Belgium Match Thread (07/09/2018) - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Belgium Match Thread (07/09/2018)

Clyde1998

2 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I don't think they did too bad in the first half. We've been let down by errors of concentration, having Griffiths on his own, and the continued problem at right back. That and Belgium are fricking brilliant.

Still think the future is bright.

Hope your right but have doubts with the current manager, only my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

He isn't you know.

He isn't even a superior keeper to Gordon.

He's on a similar level.

But your comments are being judged by the fact he is a Rangers player you know.

100%

Edited by GRBear

3 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I don't think they did too bad in the first half. We've been let down by errors of concentration, having Griffiths on his own, and the continued problem at right back. That and Belgium are fricking brilliant.

Still think the future is bright.

Nobody plays 2 up these days though. As for right back are you suggesting we go 4-4-2? Hence we play wing backs because we have no RB natural.

Just now, adonisfaelivi said:

He was practically begging for the job and his old mate Macrae at the SFA duly obliged. A shambolic appointment and a typical old pals act. Bin the whole fuckin lot of them

Aye - our problems go way beyond the manager. The SFA has needed a shake up for years. They're not entirely to blame for the decline of Scottish football over the past decades, but they hold the biggest burden. Each generation of players that come through are getting progressively worse, in general, and the SFA have turned a blind eye to it.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Nobody plays 2 up these days though. As for right back are you suggesting we go 4-4-2? Hence we play wing backs because we have no RB natural.

Jeez I don't know. I've been calling for 3-5-2 but I'm doubtful after that. Fraser was wasted today. 

Also I'm not saying 2 up front. I'm saying Griffiths was isolated.

My analysis..

We need 4 at the back...

Those 4 are tierney at RB Souttar Berra/mckenna then robertson

We are wasting fraser at wing back.

Mcgregor is our No. 1

Mcdonald is not good enough to play

We need to allow Mcgregor and Armstrong to attack.. 3 at the back does not do this

McLeish Out!!!

6 minutes ago, GRBear said:

But your comments are being judged by the fact he is a Rangers players you know.

100%

Nonsense.I'm expressing my opinion as a Scotland fan GR.

Maybe YOU should remove those glasses YOU are wearing before you judge comments about the national team?

Either way - we were well fucked tonight - and worryingly so. Play like that on Monday and we can look forward to the same outcome repeated.

Irrespective of who our goalkeeper is.

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 minutes ago, jamboman said:

My analysis..

We need 4 at the back...

Those 4 are tierney at RB Souttar Berra/mckenna then robertson

We are wasting fraser at wing back.

Mcgregor is our No. 1

Mcdonald is not good enough to play

We need to allow Mcgregor and Armstrong to attack.. 3 at the back does not do this

McLeish Out!!!

Agree with all apart from last statement.

19 minutes ago, neilser said:

Aye - biggest since losing 5-0 to England in the Centenary match in 1973. First time we’ve even conceded 4 at Hampden  since then as far as I can recall, but i think we let in 4 to Sweden at Easter Road under Tommy Burns.

Bringing back very painful memories. As At least though we were in Germany for the WC finals the following year.

Well we got gubbed 

3 major defensive mistakes at any level...let alone international against one of the best teams in the world. The other goal was also poor defending from Fraser and Gordon. The manager cant be blamed for tonight 

We have a newish team, its up to the manger to short out the mistakes.....if they continue you can blame him.

i thought Belgium were awesome and their desire was fantastic. Their the benchmark.

Positve was Teirney and Fraser.

I’m glad I don’t manage us........

Edited by sandyb

We are too slow and prone to too many mistakes.  Belgium are a cracking team, their first goal was an embarrassment but a lesson for the younger lads - you screw up against a top team and you will get punished.  So we have another hiding on the way from Portugal in October, but we may finish the year having clinched a play off spot. 

I wish we had tried this formation over the summer, it was a gamble versus these guys.  I may be an advocate for a 5 man defense - Robertson on his runs should not leave us exposed, so 3 center backs.  A 5-4-1

We don't have any creativity to create chances, I fear when it comes to Scotland we have to be pragmatic now - work on set pieces and defend in numbers when we don't have the ball and we severely lack leadership.

Naismith still looks like he has something to offer and Johnny Russell would be worthy of his spot.

It was a friendly

Belgium are a very good team (look at the guys they brought on!)

We tried things, they didn’t work.

meh. 🤷‍♂️

If we don’t learn anything from it and play like that on Monday, then we have something to worry about.

2 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Aye - our problems go way beyond the manager. The SFA has needed a shake up for years. They're not entirely to blame for the decline of Scottish football over the past decades, but they hold the biggest burden. Each generation of players that come through are getting progressively worse, in general, and the SFA have turned a blind eye to it.

It runs a lot deeper than that and it's too easy to just blame "the SFA" for everything.  

Saying the SFA has needed a shake up is true but the reasons why that hasn't taken place are because the SFA board and committees won't allow it to happen.  Who makes up the board and committee?  representatives of clubs and they have the self interest of themselves and their clubs foremost in everything they do.  That comes way before the interests of the national team.  

Going to have to be 4-5-1....

mcgregor

rb.       Souttar.           McKenna.      Robertson

fraser.              McGinn.     Armstrong.    Tierney

McGregor/snodgrass

Griffiths

Just now, PASTA Mick said:

I'm not sure there was a single positive from tonight.

We made unforced mistakes. Too many players playing out of position.  The formation didn't make us solid at the back or good upfront. It doesn't work.

McLeish shouldn't be near the job. Awful. 

The only one really out of position was Fraser and he has played there.