EURO 2020 Qualifying - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2020 Qualifying

romanticscot

So by now we all know that the UEFA Nations league has a play off spot should we need it by winning our group, but I just learned that this tournament is going to be used for seeing for the qualifying group draw - does anyone know how that is going to work?

I have just been following the current standings of all of the leagues - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying#Qualifying_group_stage

And read this

The qualifying group stage draw will be held on 2 December 2018 at the Convention Centre Dublin in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.[11] The 55 teams will be drawn into 10 groups (five groups of five teams and five groups of six teams).

The teams will be seeded based on the 2018–19 UEFA Nations League overall ranking. The four participants of the 2019 UEFA Nations League Finals are guaranteed to be drawn into groups of five teams.[1] Matches will take place from 21 March to 19 November 2019.

If we finish top or one of the best 2 second placed teams we will be in pot 3. If we are one of the worst 2 second placed teams or finish third we will be in pot 4.

These next 4 games are massive. As important as any over the last few years.

We are playing for promotion to league B, a Euro 2020 play-off place AND our pot in main Euro 2020 qualifying. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

If we finish top or one of the best 2 second placed teams we will be in pot 3. If we are one of the worst 2 second placed teams or finish third we will be in pot 4.

These next 4 games are massive. As important as any over the last few years.

We are playing for promotion to league B, a Euro 2020 play-off place AND our pot in main Euro 2020 qualifying. 

This could be huge. 

If we are promoted to League B and manage to stay there after Nations League    2020 we will almost be guaranteed a playoff for Euro 2024. Assuming UEFA don’t change the rules after the first one. 

28 minutes ago, McDange said:

With Albania coming in on the back of a win, anything other than 3 points tomorrow is a disaster. Hopefully a better support and atmosphere than Friday given the importance 

Can’t see the crowd being much bigger to be honest. 

Hopefully the atmosphere will be better though. An early Scotland goal would help. 

So I have been doing more reading, EURO 2020 qualifying - 10 groups of 5 and 5 groups of 6- 55 nations in total competing for 24 spots.  If we end the Nations league within the top 6 League C teams in terms of comparative ranking we will be draw in pot 3 or 3rd seed in our qualifying group.  If we top our group then we are a cert to be in pot 3 - if we finish 2nd, we still have a chance if we are ranked first or 2nd out of the 2nd place teams in League C.

Obviously we want to win our league and I believe we are can do that, then when they draw the proper EURO 2020 qualifying groups we have a chance to seal automatic qualification by ending up in the top 2.  Not sure how the World Cup qualifiers will be but nothing else matters in the EURO qualifiers in terms of scope for EURO 2020 than ending in the top 2, so surely we have to be more assertive, especially if we have a play off berth in the bag - if those games implode, then we could change our manager and having a play off spot to play in then it makes the job the more attractive to potential candidates.  

Just looked at the World Cup 2022 qualification conditions are as of yet they are unannounced - expect change.

These next 4 games(ignoring Portugal) over the next 10 weeks are hugely important - no pressure Eck, but this is why you wanted the job, now please make it happen, you have it within your hands to orchestrate something that previous 8(including yourself) Managers have failed to do - get us to a major tournament play-off; not since Berti Vogts in 2003, and then you can achieve something that the last 10 major tournament campaigns have failed to produce and that is actually qualify.

Come on Scotland, lets start with 3 points tomorrow.

This is confusing and I'm not 100% clued up on how it works... Problem is I'm also not 100% confident that the SFA have bothered to figure it all out either.

It should be pretty straightforward though... Every game's winnable, and we should be looking to win every game whether home or away. Let's stop settling for draws when it only ends up being 2 points lost.

6 hours ago, COLT NY said:

This is confusing and I'm not 100% clued up on how it works... Problem is I'm also not 100% confident that the SFA have bothered to figure it all out either.

It should be pretty straightforward though... Every game's winnable, and we should be looking to win every game whether home or away. Let's stop settling for draws when it only ends up being 2 points lost.

I think the only thing the SFA need to know is this is a massive game and we need to win the next 4 games - i'd like to think they are taking it seriously it would have maybe worth someone coming out from SFA or management and just dropping a little line acknowledging the importance, maybe have got bigger crowds for games as im sure some fans dont appreciate its importance  

8 hours ago, romanticscot said:

So I have been doing more reading, EURO 2020 qualifying - 10 groups of 5 and 5 groups of 6- 55 nations in total competing for 24 spots.  If we end the Nations league within the top 6 League C teams in terms of comparative ranking we will be draw in pot 3 or 3rd seed in our qualifying group.  If we top our group then we are a cert to be in pot 3 - if we finish 2nd, we still have a chance if we are ranked first or 2nd out of the 2nd place teams in League C.

Obviously we want to win our league and I believe we are can do that, then when they draw the proper EURO 2020 qualifying groups we have a chance to seal automatic qualification by ending up in the top 2.  Not sure how the World Cup qualifiers will be but nothing else matters in the EURO qualifiers in terms of scope for EURO 2020 than ending in the top 2, so surely we have to be more assertive, especially if we have a play off berth in the bag - if those games implode, then we could change our manager and having a play off spot to play in then it makes the job the more attractive to potential candidates.  

Just looked at the World Cup 2022 qualification conditions are as of yet they are unannounced - expect change.

These next 4 games(ignoring Portugal) over the next 10 weeks are hugely important - no pressure Eck, but this is why you wanted the job, now please make it happen, you have it within your hands to orchestrate something that previous 8(including yourself) Managers have failed to do - get us to a major tournament play-off; not since Berti Vogts in 2003, and then you can achieve something that the last 10 major tournament campaigns have failed to produce and that is actually qualify.

Come on Scotland, lets start with 3 points tomorrow.

The bit I've highlighted is the bit I haven't managed to find yet, although I haven't looked for a while. I haven't seen the rules for doing this "comparative ranking".

I am guessing it must come down to GD and goals scored in the end, because lots of teams will end up on the same number of points. I wouldn't be surprised if away points and away goals are weighted higher than home ones? But I haven't managed to find anything written down. 

There is also the complication that we are in a 3 team group and the other teams in League C are in 4 team groups. I don't know how they have decided to resolve that.

If we are ever lucky enough to be in the position where we are comfortably winning any game (I know that's probably unlikely) we need to go for more goals just in case they become important later on.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The bit I've highlighted is the bit I haven't managed to find yet, although I haven't looked for a while. I haven't seen the rules for doing this "comparative ranking".

I am guessing it must come down to GD and goals scored in the end, because lots of teams will end up on the same number of points. I wouldn't be surprised if away points and away goals are weighted higher than home ones? But I haven't managed to find anything written down. 

There is also the complication that we are in a 3 team group and the other teams in League C are in 4 team groups. I don't know how they have decided to resolve that.

If we are ever lucky enough to be in the position where we are comfortably winning any game (I know that's probably unlikely) we need to go for more goals just in case they become important later on.

There are ten groups, so the first ten 10 will be seeded 1/pot 1, 11-20 will be seeded 2/pot 2 and 21-30 will be pot 3/seeded 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League_C#Overall_ranking

Look at the references cited at the bottom of the article for more info.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

As far as I can remember, If we win our group we will be ranked in the top 4 in League C. If we’re second, we will be ranked between 5th and 8h and so on.

For example, Serbia are currently ranked 4th in League C but they only have 1 point. They are top of their group so are above Norway who have 3 points but are not top of their group.

The actual ranking will be decided by points, GD, goals scored etc between the group winners and second placed teams in much the same way the best runners up table was decided in the last World Cup qualifiers. 

I am not sure how it works between groups of 3 and 4 but to be honest it doesn’t really matter. If we finish bottom we will not get a playoff, will be relegated to League D and will be in pot 4 for the qualifiers regardless of where we are ranked so our overall ranking won’t matter.  

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

As far as I can remember, If we win our group we will be ranked in the top 4 in League C. If we’re second, we will be ranked between 5th and 8h and so on.

For example, Serbia are currently ranked 4th in League C but they only have 1 point. They are top of their group so are above Norway who have 3 points but are not top of their group.

The actual ranking will be decided by points, GD, goals scored etc between the group winners and second placed teams in much the same way the best runners up table was decided in the last World Cup qualifiers. 

I am not sure how it works between groups of 3 and 4 but to be honest it doesn’t really matter. If we finish bottom we will not get a playoff, will be relegated to League D and will be in pot 4 for the qualifiers regardless of where we are ranked so our overall ranking won’t matter.  

Results against the 4th placed teams will be discounted when deciding the rankings of teams placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd within our respective groups.

Also, if we finish bottom of our group we won't necessarily be relegated to League D. This is due to us being in the group of 3, as only the worst placed 3rd team from each respective group would go down.

5 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Results against the 4th placed teams will be discounted when deciding the rankings of teams placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd within our respective groups.

Also, if we finish bottom of our group we won't necessarily be relegated to League D. This is due to us being in the group of 3, as only the worst placed 3rd team from each respective group would go down.

Yeah I vaguely remember that. Relegation is largely irrelevant for us though apart from the embarrassment.

If we finish third we will be in pot D and will not be in the playoffs which will be a disaster. 

On 9/10/2018 at 1:08 PM, romanticscot said:

There are ten groups, so the first ten 10 will be seeded 1/pot 1, 11-20 will be seeded 2/pot 2 and 21-30 will be pot 3/seeded 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League_C#Overall_ranking

Look at the references cited at the bottom of the article for more info.

Cheers. That's exactly what I was looking for. :ok: