Belgium Match Thread (07/09/2018) - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Belgium Match Thread (07/09/2018)

Clyde1998

On 9/9/2018 at 4:46 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

It's the passes from defence into Midfield that were the problem against Belgium. Hopefully Albanias midfield isn't anywhere near as sharp. 

Problem will be that Belgium just demonstrated once again that if you put us under pressure you'll beat us. There was a period in the middle of Strachan's reign where this was also true, but we'd seemed to have gotten over it by the final qualifying campaign.

The last thing we needed before tonight was a game that highlighted out main weakness, and one that could be exploited by absolutely any side in the world as all it takes it running towards us when we have the ball.

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Managers are ultimately judged on their performance in competitive games so let’s see how we get on tonight before writing McLeish off. 

Aye, I know. I shouldn't be writing him off. I'd love us to win these games and end up on group b next time around. I'm just utterly bereft of any belief that we can do anything with him in charge. It was how I felt when we appointed him and it's just got worse game on game. Hungary were dreadful if we're honest.

Fingers crossed for tonight tho. Hope we've got something to cheer.

6 minutes ago, andyD said:

I'm not sure why the only team available to play a friendly with would be just those 4..

60 teams played a game around the time we did, that includes games like Qatar v China and South Korea v Costa Rica.. 60 teams played.. out of 206 listed in the fifa rankings. That's 146 twiddling their thumbs.

Sure, some of them are too far away or wouldn't want a game, but I'm not sure why we'd be limited to just those 4 nations.

Most of the American (South & North) teams had games against each other on the Friday & Saturday, all the African countries had African Nations Cup qualifiers on the Saturday.

So due to that, they were not really available to get for a friendly.

Anyway, agree to disagree here.

6 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

What's Mulgrews excuse then? 

Mulgrew?  I was replying to a comment about John McGinn and Ryan Jack.  Although, come to think of it,  it's unlikely you'd find many players who'd get a game in Belgium's midfield playing in the second and third tiers of English football either.

On 9/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, andyD said:

I know it's done and there's no going back, but does anyone think we'd be doing this poorly under Strachan?

McLeish currently has a 100% record in competitive games. Strachan lost his first two games. He had us knocked out of the of the the World Cup before any other team on the entire planet. Ok, Levein helped him out a wee bit on that one. But if he had won those two games we could have still been in a play off. 

At that point he still had my full support because it was far too early to judge him. Writing off a new manager before his team has kicked a competitive ball ball is just taking daftness to a whole new level IMO.

23 hours ago, Orraloon said:

McLeish currently has a 100% record in competitive games. Strachan lost his first two games. He had us knocked out of the of the the World Cup before any other team on the entire planet. Ok, Levein helped him out a wee bit on that one. But if he had won those two games we could have still been in a play off. 

At that point he still had my full support because it was far too early to judge him. Writing off a new manager before his team has kicked a competitive ball ball is just taking daftness to a whole new level IMO. 

He's not a new manager tho. He's one we know well.

His squad makes no sense. 6 games in we've scored 3 goals and are yet to put together a decent performance.

Albania was the best we've done over 90 minutes, but it was still pretty poor. The defense had nothing to do but still made us look like we could ship a goal any time they attacked. The midfield faffed and did little of consequence with the gigantic amount of possession we had. And in terms of goals.. the first was offside and needed the defender to put it in. The 2nd relied on their defender's clearing header landing around the penalty spot. Decent finish from Naismith, but still.. outside of an offside goal and an abysmal bit of defending from them.. we struggled to score. And to me that's worrying.

When qualifying comes around, I've seen no hint of anything under McLeish to suggest that we'll be anything but a distant 3rd, at best.

17 minutes ago, andyD said:

He's not a new manager tho. He's one we know well.

His squad makes no sense. 6 games in we've scored 3 goals and are yet to put together a decent performance.

Albania was the best we've done over 90 minutes, but it was still pretty poor. The defense had nothing to do but still made us look like we could ship a goal any time they attacked. The midfield faffed and did little of consequence with the gigantic amount of possession we had. And in terms of goals.. the first was offside and needed the defender to put it in. The 2nd relied on their defender's clearing header landing around the penalty spot. Decent finish from Naismith, but still.. outside of an offside goal and an abysmal bit of defending from them.. we struggled to score. And to me that's worrying.

When qualifying comes around, I've seen no hint of anything under McLeish to suggest that we'll be anything but a distant 3rd, at best.

FFS we won a game. Disnae happen all that often. Enjoy it while it lasts. We are currently the top team in League C. He can't do any better than that in these 4 games. It can only go down hill from here. It sounds like that's what you want. You won't be happy until McLeish fails. And even then you'll only be happy because it gives you something else to moan about.

If you are this miserable when we win, WTF are you like when we are really really shyte?

I would like us to score more goals as well, but I've been say that for at least 20 years.

McLeish is our manager for the Nations League and probably for the euro qualifiers as well. That's not going to change just because Andy aff the TAMB disnae like him. You might as well get used to it and try to enjoy it while we are winning.