Cairney - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cairney

Squirrelhumper

19 hours ago, aaid said:

I could be wrong but I don't think any of the Scottish born players that went on to play for the Republic of Ireland went through the SFA youth system and then jumped ship , that's what I'm talking about with NI.

They were either those that - for whatever reason - weren't good enough for Scotland or had been in the ROI youth setup from an early age 

McGeady certainly played with Scotland up to about age 15. It was all down to the nonsense over him not being able to play for Scotland schoolboys because he didn't play for a school team.

Thought Strachan had logged on TA with in depth knowledge of premier league players like that for a minute!

Being serious it will be interesting to see the make up of the midfielders for next round of games. I know he's not a favourite on here but Bannan has been in terrific form for Sheff Weds this season. Finally looks like the creative midfielder he threatened to be coming through at Villa 8 years ago now.

I see Armstrong is playing again for Southampton although he didn't look great v Wolves yesterday so probably lacking in fitness. Snodgrass continuing to get minutes at West Ham so imagine he'll be in the squad from the start this time.

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Thought Strachan had logged on TA with in depth knowledge of premier league players like that for a minute!

Being serious it will be interesting to see the make up of the midfielders for next round of games. I know he's not a favourite on here but Bannan has been in terrific form for Sheff Weds this season. Finally looks like the creative midfielder he threatened to be coming through at Villa 8 years ago now.

I see Armstrong is playing again for Southampton although he didn't look great v Wolves yesterday so probably lacking in fitness. Snodgrass continuing to get minutes at West Ham so imagine he'll be in the squad from the start this time.

Bannan. Gads

He has been playing well lately regardless of his performances for the national team in the past so should be considered. 'Eck also managed him at Villa and was a regular in that (dismal) season.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11703/11496831/barry-bannan-interview-in-form-scot-wants-premier-league-return

Edited by Tartan Chris

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Didn’t Snodgrass play 12 minutes or something yesterday? Hardly reason to call him up unless others are injured.

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Bannan and Snodgrass have had their day. Move on. Let's not go down the Craigie Broon route of picking the same old rapidly declining favourites again and again and again.

Same goes for D Fletcher, Dorrans, Adam, Morrison, McArthur and Ritchie. Focus on the future.

Disagree.... I don’t care how old they are young or old, pick the best players. Ffs snodgrass is only 31... hardly old.  Using the same logic you wouldn’t pick Naismith who was one of our best players in the last game.   McGregor is 37... our best goalie.  Best players young or old.  I like snodgrass.

Just now, Malcolm said:

Disagree.... I don’t care how old they are young or old, pick the best players. Ffs snodgrass is only 31... hardly old.  Using the same logic you wouldn’t pick Naismith who was one of our best players in the last game.   McGregor is 37... our best goalie.  Best players young or old.  I like snodgrass.

I'm talking about our midfielders of which we have a large pool.

Please point out where I said that we should not be picking Naismith or Alan McGregor ? In exceptional circumstances with no one else available then the old hand should be picked.

Snodgrass is no longer one of our best players. Go on then who do we drop for him ? Armstrong ? Calum McGregor ? Fraser ? McTominay ? Might as well bring back Darren Fletcher and Dorrans whilst we're at it too.

Strachan shot himself in the foot by being far too loyal to his mediocre long serving favourites for too long and brought in the much needed new blood Armstrong, Cairney, Fraser and Calum McGregor far too late.

11 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

You are so wrong and it's the sort of thinking that has got us nowhere in the last 20 years.

Footballs a team game and players need the chance to grow together. Goal keeper is the only position were age doesn't matter unless you are Messi, Ronaldo or some other world class player.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'm talking about our midfielders of which we have a large pool.

Please point out where I said that we should not be picking Naismith or Alan McGregor ? In exceptional circumstances with no one else available then the old hand should be picked.

Snodgrass is no longer one of our best players. Go on then who do we drop for him ? Armstrong ? Calum McGregor ? Fraser ? McTominay ? Might as well bring back Darren Fletcher and Dorrans whilst we're at it too.

Strachan shot himself in the foot by being far too loyal to his mediocre long serving favourites for too long and brought in the much needed new blood Armstrong, Cairney, Fraser and Calum McGregor far too late.

Mctominay is a different player to snodgrass.  I would have Armstrong, Fraser and McGregor ahead of snodgrass, but I would have snodgrass ahead of the likes of Forrest.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You are so wrong and it's the sort of thinking that has got us nowhere in the last 20 years.

Footballs a team game and players need the chance to grow together. Goal keeper is the only position were age doesn't matter unless you are Messi, Ronaldo or some other world class player.

Disagree with you.  At 31 you could do another two campaigns, so can still grow together with the younger players.  And to say that it is this thinking that has got us nowhere in 20 years is clearly bollcks... it’s lack of qualit6 players, with really only Barry Ferguson, Darren fletcher, Scott brown and now Andy Robertson being the quality we need to compete at later stages of international tournaments.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Disagree with you.  At 31 you could do another two campaigns, so can still grow together with the younger players.  And to say that it is this thinking that has got us nowhere in 20 years is clearly bollcks... it’s lack of qualit6 players, with really only Barry Ferguson, Darren fletcher, Scott brown and now Andy Robertson being the quality we need to compete at later stages of international tournaments.

Going to have to agree to disagree on the age thing.  Seems that I think players decline a lot faster than you do and I certainly don't think any of our over 30's are good enough now let alone in two years time.

7 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

This doesn't surprise me, he's shown that he's a good English Championship midfielder.  The trouble is, that's all he is.  He's had opportunities to show what he can do at a higher level and but he always gets found out.

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

This doesn't surprise me, he's shown that he's a good English Championship midfielder.  The trouble is, that's all he is.  He's had opportunities to show what he can do at a higher level and but he always gets found out.

Graham Dorrans was another one who fell into the awkward category of being shall we say "too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premiership"

Edited by ErsatzThistle

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Graham Dorrans was another one who fell into the awkward category of being shall we say "too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premiership"

Barry Douglas too, hence why he got punted from Wolves before they even played a Premiership game. No pace. Great delivery, but that’s not enough for the top level. 

3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Barry Douglas too, hence why he got punted from Wolves before they even played a Premiership game. No pace. Great delivery, but that’s not enough for the top level. 

A bit unfair. I think if he'd gone up with Fulham or Cardiff we would still be there and playing games.  He's got a good record in other decent leagues.

10 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

To take this back to Cairney, I'm surprised he's not in the squad. 

Only played about 30 minutes of football since coming back from the injury that ruled him out of the last Scotland squad. Think these games were just a week or two to early for him at the moment, as at best he will be going in to them having only played 120 minutes of football over the previous month.

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Only played about 30 minutes of football since coming back from the injury that ruled him out of the last Scotland squad. Think these games were just a week or two to early for him at the moment, as at best he will be going in to them having only played 120 minutes of football over the previous month.

Yeah, I get that. Don't want to push someone coming back from injury. Can't be about lack of match fitness/awareness though. Otherwise there would be two or three other lads who should be left out the squad. 

Anyway, he was getting rave reviews at the start of the season, so I hope he picks up where he left off and also carries it through to the Scotland team when he's ready.