Jerusalem Day Trip - Page 2 - Israel V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jerusalem Day Trip

DoonTheSlope

12 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Just wear shorts and slip a pair of jobby catchers over them before you go into the mosques and churches?

Aye I suppose that's one solution. Was actually meaning to ask you which day you were doing the tour as there's only 2 of our group wanting to do it so if it was the Wednesday we could meet up for the required 4.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:01 PM, Scotland Ever More said:

How strict are they with the no shorts rule on these trips? What else do they expect you to wear when it's so warm?

Depends where you go, Temple Mount should be fine but some of the churches are quite strict with dress code. As long as you don’t mind being refused entry then wear what you want. When I go to Bethlehem I always wear long or 3/4 length trouser, tops with sleeves past the elbow and I usually carry a large scarf/shawl to throw round my neck and shoulders in case the monks are in a particularly misogynistic mood that day.  

The weather will be nice but usually not exceptionally hot in October. 

3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Petra in Jordan day trip for me. By bus. 4am departure and back at midnight. 

Just feel Petra is TOO close not to make the effort 👍🏼

You’ll love it, beautiful place and well worth the long day. 

9 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Aye I suppose that's one solution. Was actually meaning to ask you which day you were doing the tour as there's only 2 of our group wanting to do it so if it was the Wednesday we could meet up for the required 4.

I don’t arrive until the Wednesday so my only full day other than matchday is Friday

Appreciate the offer though 👍🏻

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I don’t arrive until the Wednesday so my only full day other than matchday is Friday

Appreciate the offer though 👍🏻

No problem. I had originally planned on doing the Friday as our flight home was around midnight but they brought it forward to 6pm which means having to get a hotel in Luton for the night as well rather than just sit in the airport for a few hours before flying to Glasgow.

11 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

No problem. I had originally planned on doing the Friday as our flight home was around midnight but they brought it forward to 6pm which means having to get a hotel in Luton for the night as well rather than just sit in the airport for a few hours before flying to Glasgow.

The Mrs and me arrive Tues night and may be interested in a trip on the Wed. Also flying back in to Luton on the Friday. 

12 minutes ago, DoubleSC said:

The Mrs and me arrive Tues night and may be interested in a trip on the Wed. Also flying back in to Luton on the Friday. 

Any one in particular?

I can't decide between these two

https://www.getyourguide.co.uk/tel-aviv-l487/jerusalem-and-bethlehem-full-day-trip-from-tel-aviv-t22202/#booking-assistant

https://www.toursinenglish.com/2007/11/jerusalem-tour-all-day.html?m=1

With the first one you see both Bethlehem and Jerusalem but it feels a lot more religious whereas the other seems to concentrate more on the conflict between Israel and Palestine which is more interesting to me 

Edited by Scotland Ever More

35 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Any one in particular?

I can't decide between these two

https://www.getyourguide.co.uk/tel-aviv-l487/jerusalem-and-bethlehem-full-day-trip-from-tel-aviv-t22202/#booking-assistant

https://www.toursinenglish.com/2007/11/jerusalem-tour-all-day.html?m=1

With the first one you see both Bethlehem and Jerusalem but it feels a lot more religious whereas the other seems to concentrate more on the conflict between Israel and Palestine which is more interesting to me 

More than happy to do what you folks want as I can see you've looked in to the trips in some detail. We fly Luton to Paphos on the Monday then Paphos to Tel Aviv Tues night arriving 2140. Wed is the best day for us. Count us in.

On 9/16/2018 at 7:17 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

Going to go with Ben Harim Tours once I decide what tour I’m going to go on. Looking on trip advisor and they have over 3,000 top reviews so they must be doing something right

The sunrise Masada / dead sea one looks good , not sure a 2am start is great though 

7 hours ago, tattiescone69 said:

The sunrise Masada / dead sea one looks good , not sure a 2am start is great though 

It’s worth it but take plenty of water for the walk, even though it’ll be cool temperature wise you’ll still need plenty of fluids, you can refill at the top for coming back down. Takes about 45 mins to an hour to walk up and is a bit of a hike over loose rocks occasionally so closed boots or trainers are better than sandals. The walk down is ‘fun’, last time I did it I had jelly legs for couple of hours after. I’ve been a couple of times for sunset but always been told sunrise is more spectacular. I’m doing a different tour so going to Ein Gedi before heading to the Dead Sea for a nippy dip. 

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Been quoted 75 quid return for an airport transfer. There's 3 of us and it fits 4 so if any solo travelers are on the Luton to Tel Aviv on Tuesday afternoon then you're welcome to jump in with us.

I am on that flight. Easyjet arr 14.15

Would happily share a taxi...😀

12 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

I am on that flight. Easyjet arr 14.15

Would happily share a taxi...😀

Hi mate. We fly with wizzair I'm sure. 

Could possibly still arrange something though if you're on your own. What hotel are you in?

Edit: sorry just noticed you arrive at 2.15 but we don't get there until 8.40pm

Edited by Scotland Ever More

16 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Been quoted 75 quid return for an airport transfer. There's 3 of us and it fits 4 so if any solo travelers are on the Luton to Tel Aviv on Tuesday afternoon then you're welcome to jump in with us.

Any more news for the trip on Wed.

Just now, Scotland Ever More said:

Not yet mate. Going to decide between the two I posted and will send you a pm.

Think I'm more swaying towards the Jerusalem only one though

Cheers bud. We are happy with either. Looking forward to it. Gets us back in time for a few beers.

Looks like you can get a regular service bus every half hour from central bus station tel aviv to jerusalem, only takes 50 minutes. Then there is a tram service to old tourist part [10 mins]. Cheap easy option.

Also new fast train option starting in october but may have teething problems or be intermittent.

On 9/20/2018 at 12:51 PM, DoubleSC said:

Cheers bud. We are happy with either. Looking forward to it. Gets us back in time for a few beers.

I've pretty much decided to go with the Green Olive Jerusalem tour mate. Works out about 95 quid each.

I'll be in touch during the week and we can arrange to get it booked. The minimum requirement is four people so will be myself and my mate along with you and your wife.

Cheers

13 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I've pretty much decided to go with the Green Olive Jerusalem tour mate. Works out about 95 quid each.

I'll be in touch during the week and we can arrange to get it booked. The minimum requirement is four people so will be myself and my mate along with you and your wife.

Cheers

Sounds great. Would cost as much in beer if we didn't do a trip. Still get a few after the trip. Let's know payment details. Can transfer to your account if easier.

35 minutes ago, DoubleSC said:

Sounds great. Would cost as much in beer if we didn't do a trip. Still get a few after the trip. Let's know payment details. Can transfer to your account if easier.

I'll send you a pm with my phone number and details during the week mate. Just waiting to hear back from them and confirm if it's 2 or 3 in my group. Cheers