3-5-2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3-5-2

er yir macaroon

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Even though there’s a logical case for a 3-5-2 i’ve always worried it doesn’t suit us and I think it even more now. The basic problem is the players are too far apart. 

Many teams at club as well as international level are now using that. Virtually no one plays 4-4-2. And hardly anyone with 2 up front.

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Even though there’s a logical case for a 3-5-2 i’ve always worried it doesn’t suit us and I think it even more now. The basic problem is the players are too far apart. 

Think a lot depends on personnel and how well drilled they are, didn't we play like that under Craig Brown or am I imaging things?

Edited by Hertsscot

15 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Think a lot depends on personnel and how well drilled they are, didn't we play like that under Craig Brown or am I imaging things?

I have that memory too. Gary Naysmith was in the Andy Robertson wing-back role...i think?

35 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

We did, aye, and it served us well, but we had some really good centre-halves in those the days - the likes of Tom Boyd, Colin Calderwood, Colin Hendry, Davie Weir.  Over two qualifying campaigns  - for Euro 96 and WC 98 - we only conceded six goals.

At the time, while it was acknowledged that we had a good defence, our attack was reckoned to be weak, but we could still call on someone like Kevin Gallacher, who played and scored regularly in the EPL, to get goals for us.

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

We did, aye, and it served us well, but we had some really good centre-halves in those the days - the likes of Tom Boyd, Colin Calderwood, Colin Hendry, Davie Weir.  Over two qualifying campaigns  - for Euro 96 and WC 98 - we only conceded six goals.

At the time, while it was acknowledged that we had a good defence, our attack was reckoned to be weak, but we could still call on someone like Kevin Gallacher, who played and scored regularly in the EPL, to get goals for us.

We also had McCoist, Durie, Spencer and Booth back then as well. Even Darren Jackson was decent.

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We also had McCoist, Durie, Spencer and Booth back then as well. Even Darren Jackson was decent.

Aye, very true.  I mind Scott Booth getting a few goals in the Euro 96 campaign.  Don't think Spencer ever scored for Scotland though.  Even so, we had some good options in those days.

48 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, very true.  I mind Scott Booth getting a few goals in the Euro 96 campaign.  Don't think Spencer ever scored for Scotland though.  Even so, we had some good options in those days.

Spencer didn’t score but he only got 14 caps. He probably wasn’t a great example but he did play for Chelsea and scored a good few for them. Admittedly they were nowhere near as good or successful at the time as they are now. 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

The interesting thing is that I suspect most of them didn't play in a three for their clubs.  I'm just wondering how easy it is to switch from being a pair to three at the back, similarly how difficult is it for the full backs to take on the wing back role?

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Partly down to personnel, it helps with a Lambert in the team. I’d go with Tierney as DM with 4 at the back. Horrible watching him at centre half. 

I'd rather have Tierney at CB than Mulgrew.

52 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

The interesting thing is that I suspect most of them didn't play in a three for their clubs.  I'm just wondering how easy it is to switch from being a pair to three at the back, similarly how difficult is it for the full backs to take on the wing back role?

It can’t be that difficult. It’s not as if they’re being asked to play up front or something.

I think the formation actually worked pretty well last night, in the first half anyway. 

We could easily have been pumped 0-4 or worse if we had went with 4 at the back. You’ve got to play to your strengths and Robertson is one of the best in the UK at bombing down the left wing.