Albania Match Thread (10/09/2018) - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Albania Match Thread (10/09/2018)

Clyde1998

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

A lot of people (including some people on this board) still don’t realise last night’s game was a competitive match. 

This is a much bigger thing than I realised. I've read countless posts on social media and heard people talk about how these games are pointless and the tournament is a lot of crap.

2 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

and that will hopefully be the big difference we will see between McLeish and Strachan - in form Scottish Premiership and English based players being picked ahead of English Championship bench-warmers.........

and just to quote myself, does anyone find it grating to watch Strachan as a pundit on Sky? Maybe just me but I get really annoyed when he talks about how well Scottish Premiership players fared when he wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole when he was manager.......

Edited by Return of Yermaw

5 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

SOD - doesn't work out for a player at a club due to what could be a variety of reasons - tactics, homesickness, not rated by manager etc etc. Comes to a club where everything clicks and he flourishes. Called up to international squad and continues that fine form........

Unheard of. No other player has done that. if he fails at any previous club then he should be binned.

Let's see how he does against a decent side. He did well last night but I'm still to be convinced that he's the answer to the right-back option. 

4 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Plenty saying Albania were poor, ok they certainly weren't Belgium but they had already beaten Israel 1-0 on Friday and I would like to think they looked honking last night mainly due to us being good.. From the first whistle we played with a very high tempo, got "intae them" as we used to do in the past and rattled them. Seemed to be late in the first half and in bits of the second before they settled. When they did have little phases they passed the ball well and created a couple of decent chances. Overall though we were the dominant side and we imposed our game on them. Also lets not forget, based on rankings etc, we are playing teams of our own level in the NL. The fact that we were able to dominate one is more credit to us, we weren't playing a Faroes or Andorra tonight, we were playing a nation who has been at a major tourney more recently than us.

Shocked me when flicking through the match programme at half time to discover that almost their entire back line are regulars in Serie A (their keeper was goalkeeper of the year in Italy last season, yet seemed to fumble at everything last night) and for a pretty good looking defense on paper, you would think they never played together (and yet, probably got the best part of 150 caps between them all).

Their form over the last year and a half has been bad, but I did not think they were going to be as bad as they were last night.

11 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

SOD - doesn't work out for a player at a club due to what could be a variety of reasons - tactics, homesickness, not rated by manager etc etc. Comes to a club where everything clicks and he flourishes. Called up to international squad and continues that fine form........

Unheard of. No other player has done that. if he fails at any previous club then he should be binned.

Bang on the money, countless examples of it in the past.

It was a good performance but we lacked that bit of composure in the final third. I like Callum McGregor but he was far too fussy on the ball last night. An in form Gauld could put his place under threat, or even Barrie McKay. They both have a lot of work to do but some competition is required. We need someone to split the defence with a first time pass. 

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Just give up, you're making tit of yourself.

If he was playing for some shite like Preston you'd be all over him getting a call up.

He wouldn't get a game from Preston and their right-back is rotten.

If he played for someone like Preston, or anyone other than Killie, you wouldn't be defending him. 

He did well last night. I'm leaving it there. 

I'm a bit surprised that Souttar hasn't had more praise on here for last night's performance. Maybe the surprise is that i didn't think he could be quite so decent!  I thought he looked good throughout.  Won most of his headers, good on the deck, quick and composed.  Was unlucky to get booked.  Him and McKenna could be a good pairing (or two of three). 

Just now, SMcoolJ said:

I'm a bit surprised that Souttar hasn't had more praise on here for last night's performance. Maybe the surprise is that i didn't think he could be quite so decent!  I thought he looked good throughout.  Won most of his headers, good on the deck, quick and composed.  Was unlucky to get booked.  Him and McKenna could be a good pairing (or two of three). 

agreed, a very accomplished display. It won’t have gone unnoticed. 

26 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I like Callum McGregor but he was far too fussy on the ball last night. An in form Gauld could put his place under threat

:blink: and the chances of that happening?

I think McGregor offers us a lot and would keep him as a starter but I'd also like to see what Fraser would do playing in that position.

36 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Spot on. I noticed an earlier post claiming Mulgrew is more of a ball-playing CB, but I would say that Souttar was just as good, if not better (am sure he has played as a defensive midfielder in the past) . Add to that the massive improvement in his overall defending over the last season or two, it’s looking a lot rosier in that position.

Even against Belgium he never looked out of place. 

Edited by SWMM82

49 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

and just to quote myself, does anyone find it grating to watch Strachan as a pundit on Sky? Maybe just me but I get really annoyed when he talks about how well Scottish Premiership players fared when he wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole when he was manager.......

Couldn't agree more.

42 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He wouldn't get a game from Preston and their right-back is rotten.

If he played for someone like Preston, or anyone other than Killie, you wouldn't be defending him. 

He did well last night. I'm leaving it there. 

Why do I have to defend him? He played well, most folk with common sense can see that.

Except folk like you who like nothing better than to talk down the Scottish game at any given chance (unless they play for Celtic)

I've defended plenty of Scottish based players in the past, just so happens this one plays for the team I support.

Maybe your upset as the team was full of actual Scot's and not mercenaries from shite teams in England there to boost their CV.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Why do I have to defend him? He played well, most folk with common sense can see that.

Except folk like you who like nothing better than to talk down the Scottish game at any given chance (unless they play for Celtic)

I've defended plenty of Scottish based players in the past, just so happens this one plays for the team I support.

Maybe your upset as the team was full of actual Scot's and not mercenaries from shite teams in England there to boost their CV.

And like I said earlier - David Healey is Northern Ireland's record goalscorer yet never nailed down a place at a top flight club for any great length of time in his career. Evidence that it is what you do in international football that counts.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And like I said earlier - David Healey is Northern Ireland's record goalscorer yet never nailed down a place at a top flight club for any great length of time in his career. Evidence that it is what you do in international football that counts.

Correct, difference is that SOD has been immense for over a year now at club level and is first name on the teamsheet for killie.

A lot can be taken from last night. Of course an important win and three points and unearthing players that have shown they can cut it at international level such as O'Donnell and Soutter. It also showed we can tinker with the side and call on the likes of Naismith and Russell and they can still do a job for us. Most importantly it was a much-needed confidence booster to steady a rocking ship and gives a platform to build for the future as we have a lot of young and inexperienced players coming through into the side now with more on the horizon.

55 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

and just to quote myself, does anyone find it grating to watch Strachan as a pundit on Sky? 

He’s like David Davis MP. Was in charge of his nation’s endeavours but now takes payment for opining from the sidelines about something he could have influenced if only the dastardly European opposition weren’t so hostile, better-organised and more talented than him and his employers.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Correct, difference is that SOD has been immense for over a year now at club level and is first name on the teamsheet for killie.

Of course. Mightily impressed with him last night. Composed on the ball, used it well, tackled well and even got some decent crosses into the box and had great pitch coverage.

8 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

C'mon...He struggled to get a game for Luton in League 2. He's not done much wrong but he is benefiting from our lack of options at right-back. I'm not sure who would be our next choice if you don't count Hutton and Bardsley...maybe Ralston? Graham Alexander? 

I would suggest Jack Grimmer, forgotten man but excellent for  Coventry these days. Sure he will move up the leagues soon. Also Donald Love, Sunderland?

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would suggest Jack Grimmer, forgotten man but excellent for  Coventry these days. Sure he will move up the leagues soon. Also Donald Love, Sunderland?

It's a pretty depressing list. It's probably our weakest position at the moment.