Outlaw King - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

With the release a few “scottish” dramas such as 2 robert the bruce films and mary queen of scots not to mention a new series of outlander and the jocobite officer what kind of influence can that have on a countries culture and politics? Many often scoff at braveheart for its historical inaccuracy however it should never be underestimated the impact it had and how it sparked an interest in scottish history and if you ask me scottish self rule. Scottish culture and history has been suppressed since the act of union that there is no argument and to an extent we have had to rely on external sources like Hollywood to spark an interest, 

heres hoping outlaw king sparks an interest in scottish history and culture amongst our youth. Theres one thing it will have the scottish cringe mob up in arms 

i would love for a film/drama to spark an interest in Andrew de murray, black dougleas or the highland clearances, men and a period that have been painted over or forgotten in scottish society

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

I know it’s on Netflix or something, but understand it will also be shown in certain cinemas in Scotland. Have they released when/ where yet? Can’t be bothered signing up to any of these things.

I've been looking for cinema showings too but can't see any. 

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed it more that i thought i would..      the only bit i didnt like was the wee bit at the end , it was also the only major historical incorrect part....   otherwise a good movie..

hopefully part tow in the future taking it from 1307-1320.....

4 hours ago, JasMc1973 said:

Currently watching this, way better than that braveheart pish.....

TBF, this film had more than 2 decades to take on board and correct/avoid the criticisms levelled at Braveheart.

Also keep in mind that Braveheart (which doesn't get credit for the things that it had right) told our story to many in the world for the first time.

7 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

TBF, this film had more than 2 decades to take on board and correct/avoid the criticisms levelled at Braveheart.

Also keep in mind that Braveheart (which doesn't get credit for the things that it had right) told our story to many in the world for the first time.

Agree. Braveheart was a superb film, even if it changed a few things to suit the plot. It also, as you said, told a story that many hasn't heard before. 

def on the to watch list

re the braveheart film (which i happened to watch whilst living in london,,,,) i recall the story doing the rounds was that mel gibson was inspired to  make the film after hearing about wallace whilst filming hamlet at dunnotar castle by stonehaven (alas poor Yorick etc...) circa 89 also the "taxi driver verifed" story of him going for a jimmy down the lane next to Mr Gs Aberdeen, but being disturbed by a herd of quines from said establishment 

we did indeed get a lot of historical teaching at primary , but was typically all robert the bruce , i did have a bunch of old books at home that told of stirling bridge etc so i knew about wallace then , but was never really public domain i dont think until braveheart film ; i also recall a chapter on 'kate bar the door' which stands out after 40 odd years , which i had to google for the reference to castle douglas

suppose growing up with 1314 remember bannockburn flags at the games would point to a certain train of thought too ; saltires think rare in the 70s

@Auchinyell Sox Change

I Catherine am a Douglas born, A name to all Scots dear;
And Kate Barlass they’ve called me now Through many a waning year.
This old arm’s withered now. ’Twas once 5 Most deft ’mong maidens all
To rein the steed, to wing the shaft, To smite the palm-play ball.
In hall adown the close-linked dance
It has shone most white and fair; 10
It has been the rest for a true lord’s head, And many a sweet babe’s nursing-bed,
And the bar to a King’s chambère.
Aye, lasses, draw round Kate Barlass,
And hark with bated breath 15
How good King James, King Robert’s son, Was foully done to death.
Through all the days of his gallant youth The princely James was pent,
By his friends at first and then by his foes, 20 In long imprisonment.
For the elder Prince, the kingdom’s heir, By treason’s murderous brood
Was slain; and the father quaked for the child
With the royal mortal blood.

Gabriel Rossetti.

( @exile  those pre Raphaelites, if they weren’t leaving women in baths or rivers they were studying our history and writing beautiful poetry. Fairly sure he never painted mermaids and swimming pools though. 😊☺️

Edited by G-Man