NFL Thread 2018/2019 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

NFL Thread 2018/2019

Bristolhibby

First game is under our belt. Eagles ground out their first win. 

First full weekend of Football tonight. 49ers at Vikings. Was impressed by the Vikings last season (as well as their stadium).

Anyone going to the London games this season?

I’m going to the Titans v Chargers and the Eagles v Jaguars. I had a break from Wembley last season so am looking forward to going back. 

J

Edited by Bristolhibby
Missed ?

Not really an NFL man, but I'm going to the Rams Vs Vikings in a couple of weeks so I've been trying to get an idea of what I'm going to watch and do my best to understand it. Anyone know if any decent podcasts that might be useful for me to listen to that are easy to follow?

20 minutes ago, Mox said:

Not really an NFL man, but I'm going to the Rams Vs Vikings in a couple of weeks so I've been trying to get an idea of what I'm going to watch and do my best to understand it. Anyone know if any decent podcasts that might be useful for me to listen to that are easy to follow?

Around the NFL podcast is really good. The guys presenting have a wealth of knowledge and have a bit of a craic on the podcast. 

J

For me the NFL season doesnt start till tonight but from what i witnessed yesterday teams are more clued up on the rookies that have made an impression the last two seasons and it's the old guard still shining through - Brees, Luck, Brady, Newton, Smith, Rodgers, Dalton et al

Hoping this will be an exception

DmL8K0HXsAED4wT.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo

Yet another frustrating loss for The Giants, and yet another season effectively over before it's began...

I've been saying this for 3 years now, but forget scoring 30 points in a game, if the Giants can get that O Line to be semi effective, and sort out the "Vanilla" play calling, they have the offensive weapons to, and will, take 50+ points off a team..

Sadly, I'm already accepting this is a season write off and start building for the future ....At the Draft I was all for taking Barkley, and still think it was the right move, but always had the caveat in my mind, if we were below .5000 after say 6, maybe 8 games it was time to permanently bench Eli and start looking for the future....If we can't get an O lIne which will buy him more time, we need a more mobile QB it's that straightforward - Doesn't need to be a superstar, just mobile, a good game Manager and whom doesn't turn the ball over --- There is someone out there, sitting on another teams bench, or maybe even undrafted, who would fit the bill and would be available for a couple of fringe players and / or draft picks next year

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Rams Vs Vikings, was a real lesson in how odd American sports is, such an strange set up. Been to Basketball in New York before and Portland Timbers last week and it's all very sanitised.

However, that tonight was thoroughly enjoyable, guy I was sat next to said it was one of the best games he's seen in a number of years and it come across as such. 

Quick question though for the heads in here, the quarterback seems to take all the plaudits bit the people he is throwing to, who are essentially wingers, do all the hard work in terms of movement, pace and intelligence, why does the quarterback take all the plaudits? They seem to be the playmakers and the wingers are the finishers and yet the disparity between the two is insane in terms of recognition.

Edited by Mox

Ok, so there's no straightforward, or right or wrong answer, but, in my opinion, QB in The NFL is the hardest position to play in any sport -- The are other sports where you maybe need to be better at one thing eg Boxing for "taking a shot", Tour de France cycling for overall fitness - But for me there is no other sport, nor position where you have to be absolutely top notch at EVERYTHING - In no order, and not exclusively, A QB must have athleticism, agility, calmness under pressure, intelligence - both "sporting" and actual academic - Have you seen an NFL Playbook, how complex these are ? Some teams have different Playbooks every week, all of which must been learned perfectly, Leadership, Toughness - Did you see the hits these guys take ?

Specifically within the game, if we look at the example you give - WR's need to have the ability to know the play, be where they should be when they should ( Run the Routes correctly) if plays goes according to plan, or "get open" ( Away from their marker, in football terms) if play starts to fall apart and QB has to improvise, occasionally block, and above all catch a ball and run.....None of this is easy, and these guys are all superb hard working athetes, but compared to a QB ?

Again in no order, on every play, he has to correctly advise the rest of the offence the correct play that has been called, and usually a secondary option, whilst setting himself he has to be reading the defence, deciding are they going to blitz, drop into coverage, run defence, pass defence..Does he make changes to the play - Does he stick with the play ? Or use his "kill" word to change to the secondary ? All the while the opposition's middle linebacker is watching the QB / Offence calling his own changes, so the Qb reacts to that, and the MLB reacts to the QB reacting - BTW QB the play clock is at 3 seconds you need to decide what you're doing, get ready to start the play, of sh** are all my players ready, 2 seconds, should I change? 1 seconds...Oh oh two of their secondary ( Back players) have moved up to overload the line do we have enough blockers -- No time HIKE ....

And the play starts - 1st the Qb has to secure the ball and get into position to pass, hoping his O line will buy him enough time to do that, will his line pick up all the pass rushers, or will he have to move around, who's got my back - right is my primary reciever open / No, where's my  2nd choice, he looks open, but where's the linebacker...what ways is that cornerback going to move, right choose reciever, anticipate where he will be in x seconds, realease..... OOH YA a 20 stone defensive end as just went right into my back and flattened me right on the turf, boy did that hurt...

"And the Receiver has just made and eye catching 13 yard reception" First down, he trots back to the line of scrimmage...

The QB ? He gets up, dusts himself down and starts all over again....

Oh, and did we mention "Clock management" ? 😉 

And that, Mox, is why the QB's tend to get all the plaudits - Glad you enjoyed the game, watched the highlights this morning - Enjoyed it, Rams looking good this year

On 9/29/2018 at 7:14 PM, Robbo `81 said:

Ok, so there's no straightforward, or right or wrong answer, but, in my opinion, QB in The NFL is the hardest position to play in any sport -- The are other sports where you maybe need to be better at one thing eg Boxing for "taking a shot", Tour de France cycling for overall fitness - But for me there is no other sport, nor position where you have to be absolutely top notch at EVERYTHING - In no order, and not exclusively, A QB must have athleticism, agility, calmness under pressure, intelligence - both "sporting" and actual academic - Have you seen an NFL Playbook, how complex these are ? Some teams have different Playbooks every week, all of which must been learned perfectly, Leadership, Toughness - Did you see the hits these guys take ?

Specifically within the game, if we look at the example you give - WR's need to have the ability to know the play, be where they should be when they should ( Run the Routes correctly) if plays goes according to plan, or "get open" ( Away from their marker, in football terms) if play starts to fall apart and QB has to improvise, occasionally block, and above all catch a ball and run.....None of this is easy, and these guys are all superb hard working athetes, but compared to a QB ?

Again in no order, on every play, he has to correctly advise the rest of the offence the correct play that has been called, and usually a secondary option, whilst setting himself he has to be reading the defence, deciding are they going to blitz, drop into coverage, run defence, pass defence..Does he make changes to the play - Does he stick with the play ? Or use his "kill" word to change to the secondary ? All the while the opposition's middle linebacker is watching the QB / Offence calling his own changes, so the Qb reacts to that, and the MLB reacts to the QB reacting - BTW QB the play clock is at 3 seconds you need to decide what you're doing, get ready to start the play, of sh** are all my players ready, 2 seconds, should I change? 1 seconds...Oh oh two of their secondary ( Back players) have moved up to overload the line do we have enough blockers -- No time HIKE ....

And the play starts - 1st the Qb has to secure the ball and get into position to pass, hoping his O line will buy him enough time to do that, will his line pick up all the pass rushers, or will he have to move around, who's got my back - right is my primary reciever open / No, where's my  2nd choice, he looks open, but where's the linebacker...what ways is that cornerback going to move, right choose reciever, anticipate where he will be in x seconds, realease..... OOH YA a 20 stone defensive end as just went right into my back and flattened me right on the turf, boy did that hurt...

"And the Receiver has just made and eye catching 13 yard reception" First down, he trots back to the line of scrimmage...

The QB ? He gets up, dusts himself down and starts all over again....

Oh, and did we mention "Clock management" ? 😉 

And that, Mox, is why the QB's tend to get all the plaudits - Glad you enjoyed the game, watched the highlights this morning - Enjoyed it, Rams looking good this year

Cheers my man, a great explanation.

The NFL was founded in 1920, making it 98 years old, in it's history there have been 19 successful Field Goals over 60 yards long, the longest being 64 yards.

Therefore, on average, approx 2 per DECADE...

Last year, the Giants lost to a 61 yard last second FG to the Eagles

Last night, Giants lost to a 63 yard, last second, FG against the Panthers - Meaning we lost to something that is almost literally impossible to do - The Coach, in theory, "shouldn't" have even called that play, a hail mary shot at the end zone was probably the statistical "right" call...

Give me strength !!  

And, btw, I couldn't care less that he comes from Arbroath .......

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, Mox said:

Went to Rams Vs Vikings, was a real lesson in how odd American sports is, such an strange set up. Been to Basketball in New York before and Portland Timbers last week and it's all very sanitised.

However, that tonight was thoroughly enjoyable, guy I was sat next to said it was one of the best games he's seen in a number of years and it come across as such. 

Quick question though for the heads in here, the quarterback seems to take all the plaudits bit the people he is throwing to, who are essentially wingers, do all the hard work in terms of movement, pace and intelligence, why does the quarterback take all the plaudits? They seem to be the playmakers and the wingers are the finishers and yet the disparity between the two is insane in terms of recognition.

The brain of a QB is akin to a computer that has to calculate dozens of different permutations, literally within seconds, before they're sacked. Not only do they calculate but they also have to have the ability to navigate themselves perfectly and know just how much distance that they must put in their pass. If you saw Brady in the previous Sunday night football or Rodgers in Monday night football, both of won their matches through losing positions, literally in the dying seconds, you'd realize why they get the adulation.

Those two are extraordinary.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Never thought id see the day but this the second week ive watched the NFL and i am thoroughly enjoying it.

Clearly not a Jets fan .....

Unless you realise we have tons of cap space and will be giving Darnold plenty weapons in the off season

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Clearly not a Jets fan .....

Unless you realise we have tons of cap space and will be giving Darnold plenty weapons in the off season

What's your feeling on drafting Darnold now ? When I say that what I mean is , The Giants took a bit of criticism for drafting Barkley and "leaving" Darnold to The Jets - Would you rather, in hindsight, we'd taken Darnold or do you see him as a Franchise QB ?

I have no particular opinion on Darnold, but was, and am still, happy with Barkley...It's been a bad one for The Giants again this year, but Barkley has been the shining light, and if, somehow, The Giants can sort the O-Line and / or find a mobile QB in the next week you never know.... With the NFC East being pretty poor overall this year if The Giants win next 2, Atlanta tonight and Washington on Sunday they'd be "right back in it" for the Divisional title - crazy as it seems!!

TBH I doubt they will win both so the process of replacing Eli should start in earnest now - Either hope Lualetta, under Eli's guidance, turns out a good QB or Darft a decent, mobile QB and hopefully the offence can do something next year

Edited by Robbo `81

31 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

What's your feeling on drafting Darnold now ? When I say that what I mean is , The Giants took a bit of criticism for drafting Barkley and "leaving" Darnold to The Jets - Would you rather, in hindsight, we'd taken Darnold or do you see him as a Franchise QB ?

Every sign so far is that as far as rookie QBs go he is the real deal

Every week he is learning and developing and it may be a blessing for the long term that there is a dearth of offensive talent for him to operate with

In some snaps yesterday we were playing with four tight ends FFS

Losing Enunwa, Powell and then Pryor made a bad situation worse

However as i said it's all about the future and we have tons of cap space and good draft picks to build around him

Getting a franchise QB is the hardest part of the NFL ,and not withstanding how good Barkley is, running backs come and go so the Jets would not even dream of swopping

Look at Patrick Mahomes for example

Couldnt beat Brady but looks great against everyone else

His weapons are

Travis Kelce, Sammy Watkins, Tyreek Hill, Kareem Hunt, Spencer Ware, Demetrius Harris

Last night Darnold had

Robbie Anderson, Chris Herndon, Trenton Cannon, Andre Roberts, Isaiah Crowell

Not even comparable

51 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Look at Patrick Mahomes for example

Couldnt beat Brady but looks great against everyone else

His weapons are

Travis Kelce, Sammy Watkins, Tyreek Hill, Kareem Hunt, Spencer Ware, Demetrius Harris

Last night Darnold had

Robbie Anderson, Chris Herndon, Trenton Cannon, Andre Roberts, Isaiah Crowell

Not even comparable

Can't wait till next season when ??????? has OBJ, Barkley and Engram ... 😉  

2 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

Welcome Brother 🙂

Picked a team yet ? 

I'm leaning towards Seattle based purely on the fact that I was in America for a holiday a month ago and we started there. We were about 5 minutes from the stadium and all the people we spoke to were right into them. I believe it also rains there quite a lot of the year, so that's as close to Glasgow as I could get.

If you're a Glasgow boy, then technically The Giants are your 'Local Team'...

9am United Flight to Newark

Arr 11i45am - Quick taxi/bus ride to Giants Stadium ( Don't Listen to they Jets fans ;-)) 

Get there in plenty of time for a beer and hot dog before a 4-25 Eastern Time KO game

Just sayin'......