Cairney - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cairney

Squirrelhumper

This latest call off was genuine...he hasn't played for Fulham since Burnley game on August 26th so a little bit different to likes of Matt Phillips, McBurnie and Fraser perhaps.

I feel this will be like McTominay, little bit of noise over England but he'll be in the squad for Israel providin he's fit, capped and that's the end of that.

Think it shows how desprite England are getting going after dual national even after they been capped with the limited pool of english players playing first team football in the premiership seem to be getting smaller year after year.

Example of this the Mctominary situation where southgate tried to speak to him to get him in the england fold.

Think Ireland faceing a simler problem with Declan Rice, England seem to be trying to get him back even after he allready played 3 games.

Given the riches England have in that position just now (and Cairney at 27 is 2-5 years older than players already established) I would assume it's just paper talk at the moment, and would not look to much into it.

While he has pulled out with injuries a couple of times, he has also hardly ever been called up at the same time.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I think he would be a loss; he's a proper no. 10 something England lack, which probably is the origin of the story. Not sure who we have that's similar. McGregor perhaps?

He's good but England have plenty of other options. Maddison for starters. He'd have very limited chances. 

Suspect this is a non-story and has most likely been placed by Cairney's agent with a view to trying to force McLeish's hand, it'd be interesting to know if Cairney has any international appearance kickers with Fulham or other sponsors.

England actually have a seriously impressive amount of talent coming through at the younger ages, I doubt they'd be looking at a 27 year old international novice.  

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

Suspect this is a non-story and has most likely been placed by Cairney's agent with a view to trying to force McLeish's hand, it'd be interesting to know if Cairney has any international appearance kickers with Fulham or other sponsors.

England actually have a seriously impressive amount of talent coming through at the younger ages, I doubt they'd be looking at a 27 year old international novice.  

Suspect its a element of knee-jerk reaction by the English media to England losing out on Ethan Ampadu, and the Declan Rice situation going nowhere fast, but as you said, England do not need to be looking at a 27 year old who is only having his first full season in the Premier League.

Given Cairney's own manager came out and said that his injury that ruled him out of the last Scotland squad would see him out for weeks, just a case of a conveniently placed article 

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I think he would be a loss; he's a proper no. 10 something England lack, which probably is the origin of the story. Not sure who we have that's similar. McGregor perhaps?

Undoubtedly he'd be a loss. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves on. We don't have many midfielders playing regularly at the level he is and without him all it takes is a couple of injuries and we're back to the Barry Bannans and Ryan Jacks to fill gaps in the squad. He really should have a competitive Scotland cap by now. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

A couple of years ago the same newspaper ran a story about James McCarthy wanting to switch to Scotland (before he'd made a full appearance for the Republic of Ireland) which turned out, as we now know, to be nonsense. 

The timing of this story makes no sense. Southgate must have known Cairney was one of the English Championship's best players last season and he must have been aware of him playing well in Fulham's first few games of this season, so why, if there is any truth to these rumours, didn't he name him in his last squad? Why has this supposed interest only come to light after Cairney has been injured for the past fortnight??

12 minutes ago, Ormond said:

There certainly used to be with foreign lads who were schooled in Scotland.

The eligibility criteria for the Home Nations is:

A Player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:

• a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
  • b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
  • c) One of his biological grandparents was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
  • d) He has engaged in a minimum of five years education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association.

Basically, if you hold a British passport and don't have parents from the country, you have to have engaged in five years education within that country before you're eighteen to play for a Home Nation.

19 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

FIFA rules that allow this are a joke.

This.

18 hours ago, bookerman said:

Think it shows how desprite England are getting going after dual national even after they been capped with the limited pool of english players playing first team football in the premiership seem to be getting smaller year after year.

Example of this the Mctominary situation where southgate tried to speak to him to get him in the england fold.

Think Ireland faceing a simler problem with Declan Rice, England seem to be trying to get him back even after he allready played 3 games.

Wasn't there also talk of Oliver Burke being called up by England at one point? I don't know if this is just paper talk or whether England are seriously struggling for players.

Just to add on Cairney, he's alrways struck me as in the Don Hutchison, Graeme Alexander & Paul Devlin camp,of Anglos in that he genuinely would look as Scotland being his number one choice.

He broke through when he was about 17 at Hull in the EPL and he was in our system.  There was some talk at that time of England tapping him up then.  If he was going to go, he would have done it then.  

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

Just to add on Cairney, he's alrways struck me as in the Don Hutchison, Graeme Alexander & Paul Devlin camp,of Anglos in that he genuinely would look as Scotland being his number one choice.

He broke through when he was about 17 at Hull in the EPL and he was in our system.  There was some talk at that time of England tapping him up then.  If he was going to go, he would have done it then.  

This article seems to suggest that: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/my-miner-dad-would-kill-me-if-i-turned-1066815

Always got to want good players to stay with us and certainly Cairney is a good player. However bizarrely he's not yet got that competitive cap.

Tough to judge on so few appearances but he didn't stand out in either of the friendlies that he has played. If he stays and gets his chance, we really need to see the sort of performances that Stuart Armstrong has been producing.

While England are well within their rights to go for him, this new aggressive approach that they have to approaching dual nationals not tied down is very poor. The whole Declan Rice debacle is not really fair on such a young lad who will have all sorts of pressures. He had been well looked after through the Irish age groups.

Fingers crossed Cairney rejects the approach and has a fruitful future with us.

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Always got to want good players to stay with us and certainly Cairney is a good player. However bizarrely he's not yet got that competitive cap.

Tough to judge on so few appearances but he didn't stand out in either of the friendlies that he has played. If he stays and gets his chance, we really need to see the sort of performances that Stuart Armstrong has been producing.

While England are well within their rights to go for him, this new aggressive approach that they have to approaching dual nationals not tied down is very poor. The whole Declan Rice debacle is not really fair on such a young lad who will have all sorts of pressures. He had been well looked after through the Irish age groups.

Fingers crossed Cairney rejects the approach and has a fruitful future with us.

I've no sympathy for the Republic of Ireland, they've done exactly the same to Northern Ireland on several occasions. 

4 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

And us too!

I could be wrong but I don't think any of the Scottish born players that went on to play for the Republic of Ireland went through the SFA youth system and then jumped ship , that's what I'm talking about with NI.

They were either those that - for whatever reason - weren't good enough for Scotland or had been in the ROI youth setup from an early age