September 18 2014 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

September 18 2014

I wrote this on Indy eve - such an opportunity missed.

"And so, here we are. As darkness falls over Scotland on this late summer evening, all the work has been done. The speeches speeched, the canvassing canvassed. There's one more opinion poll due out tonight - but who cares?
As we go to the Polling Stations tomorrow, remember that it's about the future. The future of Scotland and the people who live here.
We have had some glorious and not so glorious times as part of the union, but you can't make progress looking in the rear-view mirror. The past will always be. It happened. It's gone.
This question is about us. It's about the confidence we have in ourselves to make something better. Something that takes us from where we are at the moment, a wealthy country with poor and hungry people, to a country that values its citizens and rewards them appropriately.
Vote well, friends. May your choice reflect your hope and not your fear!"

Nice words.

I wonder if many people would vote differently tomorrow, especially with the clusterfuck that is Brexit.

Anecdotally the staunch appear to have got stauncher, perhaps in response to a perception that nationalists were pretty vociferous and remain so.

I’m not particularly into politics, but I struggle to get my head round folk who are so entrenched in their view that the SNP are bad they’ll vote Tory. Working class folk from Lanarkshire voting Tory makes no sense. (Especially if it’s based on Nicola Sturgeon having a shite haircut or Alex Salmond being a chubby narcissist).

While I get unionists not liking the MO of the SNP, surely it’s obvious that in most cases the SNP are genuinely representing the interests of Scotland.

Anyway, I expect some of the folk in the middle who “shat it” to vote yes might have regretted that decision since.

34 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Anecdotally the staunch appear to have got stauncher, perhaps in response to a perception that nationalists were pretty vociferous and remain so.

I’m not particularly into politics, but I struggle to get my head round folk who are so entrenched in their view that the SNP are bad they’ll vote Tory. Working class folk from Lanarkshire voting Tory makes no sense. (Especially if it’s based on Nicola Sturgeon having a shite haircut or Alex Salmond being a chubby narcissist).

These type do and did not make up the core of the No vote

They are getting more vociferous because they realise that and are trying to shore their vote up

The 55+ demographic is key. This is the most that are reluctant to any kind of change and easily duped by the establishment media. 

I do take comfort in knowing that there's only a 6% swing needed next time to win. I know lots who voted No that would now be Yes which is welcome for next time. My biggest fear is that if we mess this up again then it's game over. 

3 minutes ago, McDange said:

The 55+ demographic is key. This is the most that are reluctant to any kind of change and easily duped by the establishment media. 

I do take comfort in knowing that there's only a 6% swing needed next time to win. I know lots who voted No that would now be Yes which is welcome for next time. My biggest fear is that if we mess this up again then it's game over. 

Yes, my mum is early 60s and falls into the “shat it” category.

48 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Nice words.

I wonder if many people would vote differently tomorrow, especially with the clusterfuck that is Brexit.

While I get unionists not liking the MO of the SNP, surely it’s obvious that in most cases the SNP are genuinely representing the interests of Scotland.

Anyway, I expect some of the folk in the middle who “shat it” to vote yes might have regretted that decision since.

I honestly dont know if people would vote differently, I think many will just drift along with whatever life presents as they are more scared of an unknown alternative. 

Most folk dont give a fook about politics, until Indyref came along I was one of them.

If truth be told politics still bores the arse off me, but I genuinely feel the country and its people would prosper on its own and for this reason I try to keep involved. 

People need to feel they have confidence in the big issues.  I attended an informal workshop recently where the guy ( retired economist) feels very strong about the prospect of our own currency and that  banks in an independant scotland need to be changed from fractional reserve to full reserve  , ie banks need to go back to basics and keep all depositors money in cash to avoid them going bust.

The government should take back control of the banks as influential businessmen have too much control over the banks. Of course people might then feel the government has too much control,  but you can always vote out a government. 

I could see this being attractive to a lot of people, banks have a shit reputation and probably for good reason. But this is quite different from what the Growth Report suggests so really not sure how much of a chance the idea would have.   

Until we decide upon a strategy and have the answers to allay people's fears we will be relying on a total fook up of Brexit to get independance over the line. 

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Yes, my mum is early 60s and falls into the “shat it” category.

My parents both voted Yes but changed from No the closer the election got. My brother, sister and I were all strong Yes and the closer it got to the vote, the more they swayed towards Yes and eventually voted Yes. My Aunt and Uncle were borderline but prob shat it in the end but both now regret it.

10 hours ago, Flure said:

I wrote this on Indy eve - such an opportunity missed.

"And so, here we are. As darkness falls over Scotland on this late summer evening, all the work has been done. The speeches speeched, the canvassing canvassed. There's one more opinion poll due out tonight - but who cares?
As we go to the Polling Stations tomorrow, remember that it's about the future. The future of Scotland and the people who live here.
We have had some glorious and not so glorious times as part of the union, but you can't make progress looking in the rear-view mirror. The past will always be. It happened. It's gone.
This question is about us. It's about the confidence we have in ourselves to make something better. Something that takes us from where we are at the moment, a wealthy country with poor and hungry people, to a country that values its citizens and rewards them appropriately.
Vote well, friends. May your choice reflect your hope and not your fear!"

Some selective quoting going on here, you also predicted 60% YES.;)

Thanks for thread, Flute.

I remember staying in Bannockburn (as I thought it both appropriate and that it would bring luck) (wrong on both counts)

I then remember watching the results coming in, and how it DID seem over right from the first results. And then Alex's resignation and "The Dream Shall Never Die".

Well, it HASNT died. Whether it will take another year or two years or five years or another generation, Independence is the inevitable future for Scotland. 

And next time Scots get to vote, they will be voting for Independence, not as something nice to wish for, but as a 100% absolute necessity.

A fine example of how indyref became a movement of "look at me" me with 2 1/2 years of soundbite campaigning. Paraphrasing Nelson Mandela!

Imagine 10% of the passion and commitment had been used to sort real problems out in areas like education, mental health, elderly care. Instead its hopes, dreams and social media style emptiness.

3 minutes ago, Alan said:

A fine example of how indyref became a movement of "look at me" me with 2 1/2 years of soundbite campaigning. Paraphrasing Nelson Mandela!

Imagine 10% of the passion and commitment had been used to sort real problems out in areas like education, mental health, elderly care. Instead its hopes, dreams and social media style emptiness.

Kumnio was spot on with his reply to you.

9 hours ago, Alan said:

I think a large proportion of folk who voted Yes already do use their passion in those areas, hence why the whole campaign started.

Imagine if the greedy bastards in this country contributed 10% of their wealth to sort out the same problems. 

It truely was a very painful experience, i had my family round early evening and we all felt excited and nervous a feeling that there was a small chance a significant piece of history was about to he made, I expected the result however that did not help when the vote came through, the campaign was full of excitement and enthusiasm in the yes camp which would have extended into an independent Scotland. Cut away all the bullshit of alan in his like, we really do have a fantastic country and one which can achieve independence in most of our lifetime. Keep the faith 👍  

11 hours ago, Alan said:

You really are one sad individual.

Guest faircity
11 hours ago, Alan said:

Almost impossible to respond to that without having someone wield the ban hammer. 

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s been a quick 4 years.

The year leading up to the vote was really brilliant, was devastated at the time, and although my views may have changed, it’s a period in our history that I’ll never forget.

So do you now think Scotland is better off as part of the UK? Or have your views changed in another way?

Edited by wee-toon-red

19 hours ago, Alan said:

Fuck off you complete bellend.