Why oh why sfa - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why oh why sfa

Letsdoit

Why when we are a team in so called transition are we playing Belgium and Portugal in friendly matches. 

Not good at all for confidence and national morale, we need to play against teams lower level than we are then build it up, gain momentum confidence and a slightly better feel good factor than what we're getting, our strikers are starved of chances midfield chasing shadow not getting much of the ball and our defence self belief will only get worse this is nonsense and makes absolutely no sense to me please get a grip your killing my seance of enthusiasm for what lies ahead 

1 hour ago, Letsdoit said:

Why when we are a team in so called transition are we playing Belgium and Portugal in friendly matches. 

Not good at all for confidence and national morale, we need to play against teams lower level than we are then build it up, gain momentum confidence and a slightly better feel good factor than what we're getting, our strikers are starved of chances midfield chasing shadow not getting much of the ball and our defence self belief will only get worse this is nonsense and makes absolutely no sense to me please get a grip your killing my seance of enthusiasm for what lies ahead 

Why? 

The opportunity to try and make a quick buck. 

They don't give a shit about the team. 

As long as mugs are prepared to give them money they are not fussed. 

Christ they can't even decide where we going to play in 2 years 

I don’t normally defend the SFA but they didn’t have many options for opposition last night. 

All other League C and D teams are in groups of 4 which means we either had to play a League A or B team (and around half of them were playing Nations League games on Thursday, Friday or today so weren’t available) or play a country from outside UEFA, which can be difficult. 

Whilst it would have been better to play a team similar to Albania last night, it shouldn’t make too much of a difference. We quite often play a very good team 3 days before a mediocre one in qualifying.

The players should be able to adapt. 

For years the idiots running the SFA haven't had a clue...Strachan might not have been to everyone's liking but he got the best out of a very very ordinary bunch of players..Jesus Fucking Christ couldn't get results with our piss poor performers..We need longevity not with McLeish who really hasnae a clue and certainly isnae an international Manager. i've followed the Nation Home & Away for nearly sixty years and this is the worst I have seen. SFA get outta Hampden for fuck sake for starters...start spending real money on development...get strachan back as he is one of only two real quality Scots who fit the bill (King Kenny being the other). Ah Bollocks I'm away to watch the lassies in future!!!

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t normally defend the SFA but they didn’t have many options for opposition last night. 

All other League C and D teams are in groups of 4 which means we either had to play a League A or B team (and around half of them were playing Nations League games on Thursday, Friday or today so weren’t available) or play a country from outside UEFA, which can be difficult. 

Whilst it would have been better to play a team similar to Albania last night, it shouldn’t make too much of a difference. We quite often play a very good team 3 days before a mediocre one in qualifying.

The players should be able to adapt. 

I'm sure there are other options out there than Belgium and Portugal, hands up if your looking forward to a pumping of Portugal Scotland, its not good waking up with no clear view of where we are. 

What was the point in that last night other than what was kind of expected. 

8 minutes ago, Letsdoit said:

I'm sure there are other options out there than Belgium and Portugal, hands up if your looking forward to a pumping of Portugal Scotland, its not good waking up with no clear view of where we are. 

What was the point in that last night other than what was kind of expected. 

As far as I can tell, the only other European options would have been Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Iceland, Spain, Croatia, Bosnia ana Austria.

I suppose Austria and Bosnia would have been better options in terms of similar teams to Albania (closer to them than Belgium anyway) but you can’t force teams to play you. Maybe Belgium was all we could get? 

Anyone else on that list with the exception of Turkey would probably have pumped us anyway. 

25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

As far as I can tell, the only other European options would have been Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Iceland, Spain, Croatia, Bosnia ana Austria.

I suppose Austria and Bosnia would have been better options in terms of similar teams to Albania (closer to them than Belgium anyway) but you can’t force teams to play you. Maybe Belgium was all we could get? 

Anyone else on that list with the exception of Turkey would probably have pumped us anyway. 

Doubt Bosnia would’ve been keen, given that they’ve just beaten NI. 

Just now, dandydunn said:

Doubt Bosnia would’ve been keen, given that they’ve just beaten NI. 

Very true.

I was assuming they would have been playing a friendly first as they’re in a group of 3 and are playing a NL game on Tuesday. I forgot you could get double headers in groups if 3. Don’t know why since Albania have one this week and we have one next month. 

Worst of it is I had NI on my coupon so I knew Bosnia were playing. My coupon is also burst. ☹️

3 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

So much for the Nations' League thing 'replacing' friendlies, then.

It's designed to reduce the number of friendlies and replace them with more "meaningful" competitive games.

It was never planned to get rid of friendlies all together. The idea was that the top ranked teams would be in 3 team groups which would mean they would have free dates in order to arrange friendlies amongst themselves. We were just unlucky that we got drawn in the only 3 team group in League C and so we had free dates. The only other European teams with free dates at this time were teams from Leagues A and B.