Continental players - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Continental players

mrniaboc

Of the five young lads playing in the 2nd tier of continental European leagues this season, who would you bet a pint on being the first to get a call up to the senior squad; Harper, Henderson, Bates, Gauld, or St Clair?

My pint would be on Harper, as we're lacking in attacking talent and he's been getting more game time than the rest this season. I'd love to look at the same 5 guys a year from now and see what they are up to.

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Seems to be the most we've had for a while. I'm sure it's a good thing although doesn't automatically work as Oli Burke found out.

Indeed. I mean he actually scored in the Bundesliga! Hopefully at least on of these guys can properly break through, and Oli can also fulfil the potential he has after this sad false start.

Bates and Henderson are the two most likely.

St Clair has been on the Venizia bench for 1 of their 3 games so far this season, so far to early for him to be considered.

gauld still has time on his side, and is pretty much at make or break season now with Sporting (they have sent him out on loan again?)

Just now, wanderer said:

Bates and Henderson are the two most likely.

St Clair has been on the Venizia bench for 1 of their 3 games so far this season, so far to early for him to be considered.

gauld still has time on his side, and is pretty much at make or break season now with Sporting (they have sent him out on loan again?)

Gauld now at Farense. For me Harper is most likely as he is a striker and there is a dearth of these around at the moment. Henderson will be behind McGinn, Armstrong, McGregor, Cairney, McTominay, Fraser, McDonald and a couple of others.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gauld now at Farense. For me Harper is most likely as he is a striker and there is a dearth of these around at the moment. Henderson will be behind McGinn, Armstrong, McGregor, Cairney, McTominay, Fraser, McDonald and a couple of others.

McDonald is absolute gash! 

47 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He’s hardly ‘absolute gash’.

I agree he hasn’t exactly set the heather alight in his few appearances for Scotland but he’s a decent player for Fulham and could still do a job for us.

We do have better midfielders certainly but with the amount of injury call offs we get, decent midfielders cannot be disregarded. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Funny when you stick our midfielders in a list like that it really is just a heap of mediocrity. Suppose a couple of them are still young enough to improve.

Bates was only on bench at the weekend, seemed to have played  pretty well in his two previous games. Two good games and your seen as the great white hope on here.

15 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He can't be if he is holding down a place in the EPL. McTominay may be better but he has only had 10 minutes first team action this season. Who would you prefer. And don't forget they are not flashy types just defensive midfielders which we cannot really so without.

Wasn't there a half Scottish-half Spanish goalie playing lower league football in Spain about ten or eleven years ago that wanted to play for Scotland ?  

He spoke no English and had never been to Scotland but was really proud of his Scottish family and said he'd love for Alex McLeish to call him up. Think his name was Mackay.

Is he still playing ?

Found him

Ian Mackay. Currently playing for Racing Ferrol in Spain's Segunda División B – Group 1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6343021.stm

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12756993.The_Scottish_goalkeeper_who_doesn_apos_t_speak_English______/

Going by his comments from the time at least his heart was in the right place 👍

Edited by ErsatzThistle

10 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Farense had a player sent off in the 40th minute so subbing him at half time could have been just a re-jig. Fairly normal to take off an attacking midfielder. 

Not if he is your best player, which Gauld really should be at that level if he has hopes of playing for Scotland

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Not if he is your best player, which Gauld really should be at that level if he has hopes of playing for Scotland

But I would hardly see a lower league club haul off a player from a big club 45 minutes into their debut. Even if he had been utter garbage you'd give them longer than 45 minutes. That is common sense. It is far more plausible a reason was he picked up an injury or like was suggested they reshuffled the side due to the sending off which had happened only 5 minutes earlier.