Nation League Group C - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nation League Group C

romanticscot

41 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure I would call a 2-2 draw at home with Romania or a 0-1 away win against Lithuania as excellent form. We pumped Lithuania 0-3 in Vilnius recently and Serbia needed a penalty to beat them a few days ago. I realise Lithuania could be a lot better now but it still hardly indicates an in form team that should be expected to qualify for Euro 2020 via the qualifiers.

Of course they have a chance to qualify through their group next year. So do we. To expect it to happen is a little bit strange though. They could even be pot 4 if they’re not careful. 

And, Albania knocked them out of EURO 2016, and a lot of folk on here think Albania are pure shyte.;)

We’re generally unpredictable/ inconsistent, as is most teams around our level so it’s anyones guess what kind of Scotland, Israel and Albania will show up in the next games. 

Our mentality for away competitive games in particular needs to improve though. This sitting back shite has cost us too many points in every campaign that I’ve followed.

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

We’re generally unpredictable/ inconsistent, as is most teams around our level so it’s anyones guess what kind of Scotland, Israel and Albania will show up in the next games. 

Our mentality for away competitive games in particular needs to improve though. This sitting back shite has cost us too many points in every campaign that I’ve followed.

We need to take the same approach in Israel and Albania that we took in Lithuania.

A similar performance would be nice too, but this has to be the approach we take from kick off. You influence your own performance by the approach you take. Sit back and we’ll not perform, go for it and we’ll turn in a decent showing and hopefully pick up all three points.

We need to be brave and on the front foot. There’s nothing we ought to be scared of in either side we will face away.

Forget this notion that “draws will do” away and get twelve points from twelve.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

Absolutely.

When Ireland were qualifying for playoffs and tournaments, their results in places like Georgia were the difference and would often go there or the Balkans and win. Whilst we would always falter, often due to us sitting back and hoping for a draw.

We should be going to Israel with the aim of winning. Not sitting back due it being "too hot" etc that some pundits like to spout about.

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I see where you are comong from, but in terms of EURO2020 qualifying it is still better to be in Leagues A and B though. Iceland are virtually guaranteed a play off spot if they need one. NI will probably get one as well. It also helps them for the EURO 2020 draw for the qualifying groups. Iceland can't be lower than pot 2 and NI can't be lower than pot 3 even if they both get humped in every Nations League game.

Ah right just assumed if Iceland lost every game as is looking likely they'd slide down the rankings in next few months and be in pot 3 instead of 2 which makes it harder to qualify.

I'd actually be pretty happy if Scotland get them as a second seed. Think their golden run is over. Think Scotland have won every competitive game played against them.

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure I would call a 2-2 draw at home with Romania or a 0-1 away win against Lithuania as excellent form. We pumped Lithuania 0-3 in Vilnius recently and Serbia needed a penalty to beat them a few days ago. I realise Lithuania could be a lot better now but it still hardly indicates an in form team that should be expected to qualify for Euro 2020 via the qualifiers.

Of course they have a chance to qualify through their group next year. So do we. To expect it to happen is a little bit strange though. They could even be pot 4 if they’re not careful. 

Serbia always tend to do well v British teams, plenty of flair and can also match these teams physically.

Remember World cup 2014 group? 4 points off Scotland and beat Wales 6-1! They didn't even qualify in the end. And of course last group they finished top of a group that had Wales, ROI and Austria in it.

If they are in a different pot to Scotland ones to avoid I think.

25 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Serbia always tend to do well v British teams, plenty of flair and can also match these teams physically.

Remember World cup 2014 group? 4 points off Scotland and beat Wales 6-1! They didn't even qualify in the end. And of course last group they finished top of a group that had Wales, ROI and Austria in it.

If they are in a different pot to Scotland ones to avoid I think.

Absolutely. If they are in a different pot to Scotland they would be in pot 4. They would be a nightmare pot 4 team. 

Nobody suggested they would be a good opponent in the qualifiers. Somebody said they expected them to qualify without the need for a playoff which I thought was strange considering they have struggled in their first two Nations League games and could easily end up in pot 4. Like us, the best they can hope for is pot 3.

11 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Slovakia were on a bad run too and we got pumped 3-0 there.

I hope we win in Tel Aviv, but it will be a difficult game.

Iceland are definitely on the down curve, I can't see them winning a point in their group (They've not won -friendly or competitve game since a B friendly v Indonesia in January ; before that their final WC qualifier against Kosovo in October) .

Northern Ireland are a decent side and were very unlucky against Bosnia-Herz. The better side lost.

In some ways, setting out with an attack-minded team might be our best option of getting something in Israel.  The weakest part of our team is undoubtedly our defence so trying to hit on the counter might not suit us.  Israel were poor against Northern Ireland the other night but I don't read too much in to friendlies.

Agree with you about Iceland.  They've mibee got one more tournament left in them but from there I can see them 'doing a Norway' and going back to being also-rans. 

Northern Ireland were unlucky on Saturday but the problem they have is most of their better players are aging, so unless they've a group of youngsters of a similar calibre that I don't know about, I think they'll struggle to maintain their recent good record.

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Serbia also recently qualified for the World Cup (something we haven't managed for a long time!) and were slightly unlucky to get out of a tricky group.  They have players like Kolarov, Matic and Mitrovic, who are of a standard I wish we had more of, and others who also play in the top European leagues.  They're a fairly young side too.  I could be wrong, but I reckon they're a side on the way up.  

18 hours ago, scotlad said:

I could be wrong, but I reckon they're a side on the way up.  

Their recent results don’t really reflect that. 

Anyway, I don’t really care about Serbia. I was just stating that I don’t think they are certainties to qualify outright next year so we may well get them in the playoffs if we get there. 

Edited by Texas Pete

League C Group 1 table

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League_C

Group 1

Pos

Team

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Promotion or relegation   Scotland Albania Israel
1 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 1 1 0 0 2 0 +2 3[a] Promotion to League B   2–0 20 Nov
2 21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png Albania 2 1 0 1 1 2 −1 3[a]     17 Nov 1–0
3 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel 1 0 0 1 0 1 −1 0 Possible relegation to League D

For all that it looks good to be the top of the table, it seems too early to tell how the group woudl work out. Just say all the teams are strong at home and weak away. Then an Israel home win would  even things up again . So goal difference must be important...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Edited by exile

21 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I cant wait for the next game, If we win our game v Israel and so to does Albania then Israel will likely be out of contention already.  This is our best chance of a play off for decades. 

There will be twists and turns

It's us

I think the Nations league will be routine but then the campaign next year will be where the drama is.  Most likely being drawn with Iceland, Ukraine, us, Cyprus, Faroe Islands and Kosovo and then chucking it all away because we gave some team far too much respect. 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

I cant wait for the next game, If we win our game v Israel and so to does Albania then Israel will likely be out of contention already.  This is our best chance of a play off for decades. 

If Israel lose their next two games they are definitely out. 

Should see them nice and demotivated for their trip to Glasgow. 

On 9/12/2018 at 4:35 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Slovakia and Georgia aside, our competitive away record hasn’t been that bad in recent campaigns. 

We haven’t won a lot of away games (Lithuania, Malta and Gibraltar are the only away wins I can remember in the last few years) but we have drawn with Ireland, Poland and Slovenia. 

Two away draws would do fine, in terms of winning the group, as long as we beat Israel at home. I have a feeling we’ll need 10 points to secure a home playoff though so a win in Haifa would be ideal. 

10 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I think the Nations league will be routine but then the campaign next year will be where the drama is.  Most likely being drawn with Iceland, Ukraine, us, Cyprus, Faroe Islands and Kosovo and then chucking it all away because we gave some team far too much respect. 

I don’t want to tempt fate and this is probably just blind optimism but I think this is a different group of players with a different attitude. Most look like they really want it now and they’re up for it too. Even mulgrew has got a new lease of lie as one of the leaders in the team. 

For the first time in a long time I a man confident this is our turn.

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Those 4 points would need to have been taken off the two teams above them, though. 

Very true. It’s an unlikely scenario but it is possible. 

Will Israel even want to stay in League C if they do get their arses handed to them in the first 3 games though? 

On 9/13/2018 at 7:44 PM, exile said:

League C Group 1 table

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League_C

Group 1

Pos

Team

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Promotion or relegation   Scotland Albania Israel
1 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 1 1 0 0 2 0 +2 3[a] Promotion to League B   2–0 20 Nov
2 21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png Albania 2 1 0 1 1 2 −1 3[a]     17 Nov 1–0
3 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel 1 0 0 1 0 1 −1 0 Possible relegation to League D

For all that it looks good to be the top of the table, it seems too early to tell how the group woudl work out. Just say all the teams are strong at home and weak away. Then an Israel home win would  even things up again . So goal difference must be important...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

It's a pity we didn't really put Albania to the sword on Monday then.  And to be fair, a 3 or 4 goal victory wouldn't have flattered us.