Cairney - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cairney

Squirrelhumper

19 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Disagree.... I don’t care how old they are young or old, pick the best players. Ffs snodgrass is only 31... hardly old.  Using the same logic you wouldn’t pick Naismith who was one of our best players in the last game.   McGregor is 37... our best goalie.  Best players young or old.  I like snodgrass.

If every player in the squad was 36 and we get to the Euros I won’t care a jot what age they are, if a young player is good enough they’ll get in ahead of the experienced guys like Robertson and Tierney did.

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

Yeah, I get that. Don't want to push someone coming back from injury. Can't be about lack of match fitness/awareness though. Otherwise there would be two or three other lads who should be left out the squad. 

Seems that it was Fulham that told the SFA he wasn't available, so he was going to be called up if his club allowed it. I would imagine that Fulham are looking to ease him back into the first team and a couple of weeks training with no games is preferrable from their point of view.

4 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

If every player in the squad was 36 and we get to the Euros I won’t care a jot what age they are, if a young player is good enough they’ll get in ahead of the experienced guys like Robertson and Tierney did.

And that's why we never qualify for any thing. If you have the choice of an average 22 year old or an average 30 year old you should always choose the former.We do not have any players over the 30 that have ever been more than average so we should have been taking chances on younger prospects, Cairney for example or Shinnie perhaps. They are both at an age now with next to no international experience but they could have if Strachan had been in any way forward thinking.I am sure you can name a few players with potential that should be on the bench ahead of Shinnie now

If Cairney does get in the squad he will not get on the pitch to prove he is any good until others have proved they aren't good enough, that is our mentality

The old guard have been cut though, poster on the other page mentioned guys like Adam, Darren Fletcher and James Morrison. All three haven't been called up for ages now, same for Stephen Fletcher, Chris Martin etc so a decent chunk of the failed 12-18 cycle aren't in contention anymore.

I only mentioned Snodgrass as he was excellent for us last season and he's far more involved at premier league than he was at West Ham when he first joined them. Pellegrini obviously rates him so I just don't think Scotland can ignore players regularly playing premier league football with the small pool of options. Exceptions are people like Matt Ritchie with doubts over their commitment to the cause.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And that's why we never qualify for any thing. If you have the choice of an average 22 year old or an average 30 year old you should always choose the former.We do not have any players over the 30 that have ever been more than average so we should have been taking chances on younger prospects, Cairney for example or Shinnie perhaps. They are both at an age now with next to no international experience but they could have if Strachan had been in any way forward thinking.I am sure you can name a few players with potential that should be on the bench ahead of Shinnie now

If Cairney does get in the squad he will not get on the pitch to prove he is any good until others have proved they aren't good enough, that is our mentality

The reason we don’t qualify for anything has nothing to do with the age of the squad. Northern Ireland fielded half a pensioners eleven at the Euros.

5 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

The reason we don’t qualify for anything has nothing to do with the age of the squad. Northern Ireland fielded half a pensioners eleven at the Euros.

And 23 other countries didn't, we have been guilty of blooding players too late for years, decades even.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And 23 other countries didn't, we have been guilty of blooding players too late for years, decades even.

Agreed. We have to be the worst on Earth for this. We still judge a 25 year old as “one for the future” and that attitude has to change. For me, if a laddie takes a man’s wage then he has to at least be given the chance to do a man’s job.

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Agreed. We have to be the worst on Earth for this. We still judge a 25 year old as “one for the future” and that attitude has to change. For me, if a laddie takes a man’s wage then he has to at least be given the chance to do a man’s job.

Steady now, according to BraveheartGordon and Malcolm that's dangerous, revolutionary bolshie talk.

Nae debut until your twenty eight is the proper way to do it. :ok: learn thy place you young whippersnapper.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

No, we don’t. Get with the times. Look at our centre halves. 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

No, we don’t. Get with the times. Look at our centre halves. 

Yes we do. It’s in our mindset as a nation. We have had it for decades. You don’t just prove me wrong because McKenna has been picked.

32 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yes we do. It’s in our mindset as a nation. We have had it for decades. You don’t just prove me wrong because McKenna has been picked.

McLeish in charge and he's picked Souttar (22), McKenna (21), Tierney (21) and Hendry (23) as 4 out of 5 centre halves. You have been unable to change your mindset to recognise the new reality.

Edited by er yir macaroon

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

McLeish in charge and he's picked Souttar (22), McKenna (21), Tierney (21) and Hendry (23) as 4 out of 5 centre halves. You have been unable to change your mindset to recognise the new reality.

It’s a start, I agree. I’m talking about us collectively as a nation. We have suffered terribly from not blooding our youngsters early. Our clubs have to take some huge blame but it may be starting to change now hopefully. 

Nice evasion. Ormond is talking about how Strachan, Levein and Brown in the past all waited ages to give players their debuts whilst continuing to play their wee favourites who were clearly past it.

FFS we even gave once gave the thirty plus trio of Charlie Miller, Andy McLaren and John O'Neil debuts in a friendly against Poland. That is rotten.

An awful attitude that saw Berti Vogts having to hastily arrange pathetic games against the League XI of Hong Kong* and a B team game against Dundee Utd at Tannadice, to assess as many young players as possible.

*A game the SFA embarrassingly awarded caps for and still wrongly claim was the HK national team.

40 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Nice evasion. Ormond is talking about how Strachan, Levein and Brown in the past all waited ages to give players their debuts whilst continuing to play their wee favourites who were clearly past it.

FFS we even gave once gave the thirty plus trio of Charlie Miller, Andy McLaren and John O'Neil debuts in a friendly against Poland. That is rotten.

An awful attitude that saw Berti Vogts having to hastily arrange pathetic games against the League XI of Hong Kong* and a B team game against Dundee Utd at Tannadice, to assess as many young players as possible.

*A game the SFA embarrassingly awarded caps for and still wrongly claim was the HK national team.

I’m talking about now. Another Scottish trait is saying we’re stuck with the status quo and greeting that we can’t do this or that. We now have a young squad, cheer up. 

I’m talking about now. Another Scottish trait is saying we’re stuck with the status quo and greeting that we can’t do this or that. We now have a young squad, cheer up. 

As evidenced by the previous pages we still have folk wanting has beens called up just because they are their favourite player or they don't trust young players.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:30 PM, Malcolm said:

Disagree.... I don’t care how old they are young or old, pick the best players. Ffs snodgrass is only 31... hardly old.  Using the same logic you wouldn’t pick Naismith who was one of our best players in the last game.   McGregor is 37... our best goalie.  Best players young or old.  I like snodgrass.

So you're advocating picking the same players that have failed again and again and again? That is utterly bonkers. Naismith, Mcgregor, Snodgrass and a handful of others should be nowhere near the squad.

18 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Would you have been happy for Alex McLeish to name Darren Fletcher, Charlie Adam, Graham Dorrans, Steven Fletcher and Steven Whittaker in yesterdays squad and drop Calum McGregor, Scott McTominay, John McGinn, Oli McBurnie and Steven O'Donnell ?

Seriously ?

21 minutes ago, Mox said:

So you're advocating picking the same players that have failed again and again and again? That is utterly bonkers. Naismith, Mcgregor, Snodgrass and a handful of others should be nowhere near the squad.

Yes, I’m advocating picking the best players for each position.  Naismith is our best striker right now, McGregor even though his goals have dried up looks lively and liable to create, and snodgrass has hit some form.

Wales didn’t make it the World Cup...  I imagine that Gareth bale might get some game time.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, Ormond said:

It’s a start, I agree. I’m talking about us collectively as a nation. We have suffered terribly from not blooding our youngsters early. Our clubs have to take some huge blame but it may be starting to change now hopefully. 

Not too sure that's the case any more.

Look at the u21 squad. Probably the most experienced at club level we've ever had.

Tierney is 21 and played 150 senior games

Souttar 22 and has played 165 senior games

Chris Cadden 22 126 senior games

Greg Taylor 20 94 senior games

Eamonn Brophy 22 133 senior games

Could go on. Basically if you are good enough you'll get a game in Scotland now. Even at old firm (Middleton, Bates, Johsnton etc)