Ian Crocker - why have sky not replaced this guy - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ian Crocker - why have sky not replaced this guy

jamboman

On 12/8/2018 at 1:46 AM, DoonTheSlope said:

It’s 2018 FFS! What’s his nationality got to do with anything?

Davey Provan is Scottish yet his negativity is beyond the pale

The story I've heard is that Provan never mixed well with his teammates when away with Scotland and Jock Stein thought Provan's attitude and commitment were rotten. In the end, Stein got fed up and just stopped picking him. Right decision Big Jock :ok:

I remember about ten or twelve years ago Provan had a column the Daily Record where he was supposed to write about football but half of it was taken up with the twisted, bitter poorly informed ramblings of a ultra-right wing fruitcake. Frequently ranting on about bringing back the belt in schools, re-introducing national service, that most unemployed people are lazy layabouts, the Scottish Parliament is a "waste of time" that should be abolished, that he'd "celebrate" if hanging was brought back.

oh, and naturally he was paying "far too much" in taxes :lol:

David Provan is a nasty, horrible old kunt who should be reduced to making a living giving after dinner speeches at branches of his beloved Conservative Party.

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

I am sick of the crocker and provan being so negative. They revel in it and love reminding us of failures. Why do we put up with it? The English wouldn't

The English have pride, Scotland does not. 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The English have pride, Scotland does not. 

True bud. Years of being told we're too poor, too wee and too stupid have taken a toll. It needs to change, we need to start believing in ourselves as a nation again. It's hard when your getting pumped off Kazakhstan tho 😂

On 11/25/2018 at 6:05 PM, Chripper said:

Yeah, I noted that, too.

Credit to  him for that. I've never really had a problem the guy. He seems like a decent enough man and he clearly knows his stuff, nor does he really take himself too serious. There's a lot worse commentators than Crocker.

He commentates on pretty much every Scotland match so he probably has a wee bit of affection towards us, whether he knows it or not.

I've heard him many times shout "yes" when Scotland have scored a big goal.

Maybe it's forced but he's been doing Scottish football now since late 90s so even though he's English I'm sure deep down he has a decent amount of affection and wants Scotland to qualify for a tournament as much as anyone else does.

Don't see the big issue really. Everyone knows things are s*** and have been for some time so if lead commentators and reporters are pointing this out to McLeish and SFA and making them squirm all the better.

2 hours ago, jamboman said:

I cant believe how much this guy is loving commentating on this game after Thursday.... And the english guy in the studio

Did Hayley McQueen not do the game today (was in pub watching Wales and left at full time). She was presenter on Thursday so you get two hours of eyeing up her midrift as consolation at least. 😁

5 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I've heard him many times shout "yes" when Scotland have scored a big goal.

Maybe it's forced but he's been doing Scottish football now since late 90s so even though he's English I'm sure deep down he has a decent amount of affection and wants Scotland to qualify for a tournament as much as anyone else does.

Don't see the big issue really. Everyone knows things are s*** and have been for some time so if lead commentators and reporters are pointing this out to McLeish and SFA and making them squirm all the better.

I think so.

I quite like him. He doesn't take himself too seriously, he's not pompous and he isn't boring. He's fine.

The people taking issue with him have to focus their ire on the players, the manager, the SFA, etc.

Provan just seems to be that dour co-commentator and plays up to it. Have to say after reading the above I will certainly be searching for some of his Daily Record old columns!

Worst one on there used to be Charlie Nicholas, now there was a bitter old player with little good to say about the NT/Anthem etc.

1 hour ago, thelonehutch said:

I am sick of the crocker and provan being so negative. They revel in it and love reminding us of failures. Why do we put up with it? The English wouldn't

Ive said it before but we are a nation of shitebags and generally accept any old shit. That said, Provan is a complete wank of a man  

32 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Provan just seems to be that dour co-commentator and plays up to it. Have to say after reading the above I will certainly be searching for some of his Daily Record old columns!

Worst one on there used to be Charlie Nicholas, now there was a bitter old player with little good to say about the NT/Anthem etc.

They were incredible !

He was supposed tow write about football but they ended up usually going off on the political and social rants of Alf MacGarnet !

Provan and Murdo MacLeod  still make the occasional after dinner speech at constituency Conservative Party events. 

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

They were incredible !

He was supposed tow write about football but they ended up usually going off on the political and social rants of Alf MacGarnet !

Provan and Murdo MacLeod  still make the occasional after dinner speech at constituency Conservative Party events. 

Seriously? Please say no or I will cry.

13 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Seriously? Please say no or I will cry.

Aye.

Davie Provan was well known for his political views even when he played with Celtic.

Murdo MacLeod, a very good player for all his clubs and his country and a genuinely nice bloke, but also a die hard Tory supporter I'm afraid.