Scottish Born Players - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Born Players

Squirrelhumper

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Always a bit insulted by these kind of posts.

I wasn't born within the border, but with Scottish parentage and growing up with Scotland as my country, the idea that of which side of a line you fell out of your mum is a determining factor is not only stupid, but kind of offensive. You don't care more than me because of the location of your birth.

Sure there will be players who are in it for the status.. I'd propose Ritchie as one given that he said himself he'd never been to Scotland before he turned up for an international. But for the vast majority of non-domestically born Scots, we'd give everything for the nation to do well.

As with most things, generalisations aren't helpful, so I'd thank you not to do it.

Spot on with that post. Every player should be judged on individual merit. For example mctominay and Burke have chosen us from the start and have always wanted to play for only us. Some players are only there because there not good enough for England but there are guys who are willing to give it there all and are passionate about Scotland. Where you are born should not necessarily determine your nationality or how you feel.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nothing but you are kidding yourself on if you think the likes of Bardsley, Phillips, Commons or Richie gave a shit about Scotland in any shape or form until they were too shite to play for England and we represented a chance for them to play international football. Just so happens their grandparents came from there (or in Bardsley's case your dad was born there whilst on holiday!)

Grandparent rule is a load of nonsense and I make no apologies for wanting us to use it less. Scot's born to Scottish parents down south are different and I've no issues with that. My granddad was Italian, I'd have had zero interest in playing for Italy though if I was good enough.

maybe somebody would be proud to play for Italy if their grandparents were Italian.  I think going further back than that is not right as there has to be a cut off.  But grandparents, I see no problem with.  Some people have a close relationship with them.  Each to their own, in my view.

Root out the bardsleys, aye.  But the rules are fine as they are.  

We seem to love having divisions. I'm old enough to remember when the dichotomy was between home-based players and those who were termed 'Anglos' which merely meant those playing for an English club. It was (ludicrously) deemed that such anglos could not possibly have the same feeling for their country as those home-based players. Thus after every defeat you would get the cry for an "All Tartan team". Billy Bremner was often sacrificed for Bobby Murdoch, to take just one example. No prouder Scotsman strode the earth than Billy.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

We seem to love having divisions. I'm old enough to remember when the dichotomy was between home-based players and those who were termed 'Anglos' which merely meant those playing for an English club. It was (ludicrously) deemed that such anglos could not possibly have the same feeling for their country as those home-based players. Thus after every defeat you would get the cry for an "All Tartan team". Billy Bremner was often sacrificed for Bobby Murdoch, to take just one example. No prouder Scotsman strode the earth than Billy.

You're saying that as if Murdoch wasn't deserving of a place. He won a grand total of 12 caps which itself is a travesty but that was the SFA for you at that time and their "'selectors"  

3 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

The CV ones i would boot out too.  Hard to know when it's the case though.

Some are really easy to spot though. Some of them have even played for England at youth level. 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You're saying that as if Murdoch wasn't deserving of a place. He won a grand total of 12 caps which itself is a travesty but that was the SFA for you at that time and their "'selectors"  

God no. He was worthy of a place all right but they both played right half - bit like the Tierney-Robertson conundrum.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Yep. Bigoted bastards. 

On 9/11/2018 at 5:28 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

I think this may be the case for Richie and Phillips.

Phillips scored tonight and was apparently man of the match five days after missing our match against Albania. 

Odds on Ritchie starting against Arsenal tomorrow? To be fair I think he did miss Newcastle’s last match but he pulls out of our squads more than he turns up. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Phillips scored tonight and was apparently man of the match five days after missing our match against Albania. 

Odds on Ritchie starting against Arsenal tomorrow? To be fair I think he did miss Newcastle’s last match but he pulls out of our squads more than he turns up. 

Are you suggesting he couldnt have an injury that keeps him out for 7 to 10 days

3 hours ago, borojock said:

Are you suggesting he couldnt have an injury that keeps him out for 7 to 10 days

No, not at all. It is possible. 

How many people miss only one game/week for their clubs through injury though? It’s quite unusual. Most injuries that are bad enough for a player not to be selected for their club keeps them out for at least 2/3 weeks. 

Most injuries that make a player pull out of a Scotland squad seem to clear up the day after the match. 

Coincidence? In some cases, yes. In a lot of cases it will be the player and/or their club not wanting to take a risk on aggravating a very minor knock that they would play through for their club. 

On 9/14/2018 at 10:45 PM, Texas Pete said:

Ritchie wasn't called up. He didn't have a chance to pull out this time. 

Our energy and passion which brought us so many chances against Albania

Would it have been at the same level with a few English guys in there

They accept the call up and play for us to bring up their career profile

If we're at the business of raising profiles let's do it for guys like O'Donnell

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No, not at all. It is possible. 

How many people miss only one game/week for their clubs through injury though? It’s quite unusual. Most injuries that are bad enough for a player not to be selected for their club keeps them out for at least 2/3 weeks. 

Most injuries that make a player pull out of a Scotland squad seem to clear up the day after the match. 

Coincidence? In some cases, yes. In a lot of cases it will be the player and/or their club not wanting to take a risk on aggravating a very minor knock that they would play through for their club. 

What if Naismith had said I'm injured I've got an important hearts game coming up

Edited by Bino's

8 minutes ago, Bino's said:

What if Naismith had said I'm injured I've got an important hearts game coming up

I don’t think anyone has said they are injured and are pulling out because they’ve got an important club game coming up. 

People have definitely pulled out in the past when they haven’t been injured but I certainly don’t think this is the case with Phillips and McBurnie but I am sceptical as to whether their injuries would have made them miss club games last week if there hadn’t been an international break.

That’s not a slight on the players I might add. Club doctors will pull a player from international duty for the slightest knock. You can’t really blame them I suppose. Footballers are very expensive assets and their employers won’t risk them whilst playing for another team.

It’s also worth noting that Scotland will also send players with mild injuries back to their clubs as they don’t want to risk the injuries getting worse when they are with the national team. It wouldn’t be the first time a club has sued a football association for playing an injured player and making him worse.

Cairney definitely had an injury which would have stopped him playing. He didn’t play today. 

There are a good few born 'n' bred Scots who couldn't give a f*ck about Scotland... players and public.

I remember 2 guys stopping me in the Garage to say, 'Arrgghh! Ya lost tonight!'

This after I - born in Southampton - had travelled 450 miles to see a midweek friendly in Glasgow.

14 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

There are a good few born 'n' bred Scots who couldn't give a f*ck about Scotland... players and public.

I remember 2 guys stopping me in the Garage to say, 'Arrgghh! Ya lost tonight!'

This after I - born in Southampton - had travelled 450 miles to see a midweek friendly in Glasgow.

In certain sections of Glasgow aye

90 percent of the rest of the country is behind Scotland

Edited by Bino's

16 minutes ago, Bino's said:

That's why he wasn't called up

He plays week in week out for Newcastle

What other possible reason could there be

He’s been injured and hasn’t played for a couple of weeks. 

I’m not sure if McLeish didn’t select him and then got injured or if he was already injured and that’s why he didn’t get picked. 

I suppose McLeish just might not rate him.

8 hours ago, Bino's said:

Our energy and passion which brought us so many chances against Albania

Would it have been at the same level with a few English guys in there

They accept the call up and play for us to bring up their career profile

If we're at the business of raising profiles let's do it for guys like O'Donnell

Explain in what way playing for Scotland brings up a players profile. If it was England possibly but Scotland not a chance

I would love to hear how it brings their profile up and why how they would benefit from it - please explain