St Faddy De Paris 11 years ago today - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

St Faddy De Paris 11 years ago today

fringo

1 hour ago, Debian said:

Who cares. 

We never qualified and the goalie made an arse of it.  Cunts like this still go on a out Gemmell in 78. 

I care. 

I remember I was in the Loft on Ashton Lane with a bunch of mates watching it on the big screen. At half time the bar staff were giving out tickets for free pints if Scotland won and a bunch of people were leaving and giving their tickets away before Faddy smashed home that screamer. Free drinks for the rest of the night and we had just beaten the previous year's World Cup finalists home and away in competitive matches. Something that hadn't been done to France in a very long time. What followed was even better. A genuine feeling of belief. 

For many of us young TA lads and lassies that IS our Gemmill '78. We're never gonna win the World Cup. You've got to enjoy the relative highlights, and hold onto the good memories, otherwise what are you even doing? 

Never ever experienced a feeling like that at a Scotland game. Especially walking out of the ground at the end and the French standing around us applauding for the support we had that day. From the day under the tower to the march then the game. Brilliant.

Does anyone else mind the local tramp on the grassy fields under the Eiffel tower? He had a hamster/gerbil inside one of those plastic balls. What a swally he got given to him. I used to have a picture where he got that hammered he fell ontop of the hamster and crushed it. 😂

Edited by Ormond

Great game. Dunno why but watching it I actually felt comfortable that Scotland would hold on to the 1-0 for once. I can't remember if Craig Gordon had that many saves to make afterwards but never really felt it would go to 1-1, think there were 20 minutes left after the goal.

Probably not the best France era as Zidane had just retired and their performances at next few tournaments were very poor but hardly anyone wins a competitive game in France.

I was trying to work out why this wasn't played at Stade de France, was it due to the Rugby World cup that started a few weeks later?

19 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Great game. Dunno why but watching it I actually felt comfortable that Scotland would hold on to the 1-0 for once. I can't remember if Craig Gordon had that many saves to make afterwards but never really felt it would go to 1-1, think there were 20 minutes left after the goal.

Probably not the best France era as Zidane had just retired and their performances at next few tournaments were very poor but hardly anyone wins a competitive game in France.

I was trying to work out why this wasn't played at Stade de France, was it due to the Rugby World cup that started a few weeks later?

Yep, couldn’t use stade de France because of rugby World Cup. Probably just as well - don’t think a march to st Denis would’ve been a goer