Albania Match Thread (10/09/2018) - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Albania Match Thread (10/09/2018)

Clyde1998

34 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

A bit like our football team has been over the years. Getting players from our most bitter rivals to play for us.

I’m not sure what you’re point is PS 

All I said was the rugby lads sing the anthem with more passion. 

Being a follower of both nationals side I think the rugby team shows more pride and passion for the country than the footballers do. That could be down to a number of factors, we haven’t had much of a feel good factor in football for more than ten years although for a while the rugby team was battling for a wooden spoon every year. 

Genuine question but does the singing the anthem mean anything at all  - personally i used to think it did and thought all players should have their arms around their team mates belting the anthem out - ala Brazil style - however i've heard a few ex international footballers ,Gary Neville i think was one, talking about singing the anthem and saying he found it more beneficial staying in the focus zone rather then singing 

I think its more important that the fans belt the anthem out rather then the fans it sets the tempo for the players and lets the opposition know they are going to be up against a passionate and loud crowd 

6 minutes ago, borojock said:

Genuine question but does the singing the anthem mean anything at all  - personally i used to think it did and thought all players should have their arms around their team mates belting the anthem out - ala Brazil style - however i've heard a few ex international footballers ,Gary Neville i think was one, talking about singing the anthem and saying he found it more beneficial staying in the focus zone rather then singing 

I think its more important that the fans belt the anthem out rather then the fans it sets the tempo for the players and lets the opposition know they are going to be up against a passionate and loud crowd 

It is not a prerequisite that every player sings the national anthem. I would sooner they put in a great display on the pitch than them boom out the national anthem. And it depends on the individual. Some see it as a needless outpouring of emotions and mental energy before a ball has been kicked. 

Each player should be able to prepare best in their own way. If that means listening and soaking up the atmosphere rather than putting on a display of singing, then fine.

As someone said, being vocal on the park (Naismith) is what matters. 

It's the same with joining arms etc, it's (just) a show of togetherness, what's most important is teamwork on the pitch.  

Edited by exile

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

The problem is the national anthem is a joke now. I'm not sure how 55% of the national can sing it with a straight face. 

I disagree. It is the national anthem whether it is liked or not. I am there to watch Scotland win and players perform to the best of their ability once the first whistle blows. I never knew they were also auditioning for Eurovision or some other musical contest. I would sooner have a player that doesn't sing and puts in a great performance on the pitch than one that belts the anthem out like Pavarotti and plays a stinker in the match.

31 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I disagree. It is the national anthem whether it is liked or not. I am there to watch Scotland win and players perform to the best of their ability once the first whistle blows. I never knew they were also auditioning for Eurovision or some other musical contest. I would sooner have a player that doesn't sing and puts in a great performance on the pitch than one that belts the anthem out like Pavarotti and plays a stinker in the match.

We would all rather have that but it doesn’t have to one or the other.

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Point is it matters not one jot to the end result of a match if a player sings the national anthem or not. 

Agreed, I was merely saying I kind of got where Kirk is coming from. It would be nice to see our players show the same passion we do in the stands but as I’ve said before I often think some of our players don’t care that much for the National side

49 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Agreed, I was merely saying I kind of got where Kirk is coming from. It would be nice to see our players show the same passion we do in the stands but as I’ve said before I often think some of our players don’t care that much for the National side

Lets not judge someone on their love for their country on whether they sing or not and on how loud they sing.

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In any case how come we qualified more regularly when we had Scotland the Brave as the anthem which had no lyrics. People on here would be seething at that. No way of slating players for not singing then. 

There are lyrics to Scotland the Brave it’s just that nobody knows what they are!

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I know that. But those players did not sing them. Heck we had a whole teamful of non-singers and yet we qualified for tournaments. Kind of proves my point.

We also qualified when our anthem was God Save the Queen. 

I wonder how many of the people who are saying they would prefer the players to sing the anthem passionately would still think that if we still had that piece of nonsense as our national anthem. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lots of evidence suggest singing anthems means jack. I watched anthems for the Scotland V Morocco match at the 1998 World Cup Finals. The two players who didn't sing would go on to be amongst the most capped and best remembered - their names were Jim Leighton and John Collins. 

Every single player in that game was pish whether they sang or not. From what I remember of it anyway. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

There are lyrics to Scotland the Brave it’s just that nobody knows what they are!

We learned in school it was "here comes the Highland granny, two big tits and a hairy fanny". 

Although I accept that there's a chance that may not be the official version.

22 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

We learned in school it was "here comes the Highland granny, two big tits and a hairy fanny". 

Although I accept that there's a chance that may not be the official version.

I remember it well. 

They should make Scotland the Brave our anthem again with the highland granny lyrics. We’d win the World Cup within 4 years.