Nation League Group C - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nation League Group C

romanticscot

Belgium game really hard to take but they are one of the best teams in the world with a set and successful manager, players, formation, tactics, style, formation and momentum - this game was always going to end up like this and i get the feeling Portugal in a month will be the same 

Albania and Israel are not the same - their qualifying and friendly results over the last 2 years have been just as bad as ours. They dont have any real world class players between them. They have very few great players Israel i'd say none Albania only the GK who is Lazios number 1 and their RB who is Napoli's first choice. There managers arent great. They have no momentum behind them. 

If we get the right formation, style and tactics i think we can win this league, which IMO would be huge for us.

However my real concern is i dont think McLeish knows his best formation, style and tactics. 

Edited by borojock

3 hours ago, Bino's said:

Watched some of their game

They are gash

They are good at the back though. Hysaj is a very good full back for Napoli and they have two keepers as regulars in Seria A.

If they were playing Belgium I'm sure they'd have lost but doubt they'd have given goals away in that manner. Remember two years ago at the euros France took 90 minutes to score a goal v them.

I can see this being a Lithuania/Macedonia home result early in the campaign that kills any momentum.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

My only hope is we won’t make the same individual errors we did last night.  I don’t expect a lot of “being brave on the ball” (a term which seems to have become fashionable but gets right up my nose)....   I expect a more direct approach.

Disappointed that McBurnie got injured....would've started him for this game with Griffiths just off him.

Surprised Phillips didn't start yesterday, maybe he's being saved for Monday. Naismith did fine when he came on so another I'd consider starting.

39 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

They are good at the back though. Hysaj is a very good full back for Napoli and they have two keepers as regulars in Seria A.

If they were playing Belgium I'm sure they'd have lost but doubt they'd have given goals away in that manner. Remember two years ago at the euros France took 90 minutes to score a goal v them.

I can see this being a Lithuania/Macedonia home result early in the campaign that kills any momentum.

Yes they'll be stuffy

But at home we should have enough to beat them 1-0

As long as we don't pass the ball to them in front of our own nets

2 hours ago, borojock said:

Belgium game really hard to take but they are one of the best teams in the world with a set and successful manager, players, formation, tactics, style, formation and momentum - this game was always going to end up like this and i get the feeling Portugal in a month will be the same 

Albania and Israel are not the same - their qualifying and friendly results over the last 2 years have been just as bad as ours. They dont have any real world class players between them. They have very few great players Israel i'd say none Albania only the GK who is Lazios number 1 and their RB who is Napoli's first choice. There managers arent great. They have no momentum behind them. 

If we get the right formation, style and tactics i think we can win this league, which IMO would be huge for us.

However my real concern is i dont think McLeish knows his best formation, style and tactics. 

If half the squad hadn't pulled out of the Peru and Mexico games he might have by now

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Disappointed that McBurnie got injured....would've started him for this game with Griffiths just off him.

Surprised Phillips didn't start yesterday, maybe he's being saved for Monday. Naismith did fine when he came on so another I'd consider starting.

Think Phillips pulled out?

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nothing like a bit of negativity to drag you down even further. Just relieved the OP is not employed as a moral bloke for the squad.

It's called satire, usually there is someone who suggests using a campaign to build the team young and abandon the current campaign. If we do that in this current league we go down. 

We have four games with teams of our current stature to guarantee a play off spot, we could be come November in a position we have not been in since 2003  It's definitely a great opportunity for us.

I was gutted with the manner of the loss yesterday - we don't have a settled formation, we are still absent minded at times, and we still don't have the Robertson Tierney situation resolved but there a few positive take aways - 352 isn't wise v a top side, Fraser is an asset, Russell is too.

I wish we had momentum and more answers but we are in a situation of knowing things that won't work for us.

7 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

It's called satire, usually there is someone who suggests using a campaign to build the team young and abandon the current campaign. If we do that in this current league we go down. 

We have four games with teams of our current stature to guarantee a play off spot, we could be come November in a position we have not been in since 2003  It's definitely a great opportunity for us.

I was gutted with the manner of the loss yesterday - we don't have a settled formation, we are still absent minded at times, and we still don't have the Robertson Tierney situation resolved but there a few positive take aways - 352 isn't wise v a top side, Fraser is an asset, Russell is too.

I wish we had momentum and more answers but we are in a situation of knowing things that won't work for us.

It really needs re-iterating that Belgium are ranked second best team in the world whereas we have qualified for Jack this century and are ranked 40th in the world. We are in a transitional phase and sloppy individual errors by players that should know better is why we lost 4-0 against a very strong Belgian side. Gifting goals to them is a bad idea and you will end up getting thumped and is what happened. Lets not forget the first half hour though. We kept it tight and restricted Belgium to long range shots whilst creating half chances ourselves so it was not all bad.

18 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

There’s no way we will get relegated from League C this year (I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me in the arse 😂) but if we did it wouldn’t do us much good as the next Nations League is unlikely to offer a World Cup playoff place and we’d probably just get promoted and end up in League C again in time for the next Euros. 

Best plan is to yo-yo between leagues B and C every 2 years. 

If it wasn’t for schoolboy errors last night we could have got a draw or, more likely, a narrow defeat. 

I still fancy us to beat Albania on Monday. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

There’s no way we will get relegated from League C this year (I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me in the arse 😂) but if we did it wouldn’t do us much good as the next Nations League is unlikely to offer a World Cup playoff place and we’d probably just get promoted and end up in League C again in time for the next Euros. 

Best plan is to yo-yo between leagues B and C every 2 years. 

If it wasn’t for schoolboy errors last night we could have got a draw or, more likely, a narrow defeat. 

I still fancy us to beat Albania on Monday. 

After they see Gibraltar qualify and get pumped 10-0 in every game in a finals, they might scrap the format

This could be the only hit at it

I am pretty sure Albania will park the bus on Monday night. They already have three points in the bank and will see a draw as them taking a stranglehold on the group. I'd also expect them to play a physical and cynical game with lots of meaty tackles flying in. If we are to win I think it will be a very narrow 1-0 win.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am pretty sure Albania will park the bus on Monday night. They already have three points in the bank and will see a draw as them taking a stranglehold on the group. I'd also expect them to play a physical and cynical game with lots of meaty tackles flying in. If we are to win I think it will be a very narrow 1-0 win.

One-nil would be a fantastic result. No irony.