Europa league - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa league

3 hours ago, Mox said:

I accept Edouard has been poor since AEK at home but he's much better than Griffith's. 

He’s clearly not the full shilling bit I think Griffiths is the best striker Celtic have, and Scotland. Granted you’ve no doubt seen more of Eduardo than me. 

Despite being a complete bampot I find Griffiths likeable enough 😂

8 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

He’s clearly not the full shilling bit I think Griffiths is the best striker Celtic have, and Scotland. Granted you’ve no doubt seen more of Eduardo than me. 

Despite being a complete bampot I find Griffiths likeable enough 😂

That's his problem though, he's not the full shilling on or off the pitch. He constantly makes poor decisions, the punters love him though as he ties scarfs round goalposts and he's Scottish. Edouard is 10 times the player Griffith's is but I'm glad he's there as back up, he's still an utter cretin though.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

That's his problem though, he's not the full shilling on or off the pitch. He constantly makes poor decisions, the punters love him though as he ties scarfs round goalposts and he's Scottish. Edouard is 10 times the player Griffith's is but I'm glad he's there as back up, he's still an utter cretin though.

Nothing to do with the 101 goals he's scored for us. 

7 hours ago, exile said:

Just reflecting on the Villareal game, this surely is a result for Gerrard in establishing his credentials.

Out of curiosity when was last Rangers manager to get such a result?

Think the last time we got a result like that was 2007/08 when we drew 0-0 with Barcelona at Ibrox in the CL under Walter Smith. 

Maybe not the same type of display but similar result in the end. 

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Think the last time we got a result like that was 2007/08 when we drew 0-0 with Barcelona at Ibrox in the CL under Walter Smith. 

Maybe not the same type of display but similar result in the end. 

Interesting. Not bad for a manager still learning his trade.

14 hours ago, exile said:

Just reflecting on the Villareal game, this surely is a result for Gerrard in establishing his credentials.

Out of curiosity when was last Rangers manager to get such a result?

kind of a closed question though - only 2nd season in europe in around last 6 

Man Utd 0-0 away in 2010 ?

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

kind of a closed question though - only 2nd season in europe in around last 6 

Man Utd 0-0 away in 2010 ?

You could interpret the question more openly if you wish...

Still, Walter Smith seems a long time ago, (I can't remember how many managers in between)  

I guess I'm talking as a sceptic, was not necessarily convinced of Gerrard as a manager ,  seemed a gamble, with an eye on his wider profile, but the lad seems the real deal. 

Equalising twice away from home is no small feat (surely harder than simply parking the bus) 

Put another way, when was the last Scottish side to equalise twice (and hold on) against opposition from a top league? 

22 minutes ago, exile said:

You could interpret the question more openly if you wish...

Still, Walter Smith seems a long time ago, (I can't remember how many managers in between)  

I guess I'm talking as a sceptic, was not necessarily convinced of Gerrard as a manager ,  seemed a gamble, with an eye on his wider profile, but the lad seems the real deal. 

Equalising twice away from home is no small feat (surely harder than simply parking the bus) 

Put another way, when was the last Scottish side to equalise twice (and hold on) against opposition from a top league? 

Smith was only 4 seasons ago in terms of competing 

I would say Aberdeen winning in Holland and Croatia is better than Rangers scratching a draw in Spain 

There is likely a Spannish journalist writing a story about Villareal being shit, due to only drawing with rangers, same way our journalists would be writing if rangers drew at home with Malmo, Marivor, Lveski Sofia etc etc

Rangers drew with the Livingston of Spain - town is about  3 times the population of Inverurie  - 50,000 inhabitants - Ibrox nearly holds as much 

Their rivals are CD Castellón

I don't think it's anything to write home about - let's see if they beat Villareal at home

reports i seen said they were getting humped and got 2 breakaway goals 

Edited by euan2020

28 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I would say Aberdeen winning in Holland and Croatia is better than Rangers scratching a draw in Spain 

There is likely a Spannish journalist writing a story about Villareal being shit, due to only drawing with rangers, same way our journalists would be writing if rangers drew at home with Malmo, Marivor, Lveski Sofia etc etc

Rangers drew with the Livingston of Spain - town is about  3 times the population of Inverurie  - 50,000 inhabitants - Ibrox nearly holds as much 

I don't think it's anything to write home about - let's see if they beat Villareal at home

Yes I get that Villareal are not Barcelona but major league is usually a reasonable indicator though you could say Burnley's rivals include Accrington Stanley, didn't stop people saying they were Premiership class. 

Can you remind us the opposition/ scores in the games you mention?  (On a phone,  can't easily search) 

6 hours ago, euan2020 said:

St. Johnstone against Rosenborg was bigger than any of them. 

6 hours ago, exile said:

Yes I get that Villareal are not Barcelona but major league is usually a reasonable indicator though you could say Burnley's rivals include Accrington Stanley, didn't stop people saying they were Premiership class. 

Can you remind us the opposition/ scores in the games you mention?  (On a phone,  can't easily search) 

Gronjngen was a 2-1 away win - Rijeka was a 3-0 away win

Mention of Burnley - that was a 1-1 away draw - Burnley never beat Aberdeen over 180 mates

Saying that - If Aberdeen drew with Villareal woudl be crawing as well 

19 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

Mention of Burnley - that was a 1-1 away draw - Burnley never beat Aberdeen over 180 mates

Villarreal have a genuine European pedigree, not something you can say about Rijeka, Groningen or Burnley. Folk trying to downplay the huns result in midweek just come across as petty tbh 

43 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

Winning away is great but I wouldnt put those teams in same level as Villareal, and even if they're now officially crap, it takes resolve to come back against a team you think at the time is superior. 

Aberdeen did well in 180minutes but...