Outlaw King - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Some of it was shot 2 mins away from me in Glasgow University, also up at Mugdock and some was at Dunfermline Abbey - here's a list of places used -

https://inews.co.uk/culture/film/outlaw-king-filming-locations-netflix-movie-where-filmed-scotland-visit/

Despite what that says anyone can access the quads at Glasgow pretty much any time - I always use it as a shortcut when heading up to Byres road.

Mugdock is well worth a visit if you haven't been - I was at  a wedding a few years back held in the tower - there used to be a zoo with lions right next to the house (which is pretty much all gone now) - I believe Sir Hugh Fraser once owned it all - I recall a tale of it being burnt down deliberately for a film in the 60's.

Ah here's a link - Craigend Castle is what the "house" part was called , no mention of the fire -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigend_Castle

and for completeness here's the Mugdock Castle entry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugdock_Castle

55 minutes ago, phart said:

I thought it was shot in Linlithgow, some of it was anyway, or maybe that's another show.

Some was in Linlithgow. I recognised the inside of the palace courtyard last night watching it. That fancy waterfall centrepiece stood out.

Just watched it, enjoyed it. Interesting that they didn’t actually bother with Bannockburn!

Aaaron Taylor Johnson is suitably mental as the Black Douglas. Chris Pine very good, in fact all of the casting good. Could probably have done with being about three and a half hours tbh.

46 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I read speculation that this is the first film of a trilogy, which kind of makes sense 

That was my understanding but the forced ending (Edward I dying en route to the Battle of Loudoun Hill, being reunited with his wife and daughter before Bannockburn) suggests that it might not be happening.

I guess a decision will be made once the rating are and depending on how much money they made from it all. 

Watched it last night and enjoyed it more than I though I would have. As others have mentioned, feels like quite an abrupt ending but definitely sets up for a sequel.

Scotland looks incredible throughout and Chris Pine is really good in the top role. 

2 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

The film as alright. 6/10 material. The guy who played the price of wales was dreadful, and Taylor-Johnsons accent was up and down. Pine did a pretty good job as yer man.

Couple of slight wavers, but I thought Taylor-Johnson stole every scene he was in. Proper scenery chewing stuff.

40 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

A 2 part trilogy?  That would indeed be groundbreaking stuff.

I presume he's throwing in Braveheart to make this trilogy, despite the fact the only link is the subject matter.

Edit: That probably came across as sounding a bit dickish actually. Wasn't meant to be.

Edited by Tartan_McCole