Europa league - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa league

2 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

Villareal finished 5th in Laliga last year, they spent 82 million in the summer apparently. Their owner owns Porcelanosa which in literally the whole town, he apparently is a 50% share holder in Mercadona,  remind me who finished 5th in the EPL?

Exactly getting a draw off some 5ht place team is no achievement

which is why Aberdeen weren't running around after the game saying it was some great achievement getting a draw .......................................... how the mighty have fallen 

would you be bumping your gums as much if it was Wolfsburg or Lazio ?

46 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

which is why Aberdeen weren't running around after the game saying it was some great achievement getting a draw .......................................... how the mighty have fallen 

Celtic did a lap of honour beating us.  Each to their own.

10 hours ago, euan2020 said:

This post is stinking of jealousy.

If Aberdeen drew with Villarreal away your living room ceiling would be painted white ya bampot.

2 hours ago, GRBear said:

This post is stinking of jealousy.

If Aberdeen drew with Villarreal away your living room ceiling would be painted white ya bampot.

Is everyone’s living room ceiling not painted white?

😕 

It was a good result, and coming back twice to draw 2-2 is better than grinding out a 0-0 by parking the bus.

9 minutes ago, exile said:

Aye its murder when you only make the Europa League Semis 4 times and the quarters another 2 or 3 times in the last 15 years. 

Far superior record than any Scottish club, as they're highly unlikely to even get a shot at the Champions League when you consider the teams they are up against. 

I've not checked but I'd bet there's more QF and SF appearances there than all of the Scottish clubs combined in the last 20 years. 

And I'd still be interested to know, when was the last Scottish side to equalise twice (and hold on) against opposition from a top league? 

By top league I mean Spain, Italy, Germany, England; those countries with the highest number of Champions League places - lots of strength in depth, OK because they have an unfair advantages of seeding and funding, 

Away from home, I should add. Or even at home. It must be relatively rare if there are no examples readily springing to mind?

Edited by exile

12 minutes ago, exile said:

And I'd still be interested to know, when was the last Scottish side to equalise twice (and hold on) against opposition from a top league? 

By top league I mean Spain, Italy, Germany, England; those countries with the highest number of Champions League places - lots of strength in depth, OK because they have an unfair advantages of seeding and funding, 

Away from home, I should add. Or even at home. It must be relatively rare if there are no examples readily springing to mind?

Think Rangers did that against Dortmund in CL back in the day. I'd need to check. I know we equalised to make it 2-2 but not sure who scored first. 

Also came from 2-0 down to Marseille in the first CL group stage. At Ibrox, mind you. 

19 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Think Rangers did that against Dortmund in CL back in the day. I'd need to check. I know we equalised to make it 2-2 but not sure who scored first. 

Also came from 2-0 down to Marseille in the first CL group stage. At Ibrox, mind you. 

I remember the Marseille game, memorable it was (is) - not by accident - and Marseille the eventual winners 

For Dortmund, was in 1995, I see both games drawn 2-2 (h&a). in home game, Rangers equalised twice, in away game, took lead and equalised at end. So, still over 20 years and counting for an away result equalising twice (or coming back from 2-0 down)... 

Edited by exile

On 9/23/2018 at 8:01 PM, dandydunn said:

What pedigree is that? 2 x Intertoto cups?

Aye I was thinking more of their CL semi final and Europa League semi final appearances myself.

What do you consider having a pedigree out of interest? Winning some trophy that disnae exist any more 30 odd years ago perhaps? 😂

3 hours ago, exile said:

I remember the Marseille game, memorable it was (is) - not by accident - and Marseille the eventual winners 

For Dortmund, was in 1995, I see both games drawn 2-2 (h&a). in home game, Rangers equalised twice, in away game, took lead and equalised at end. So, still over 20 years and counting for an away result equalising twice (or coming back from 2-0 down)... 

I remember Richard Gough equalising at Ibrox, I think, when I was sat in a bar in Rhodes. 

The big group of German lads sat at the next table didn't enjoy my celebrations. 😀 

13 hours ago, exile said:

Celtic beat Liverpool away in 2003 

8 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Rangers beat Sporting Lisbon away in 2008.

Ah yes, that late Steven Whittaker goal. And Rangers also drew 2-2 at Sporting in 2011, but only had to come from behind once...

Edited by exile

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get anything tonight. Salzburg are one of the best sides I've seen at Celtic Park in recent seasons and will have too much for us. Rapid are a step down from their level though so I can see the huns getting something, maybe even sneaking the win.

7 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Aye, Salzburg have a pretty reasonable home record so I can't say I'm overly hopeful. Took a draw over there last time we played them with a poorer team mind so I suppose anything is possible.

Aye but if memory serves me right that game was a dead rubber. They passed us off the pitch at Parkhead. You never know though. If I was to wager on it it'd be a 3-0 home win but 😵

Edited by slasher