FIFA World Rankings Tracker - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

FIFA World Rankings Tracker

romanticscot

• 1 month later...

October 25th

Scotland ranked 40 (-1)

Ranked 26th in UEFA

Next ranking update  - 29th November

Two upcoming fixtures before next ranking announcement.

Not sure this is worth the effort, the ranking will not be a factor for a while.

June 2019 - date unconfirmed. 

We have 2 match days in March and two in June. If it were me and there are other open dates for friendlies, after the Israel game I would brief the squad - we are looking to get into the best position for the draw as possible - we will have some friendlies against economical opponents to get 1 or 2 wins in. 

9 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

we are looking to get into the best position for the draw as possible - we will have some friendlies against economical opponents to get 1 or 2 wins in. 

Have been saying for years that we should do that.. but we'll probably try and get a friendly against Germany so we can get gubbed by 3 or 4 instead. That's how short sighted the SFA are, they've never been trying to actually support the national team, but doing the sensible thing and improve our ranking so we might actually get to a tournament. Instead they're chasing a few extra quid in gate receipts. Shameful tbh.

17 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We have 2 match days in March and two in June. If it were me and there are other open dates for friendlies, after the Israel game I would brief the squad - we are looking to get into the best position for the draw as possible - we will have some friendlies against economical opponents to get 1 or 2 wins in. 

I'm not sure there will be any room for friendlies between now and the draw.

We have 4 matches before the seedings will be confirmed - Albania away, Israel at home and then two Euro 2020 qualifiers in March (draw is in December).

We will only have a friendly if we are in one of the 5 groups of 5 teams (1 in 2 chance), and then one of the 2 teams that don't have a fixture in March (2 in 5 chance).  

We really do need two wins next month.  

The world cup draw is in June, so the last FIFA rankings to have any bearing would be late May unless the draw was after the 25th of June. I can't believe less than a year after a world cup - qualifying groups are being drawn. 

If we don't have matches in either of the March dates we have take them and play a Diddy team. 

16 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Exactly, we should work the system to our favor - whatever it will take to get us into the best position possible. 

Isn't that actually a slogan of the social media "whatever it takes"

yay.. slogans. cos they work so well.. make america great again.. brexit means brexit.. if the SFA would actually perform the actions needed then people wouldn't be so critical of them. instead tho, they want lucrative friendlies and nice slogans rather than thinking about what's long term best for the side.

• 2 weeks later...

It means by faking it into group 3, in theory we have more teams worse than us than better - on paper. Don't be so down mate, two games we could be in our first play off in years.

• 9 months later...
49 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We are currently ranked 28 in UEFA, slip any lower and we are in danger of being a group 4 team if we are not already - oh help!!!

Assuming there are 9 groups again- we need to be in the top 27. 

We should be OK after we have beaten Russia twice.;)

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Noticed today that we were 40 in the FIFA World Rankings, so checked if we had a thread on it.

Found this from 4 years ago , and were 39 then.

I thought we were getting better recently, obviously not......

The ranking calculation changed after the previous World Cup to limit the exploiting of the system which was possible (see Wales not playing friendlies to boost their ranking or host nations of tournaments dropping sharply due to not playing competitive matches) - we'd be around 25th under the old method.

The newer method uses an Elo based system, but is much more static than the Elo rankings (link). The primary reason I've noticed is the lack of score factors in the points exchange in the FIFA rankings: us beating Ukraine 3-0 is the same in the FIFA rankings as us winning 1-0 or 20-0. Additionally, there's no home advantage modifier and Nations League matches are closer to friendly matches in terms of points gained than qualifiers.

The relatively static nature of the FIFA rankings means Hungary, who had a successful Nations League are 36th in the rankings (up only four places since the start of the Nations League), while England are 5th (no change). The Elo rankings take around 30 matches to converge on a countries' true ranking, whereas the FIFA rankings would probably be nearer 50 - around five or six years of matches.

On a positive note, only Azerbaijan had a higher increase in points than us in the FIFA rankings after this cycle.

8 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Noticed today that we were 40 in the FIFA World Rankings, so checked if we had a thread on it.

Found this from 4 years ago , and were 39 then.

I thought we were getting better recently, obviously not......

FIFA rankings are a load of pish. Thankfully we don’t need to rely on them for the Euro qualifiers seeding pots. If only it was the same for the World Cup qualifiers. If it was we could ignore the world rankings altogether. 

Wow, I looked at this and saw my name.  Looks like I had good intentions to post the rankings and then forgot about it. It seems to be a while until FIFA rankings matter for us, I cant imagine we will be much higher than where we are in the next two years. 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

I just looked at the official FIFA rankings that were updated on October 6th.  We are 21st in UEFA, with Russia gaining points yet not playing any games.  anyone able to explain that? 

They played a game during the last international window beating Kyrgyzstan 2-1 away from home.  Don’t know if our resident Putinbot was in attendance 😀

On 10/13/2022 at 6:23 PM, sjd1972 said:

They played a game during the last international window beating Kyrgyzstan 2-1 away from home.  Don’t know if our resident Putinbot was in attendance 😀

And that took an 89th minute winner... (albeit the squad looks rather inexperienced).

They're due to play Iran and Bosnia in November, although a lot of the Bosnian players aren't happy about that. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bosnia game doesn't actually get played.

There was some talk about Russia deciding to join the Asian confederation - although that would no doubt lock them out of UEFA once the sanctions eventually end.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:07 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Well at present we are 21st in the UEFA countries list in Fifa rankings with Russia a few places above us but currently banned. If the World Cup qualifying draw was to be made now we would be just in the pot of second seeds. 

I think I'm right in saying there will be sixteen spots for European nations at the next World Cup too (due to the expansion to 48 teams).

I imagine it will be ten groups, with group winners and the two best second-placed teams automatically qualifying, plus four teams from the play-offs.

4 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think I'm right in saying there will be sixteen spots for European nations at the next World Cup too (due to the expansion to 48 teams).

I imagine it will be ten groups, with group winners and the two best second-placed teams automatically qualifying, plus four teams from the play-offs.

There are loads of possible permutations for the next WC draw. They will probably want to include some Nations League group winners in the playoffs. Ten groups again would seem sensible, then they would need to decide how many playoff games they want. Could be ten 2nd place teams plus 2 NL teams play home and away playoffs to give the other 6 qualifiers. Or, if they want to have a lot of playoff games, they could go for ten group winners plus 2 best runners up qualify automatically. Then four four team playoff routes between the other 8 2nd place teams and 8 nations league teams. Or countless other possibilities. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

• 5 months later...

I was just curious as to what these results will do to our FIFA rankings.

It looks like we are going to be ranked 36th in FIFA and ranked 19th among UEFA nations. No idea when this matters for 2026 qualification draw but if the draw is anything like 2022 then we want to ranked in the top 20 to be in pot 2. I think we want the draw before the next nations league as we are likely to lose a few of them...unless of course we are drawn with Spain :)

16 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I was just curious as to what these results will do to our FIFA rankings.

It looks like we are going to be ranked 36th in FIFA and ranked 19th among UEFA nations. No idea when this matters for 2026 qualification draw but if the draw is anything like 2022 then we want to ranked in the top 20 to be in pot 2. I think we want the draw before the next nations league as we are likely to lose a few of them...unless of course we are drawn with Spain :)

The draw for the last World Cup qualifiers was made in December 2020 so if that timescale is repeated the draw for the next one will be in December 2024 which will be after the next Nations League group stage which should be played September-November next year. 

Hopefully we can have a good run before then as well as a half decent Nations League (a lot will depend on the draw) and we sneak into pot 2.