked good as well but the weather is forecast to be a bit crap while we're there unfortunately.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:27 PM, Scotland Ever More said:

Thanks for that 

Already planning to do the KGB museum and sky tower. Jarmala beach looked good as well but the weather is forecast to be a bit crap while we're there unfortunately.

I did the KGB place in Vilnius last year. If the one in Riga is half as good it’ll be outstanding. There were some parts of the Vilnius one that sent shivers up me. The death chambers the worst.

On 21 September 2018 at 9:56 PM, Graham of Montrose said:

Had a couple of days in Riga before the game in Vilnius last year.  First time I'd been back since we last played them and was pleased to see how well it's come on.   Went to the Museum if the Occupation and though it was very interesting, it did have a very one-sided and selective view if the period.  Apparantly there was no anti-semitism in Latvia, which would've made them unique in the region.