Red card watch - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Red card watch

Thought Morelos at Pittodrie could have been handled with a quiet word telling both players to grow up.

Thought Devine's red card for what was at most a tussle amongst the two of them was laughable.

Cristiano Ronaldo's red card tonight comprehensively demonstrates that officialdom has lost the plot.

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Thought Morelos at Pittodrie could have been handled with a quiet word telling both players to grow up.

Thought Devine's red card for what was at most a tussle amongst the two of them was laughable.

Cristiano Ronaldo's red card tonight comprehensively demonstrates that officialdom has lost the plot.

Harsh as it was for Ronaldo,  it was amusing to see him crying like the wee fanny that he clearly is👍

Edited by Jim Beem

Guest faircity
13 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

You think booting somebody off the ball should be dealt with by way of a quiet word? Seriously?

On 9/21/2018 at 12:20 AM, Scotty CTA said:

Buffalo Heid's red should have been upheld.

Devlin's wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity.

That is considered subjective unfortunately. 

However, what was wrong with the decision to uphold Devlin's red was that the tug by Brophy on Devlin was completely discounted (ignored) in the appeal process.  The tug on Devlin, as well as being a foul, meant he was in the wrong place and more than likely why he tugged Brophy in response.  The red would have to have been overturned if the full passage of play was considered. 

In the case of Morelos, the red card was overturned because the panel looked at the full passage of play and because of the barge from McKenna on Morelos.   I actually think they got this decision correct - they saw the bigger (full) picture. 

What actually makes this worse is that the reason the panel discounted the tug on Devlin was that Thompson didn't give a foul for it at the time and apparently the the panel can't review a decision already made by a referee at the time.  Notwithstanding the fact this is exactly what they did do in the Morelos case, it's clear that Thompson, who was around 30 yards away from the incident, didn't see the tug on Devlin.  The fact he didn't give a foul doesn't mean he made a decision, it just means he didn't see it. Thompson can't have seen both tugs - he can't have given a foul for one and let the other go - they were identical.

The problem is that you have two separate cases with a completely different set of rules applied which result in different responses to the appeals.  Why the inconsistency?  It makes the Compliance Officer, the elected judiciary panel and the entire process (oh and the SFA) look very poor at best.

37 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

...and then the same ref only books Boyata for a foul that looked more of a goalscoring opportunity than Devlin's.

(For the record IMO both were yellow cards only).

Haven't seen it yet but from what I've read on Twitter etc, it's another decision from Thompson that fans the flames!

I think the correct decisions would have been a yellow to both Morelos and Brophy!

3 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

In the case of Morelos, the red card was overturned because the panel looked at the full passage of play and because of the barge from McKenna on Morelos.   I actually think they got this decision correct - they saw the bigger (full) picture. 

McKenna's 'barge' was a bump.

More-less's kick was a kick.

If man-mountain McKenna had barged Buffalo Heid then he would have been on the ground.

(See McKenna's yellow v Motherwell.)

19 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

McKenna's 'barge' was a bump.

More-less's kick was a kick.

If man-mountain McKenna had barged Buffalo Heid then he would have been on the ground.

(See McKenna's yellow v Motherwell.)

You're debating the Morelos red card being overturned.  I agree that it remains up for debate, although, my view is that they got it correct.  However, the point I'm making is that the exact same factors which were used to overturn the Morelos red card were completely and utterly discounted in Devlin's case despite being even more compelling. 

Edited by SMcoolJ