Albania Match Thread (10/09/2018) - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Albania Match Thread (10/09/2018)

Clyde1998

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

any right back we've had in recent seasons has been shite against side like albania, I include the post 2012 Alan Hutton in that too, its refreshing to see someone so confident and willing to get forward but also take care of his defensive duties. There is absolutely nothing negative about SODs performance.

Think everyone can see that about from the obvious.

9 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Plenty saying Albania were poor, ok they certainly weren't Belgium but they had already beaten Israel 1-0 on Friday and I would like to think they looked honking last night mainly due to us being good.. From the first whistle we played with a very high tempo, got "intae them" as we used to do in the past and rattled them. Seemed to be late in the first half and in bits of the second before they settled. When they did have little phases they passed the ball well and created a couple of decent chances. Overall though we were the dominant side and we imposed our game on them. Also lets not forget, based on rankings etc, we are playing teams of our own level in the NL. The fact that we were able to dominate one is more credit to us, we weren't playing a Faroes or Andorra tonight, we were playing a nation who has been at a major tourney more recently than us.

No real failures from what I could see, everyone did their jobs. We created a decent number of chances and on another night, with a pass a few feet either side of where they were played, with a bit more clinical finishing, we would have had the game done by HT.

Thought we looked better in the second half with Armstrong on, midfield 3 very fluid and linked and passed well. A few comments about McGinn, yes a couple of poor passes but his energy and drive and just strength to get his body between man and ball made him very noticeable for me. Credit to McLeish, thought Naismith had a very effective game too, set the tempo with his usual harassment of their back 4, something that I thought was gone from his game nowadays.

Overall, came away from Hampden with any moans or niggles for the first time in a while. 

That's pretty much how I saw it. I think we have the makings of a decent team here. We need a good striker though. Naismith had a good game last night but he's not the long term or even medium term answer.

19 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

C'mon...He struggled to get a game for Luton in League 2. He's not done much wrong but he is benefiting from our lack of options at right-back. I'm not sure who would be our next choice if you don't count Hutton and Bardsley...maybe Ralston? Graham Alexander? 

I know you dont watch much Scottish football, apart from hail hail games, but Ralston FFS, that boy is absolutely shite.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Think everyone can see that about from the obvious.

Hats off Humper,  you called this right.   I'm obviously not alone in thinking your shout for SOD was through club-tinted spectacles, but the boy dun good.   Good for the manager too;  to say to him... you are our right back, go out there and play your game.

He may or may not yet be a world beater, but league C out of D is where we are at.   Some of the guys are still making mistakes, but at this level, we're less likely to suffer for it.   McGinn's been mentioned, but I just loved the good old fashioned fire in the belly.   Hope we can lose one and keep the other as the lads progress.

Last night we dominated as most have said, but got I a bit of a start whet I got home and saw on the highlights how many chances Albania had.   They were not good enough to capitalise, but that's where we both are right now.   And I mean both.   Albania have three points too and one bad game from us pulls them back into it.

3 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

He's a footballer, not an X factor contestant.

He also had a very good game last night. That's all that matters to me.

Good yin 👏👏👏

Wee bit of national pride goes a long way

1 minute ago, Kirk said:

Good yin 👏👏👏

Aye you're right, if he had sang along he would have played even better. Probably have scored a couple of goals too.

And national pride? But rich coming from someone who didn't bother going to the game and sat on here slagging one of our players instead.

15 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Aye you're right, if he had sang along he would have played even better. Probably have scored a couple of goals too.

And national pride? But rich coming from someone who didn't bother going to the game and sat on here slagging one of our players instead.

I didn't say it would make him play any better.

Sorry I missed a game, my blind loyalty has faded and my wallet has shrunk after years of failure

1 minute ago, SWMM82 said:

On a side note.....did anyone at the match notice how vocal Naismith was?!! Love or hate him, it can’t be underestimated how important it is to have someone in the team like that. Kept everyone on their toes all night!

Yeah noticed watching he was telling folk to move and push up etc

1 minute ago, Kirk said:

I didn't say it would make him play any better.

Sorry I missed a game, my blind loyalty has faded and my wallet has shrunk after years of failure

Couldn't care less that you missed a game.

I just don't think you should be accusing our players of not having national pride, for simply not singing, when you didn't bother going yourself.

23 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I just don't think you should be accusing our players of not having national pride, for simply not singing, when you didn't bother going yourself.

You've just mentioned me missing a game twice though. 

The guy is representing his country, the least he could do would be to sing the fucking anthem like the rest of them.

15 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

National pride would have fixed that for you.

Id be loaded if it helped my wallet 😂

31 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Exactly.:ok:

,These players are there to play football, not sing songs. It's the job of the folk in the crowd to sing songs (if they want to). The folk that can be bothered to turn up, that is.

5 hours ago, Kirk said:

You've just mentioned me missing a game twice though. 

The guy is representing his country, the least he could do would be to sing the fucking anthem like the rest of them.

Id be loaded if it helped my wallet 😂

We'll agree to disagree then.

You like your footballers to be singers and I like mine to be footballers who play well for Scotland. Each to their own :ok:

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

We'll agree to disagree then.

You like your footballers to be singers and I like mine to be footballers who play well for Scotland. Each to their own :ok:

Why can't they be both, everyone else managed except him, or is he more a Soldier Song kinda guy?

On 9/11/2018 at 11:05 AM, ONeils4oyarder said:

While not my motm, the performance I was most pleased with was Souttar. Centre-back is a real problem position for us, but the emergence of this lad and McKenna could be the answer to our prayers.

On the right-back debate, Richard Tait at my team Motherwell, is probably the most consistent player in our team...he has a funny accent and spent most of his career down South, so I'd expect the SFA to absolutely love him

Tait? Dear God have a word with yourself. He’s nowhere near good enough. Plus he’s a Yetholm hind.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, Kirk said:

Good yin 👏👏👏

Honestly, how many times do people like you have to be told, there is no direct correlation between players singing a national anthem and their performance, it's ukip level of thinking btw, it's embarrassing. Tierney was excellent the other night as his intelligence, ability, understanding and reading of the game are all more important than national pride, which btw doesn't go a long way towards anything.

The Italians sing their national anthem with passion and gusto everytime they play and they didn't qualify for the world cup, how do you explain that?

19 minutes ago, Mox said:

The Italians sing their national anthem with passion and gusto everytime they play and they didn't qualify for the world cup, how do you explain that?

They need to practice their singing more. They are not nearly as good at singing as they used to be.

Bring back Pavarotti, that's what I say.