Belgium Match Thread (07/09/2018) - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Belgium Match Thread (07/09/2018)

Clyde1998

4 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Half the folk on this board think broon was shite. Half the board thought we should get rid gf strachan. Half the board are Aberdeen fans. Half the board don't know what they are talking about.

You mention four halfs??  

I thought there was only one TAMB?? 

Might explain why the traffic round here is so much quieter these days.

That's one of the worst Scotland games I have attended.

3 goals were gifts from Scotland.

Central defence was weak.

Big gap between defence and midfield.

Midfield weak.

Big gap between midfield and attack.

Pass it if you can. If not clear it we are not Barcelona.

Mulgrew, Armstrong, Robertson, McGinn were disappointing for me. 

Crowd quiet especially North Stand.

It was all pretty shite.

1 minute ago, Alan said:

That's one of the worst Scotland games I have attended.

3 goals were gifts from Scotland.

Central defence was weak.

Big gap between defence and midfield.

Midfield weak.

Big gap between midfield and attack.

Pass it if you can. If not clear it we are not Barcelona.

Mulgrew, Armstrong, Robertson, McGinn were disappointing for me. 

Crowd quiet especially North Stand.

It was all pretty shite.

Agree with sentiment but thought (in the first half) Robertson and  Armstrong were two of our best players.

And McGinn our best from 30min+.  

This isn't saying much.

Apart from being caught ball watching once near the end of the game, I thought Souttar did very well against top class strikers. Also thought Fraser looked our biggest attacking threat......on the rare occasion he could get forward! McGinn, mistake aside, also showed he has something to offer.

Alan McGregor has to start on Monday. Gordon showed, as he has too often in the past with Celtic and Scotland, that his distribution is shocking and he is a coward in big moments in games!

And I will reiterate that we are a better team with Forrest in it! He would’ve at least given Belgium something to think about with his pace and direct play. I would accommodate both Fraser and Forrest in more advanced positions with a back 4.

Hats off to those that went tonight.  I’ve decided to take a back seat for a while after regularly going to the home games for the last 20 odd years.

just totally scunnered with shite inept displays time and time again with no real improvement.

21 minutes ago, giblet said:

Hats off to those that went tonight.  I’ve decided to take a back seat for a while after regularly going to the home games for the last 20 odd years.

just totally scunnered with shite inept displays time and time again with no real improvement.

Performances like that make you get over it more easily, trust me.

Stopped going about 18 months ago and wont be back till things change. Not giving the SFA any more money.

From the boys that went tonight, the highlights seem to have been a drunk guy falling down the stairs, and a flight between the people who think its cool to boo Ryan Jack and those who think its not. 

I don't know what folk expected from tonight - the third best international team in the world versus the third best international team in Great Britain.  There was only ever likely to be one outcome.

I had hoped (as opposed to expected) we could at least make Belgium work hard for a victory, maybe even get a goal of our own to give the crowd something to cheer, but we gifted those goals to Belgium. 

I'm not convinced a back three suits us but neither am I convinced we have the personnel to play with a back four - the best Scottish right-back currently playing the game is 32-years-old and retired from internationals two years ago.  A 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 would allow us to play Ryan Fraser further forward though, who I felt was wasted a bit at right wing-back.

In an ideal world maybe Charlie Mulgrew and Craig Gordon would now be vying with Darren Fletcher for a place in the pundits chair, but I don't think we have many better options in their positions, certainly not experienced options anyway.  Also in an ideal world, Ryan Jack and Kevin McDonald would only be near a Scotland squad if they'd passed their PCV licences (I was surprised McTominay didn't make an appearance tonight instead).

It's not the end of the world though but this was a pointless fixture to begin with.  My heart goes out to Alex McLeish and his staff, who'll now have to try and raise the spirits of a team who have just been tanked.  Playing a minnow - a Luxembourg or a San Marino - would also have been equally pointless in terms of gauging how good we are but at least we'd have probably scored a couple of goals - we've now managed to score one goal in six games.  To make matters worse Albania won tonight, so they'll be coming to Scotland full of the confidence I'd hoped we might have.

Lastly, it's quite funny seeing people looking back wistfully at the Gordon Strachan days, consider some of the dogs abuse he got on here!

Belgium are a fantastic team, and it was only a friendly. I wouldn't dwell on it too much. They can do that to most teams. And as someone said elsewhere, at least Scotland will only lose to Belgium once in 2018. Some teams have done worse than that. ;)

You'll beat Albania on Monday, or whenever it is.

8 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Embarrassing 

please for fuck same get McLeish to fbe can kie before it’s too late 

for those who wanted rid of Strachan I hope you realise we’ve gone backwards

disgrace

Yes spot on. Unbeaten in 2017 making progress and the SFA get rid of Strachan and probably our chances of qualifying gone.

A lot of OTT reactions on here which in some cases is understandable. losing 4-0 at home will always have emotions running high but some of the posts just show people up for the arseholes they are.

i was initially pleased when I saw this starting 11 and I thought we started brightly. A lack of concentration kicked in for every goal but in my opinion these mistakes can be ironed out. Belgium are at their peak right now and we are trying out new things, that’s no excuse for a lack of concentration. 

As much as I didn’t want Mcliesh as manager I don’t think now is the right time to sack him. Of course I could completely change my mind on Monday if things don’t improve. I actually think we will beat Albania as long as McGregor is in goals, he will give the back line more confidence. I was happy with either keeper till last night. 

I think we Need to keep calm for now till we see how the nations league goes. That team last night has potential in my opinion.

oh and pining for Scott Brown after a few friendlies is beyond knee jerk. We have to move on from the old failed guard. Brown was a good players for us but he’s gone.

21 minutes ago, Doric said:

Yes spot on. Unbeaten in 2017 making progress and the SFA get rid of Strachan and probably our chances of qualifying gone.

Getting rid of Strachan was the right decision. He wasn't picking our best players and was remaining far too loyal to players that had stopped performing years ago. 

Appointing McLeish was the wrong decision which makes the Strachan sacking look bad. 

23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

A lot of OTT reactions on here which in some cases is understandable. losing 4-0 at home will always have emotions running high but some of the posts just show people up for the arseholes they are.

i was initially pleased when I saw this starting 11 and I thought we started brightly. A lack of concentration kicked in for every goal but in my opinion these mistakes can be ironed out. Belgium are at their peak right now and we are trying out new things, that’s no excuse for a lack of concentration. 

As much as I didn’t want Mcliesh as manager I don’t think now is the right time to sack him. Of course I could completely change my mind on Monday if things don’t improve. I actually think we will beat Albania as long as McGregor is in goals, he will give the back line more confidence. I was happy with either keeper till last night. 

I think we Need to keep calm for now till we see how the nations league goes. That team last night has potential in my opinion.

oh and pining for Scott Brown after a few friendlies is beyond knee jerk. We have to move on from the old failed guard. Brown was a good players for us but he’s gone.

Brown is a class above our central midfield but yes, no use crying over spilt milk.   Also, why is bardsley not in the squad - our best right back?

Moving on from the failed old guard to a team of journeymen and Andy Robertson.

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Glad I never bothered watching this. Stupid fixture to have before a competitive game. 

It was insanity and strikes me the kind of money grabbing decision from the SFA I would expect.   The SFA treat the fans as imbeciles and play on their blind loyalty.  ‘You can only say you were there if you were there’....   what kind of contemptuous marketing shit is that....   I’m glad I wasn’t there.   The SFA vastly over values its product.

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

It was insanity and strikes me the kind of money grabbing decision from the SFA I would expect.   The SFA treat the fans as imbeciles and play on their blind loyalty.  ‘You can only say you were there if you were there’....   what kind of contemptuous marketing shit is that....   I’m glad I wasn’t there.   The SFA vastly over values its product.

Correct, I’ve not attended a match for 2 years now and have no intention of returning unless there are big changes. At this stage I’m not sure Ill ever return. A complete and utter shambles. I don’t buy this we don’t have the players shite either. I think we have a core of good young players that could and should be moulded into a useful side. Its a disgrace that the SFA cant select someone capable of that.