Independence Reminders - Politics - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Independence Reminders

RenfrewBlue

Just had a notification from Facebook that I had memories for today. Lo and behold it's all the pictures and posts from myself, friends and family trying to cajole the whole of Scotland into voting Yes. 

Brought back all of my memories from possibly the best and worst day of my life. 

Still painful to look at the posts. 

When your birthday happens to be 18th September it follows you the rest of your life ....or until the next one

And yes the FB memories are hard to look at

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

When your birthday happens to be 18th September it follows you the rest of your life ....or until the next one

And yes the FB memories are hard to look at

Well that's cheered me up. It's nice to know there's always someone worse off than yourself. 😉

2 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Couldn't even look at mine. Remember being at George Square a couple of nights before and thinking "this is actually happening"

Deflating and depressing

I was round the doors the whole day encouraging folk to get out and vote. Gave old ladies a lift to the polling station etc. 

Knew before the polls closed that it was over. 

Gutted doesn't come close. 

1 hour ago, King Of Paisley said:

When Clackmannanshire, reputedly a Yes stronghold, voted No I knew the game was up.

The following day was worse. There was one gloating fanny wearing a butchers apron tshirt in work. The mood I was inI desperately wanted to smack the dick right in the puss

The following day was worse for me too. I could not believe how the folk I worked with just treated it like any other day that year, like absolutely nothing had taken place.

My heart was breaking  and they were discussing whether to get a chinese or indian takeaway that night. I felt so alone that day. 

2 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

When Clackmannanshire, reputedly a Yes stronghold, voted No I knew the game was up.

The following day was worse. There was one gloating fanny wearing a butchers apron tshirt in work. The mood I was inI desperately wanted to smack the dick right in the puss

I admire your control. Not sure I'd have been up to that standard. 

I took the Friday off because I was convinced I would be celebrating independence.........but just over half the country shat their pants and believed the lies and fear mongering. 

Ill never forget the call from my old employer on the Wednesday night before the vote, this is a very well known building society. I was told I may not have a job if scotland was independent because the building society  could only operate within the UK. I was also told anyone in the Scottish team would have to go to a local branch on the Friday if Scotland voted yes because they feared another northern rock style clear out, if we voted yes I wouldn’t be allowed the day off I had booked. I’d never worked in one of the branches before because I didn’t work in retail banking, they basically wanted us to act as a bouncers on the door.

the cynic in me thinks this was a fear tactic used by the company to get people to vote no, I know for a fact some people I worked with voted no because they feared for their jobs. I also know Score in Peterhead told apprentices they would lose their jobs if they voted no.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I took the Friday off because I was convinced I would be celebrating independence.........but just over half the country shat their pants and believed the lies and fear mongering. 

Ill never forget the call from my old employer on the Wednesday night before the vote, this is a very well known building society. I was told I may not have a job if scotland was independent because the building society  could only operate within the UK. I was also told anyone in the Scottish team would have to go to a local branch on the Friday if Scotland voted yes because they feared another northern rock style clear out, if we voted yes I wouldn’t be allowed the day off I had booked. I’d never worked in one of the branches before because I didn’t work in retail banking, they basically wanted us to act as a bouncers on the door.

the cynic in me thinks this was a fear tactic used by the company to get people to vote no, I know for a fact some people I worked with voted no because they feared for their jobs. I also know Score in Peterhead told apprentices they would lose their jobs if they voted no.

I have a friend in the borders, the largest customer of the company she works for is based in England and threatened to take his business away if they voted yes.

The boss in the company her son works for told the workforce if they voted yes they would have no jobs.

This actually convinced them to vote yes as they were undecided. I doubt many others were that brave. 

Hugely disappointing night it was. I had told myself and a few pals on the Tuesday before the vote that I don't think there was enough people. I was hoping I was wrong and that come the day, there would be a surge to Yes.

Yet, the more I think back ; its amazing we actually managed to get 45% of the vote. Considering the onslaught and that last week where BBC, Sky etc didn't even attempt to report anything neutrally. Not that I am a conspiracy theorist, but I don't know if we would be allowed to be an independent country if we had voted Yes, a bit like Catalonia at present. 

I'm a bit pessimistic regarding when and if a second Indyref can be won soon. I think we need a bad Brexit for it to come to forefront or win and possibly wait a few years to see the effects of Brexit, before we see any widespread support of Yes. A lot of the maybe/no sure, will probably vote No again, IMO. 

Of course if there is a second referendum, I will do something though and leave the negativity for here, :)

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Did they lose their jobs then?

Sorry, that should have been - lost their jobs if they voted yes

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I have a friend in the borders, the largest customer of the company she works for is based in England and threatened to take his business away if they voted yes.

The boss in the company her son works for told the workforce if they voted yes they would have no jobs.

This actually convinced them to vote yes as they were undecided. I doubt many others were that brave. 

I know a few apprentices at the place I mentioned - they all voted yes as a big fuck you to the company but there are some again who voted no out of fear

5 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Hugely disappointing night it was. I had told myself and a few pals on the Tuesday before the vote that I don't think there was enough people. I was hoping I was wrong and that come the day, there would be a surge to Yes.

Yet, the more I think back ; its amazing we actually managed to get 45% of the vote. Considering the onslaught and that last week where BBC, Sky etc didn't even attempt to report anything neutrally. Not that I am a conspiracy theorist, but I don't know if we would be allowed to be an independent country if we had voted Yes, a bit like Catalonia at present. 

I'm a bit pessimistic regarding when and if a second Indyref can be won soon. I think we need a bad Brexit for it to come to forefront or win and possibly wait a few years to see the effects of Brexit, before we see any widespread support of Yes. A lot of the maybe/no sure, will probably vote No again, IMO. 

Of course if there is a second referendum, I will do something though and leave the negativity for here, :)

I'm a bit like yourself regarding a second referendum. I can't see it happening until after the Brexit shit hits the fan and folk see what they've done. 

Even then it'll be a struggle but I'll be doing my best to convince as many folk as possible to make it happen. 

Four years? Doesn't seem like it's been that long.

A summer of optimism collapsing into dust within hours. As I live down in England, it was difficult to get an accurate picture; the messages I was getting made me believe that it was going to happen. Unfortunately, those messages were from people in the Glasgow area (where 'Yes' did win). It was only on the day when I started to second guess myself, thinking that enough people would vote 'No' through fear to prevent a 'Yes' vote.

I had just started Year 12 (S6), so it was fun going to school on the 19th :rolleyes:. These people viewed any support for independence as purely narrow minded nationalism; seeing no reason why anyone would want to leave the UK otherwise. Some of these people said to me after the Brexit vote that they now understood why I wanted Scotland to be independent and would consider moving to Scotland if it were independent in the EU.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:57 PM, Debian said:

I was working in Dublin that week.   I also had to work the Friday, so I flew home Thursday night, voted yes, stayed up all night, and then back to Dublin feeling broken.

I flew back hoping to celebrate. It was a British Airways flight arriving at Heathrow to change for Glasgow. It was about two thirds of the way into the Atlantic flight when the Captain announced the result over the tannoy. The look on passengers faces as I slumped off of my seat in near tears at the news. 😥 The stewardess came over to me and put her arms around me(I’ve never witnessed that before). 

The 3-4 hour wait in Heathrow of all places as every tv screen was awash with the result was one of the worst feelings of my life. 

Edited by Ormond

I took Friday off, no matter the result, I wouldnt want to be in work.

It was clear very early on Thursday night, that the country was full of cunts. Throughout the night, I ignored texts and calls, answered one from my dad, but that was it. Friday was horrible, I stupidly watched TV, it was awful, but the worst part was Salmond resigning, I pretty much just sat in a rage / huff / pity / tears for the next few days.

Monday morning, back to work sadly, and I wasnt looking forward to it. My boss, not someone who I particularly got on with for various reasons, (was a typical No voter (Rangers fan, family with army history, hated SNP, pretend Labour, but real Tory etc)) came up to me, wasnt smirking or anything, which I kinda expected him to do, and he asked how I was, my answer was blunt, and that no cunt better start their shite. The day dragged like fuck, I sat in my office and hardly spoke to anyone, it was genuinely horrible.

Looking back, I still feel the same. The Nazis celebrating in George Square summed it up for me, racist bigoted cunts, picking on lassies etc Cunts.

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Looking back, I still feel the same. The Nazis celebrating in George Square summed it up for me, racist bigoted cunts, picking on lassies etc Cunts.

That part made the news in the US. She knew I was out in Glasgow that night and was messaging worried. The police locked us inside Waxy’s that night and told us that the vermin were just running around the streets lashing out at folk. Hun cunts. 

On 9/19/2018 at 1:34 AM, euan2020 said:

I flew back from South Africa to vote - aye just to vote - thought it was going to happen - pissed off when started seeing the exit polls

What exit polls?  I don't think there were any exit polls for the indyref - which I found suspicious at the time and even more so now.