Belgium Match Thread (07/09/2018) - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Belgium Match Thread (07/09/2018)

Clyde1998

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Pretty accurate assessment.  Brown is a big miss. Robertson is our best left back and I feel we are trying things to accommodate Tierney.   I’m coming to the conclusion we either have to bench Tierney or find a position where he is better playing out of position than the equivalent in their natural position.  I’m also wanting 4 at the back....  we were destroyed down the left tonight.

I was all for a back 3 up until tonight. But really what we are doing is choosing to play both of our best 2 players out of position. Give the LB slot to one of them and see where the other slots in. They are both too good to not give either their natural place on the pitch.

But you also can't bench one of them. Even out of position, Tierney and Robertson were 2 of the better performers tonight.

Impossible dilemma 

So what did I take from tonight:

The formation just doesn't work. It attracts far too much pressure onto us, and with players likely to make errors, that's bordering on suicidal as a team. Strachan got it right, 4-2-3-1 is our best shape given the need to attack quickly and transition from defence to attack quickly.

A few of the senior players are past their sell by date and need to be moved on. Mulgrew is too error prone and doesn't engage his opponents at all - too slow to react. Gordon is quite error prone sadly. McDonald, meh, doesn't move the ball quickly enough.

We need to move Ryan Fraser up the park. He's absolutely wasted at right wing back. In a 4-2-3-1, a left wing or right wing position would bring a huge amount out of the lad.

Gordon Strachan maybe had it bang on with Tierney at right back. It's certainly not fashionable to admit it but we looked a lot less shaky with KT playing at right back.

The newer players need to step up to the mark, fast. McGinn and Jack had some awful errors. We need to cut this propensity to make cheap errors from our game.

The choice of opponent was utterly negligent from the Scottish FA. A non European team of a similar standard to us was a no brainer but nope, not the SFA.

A really tough choice moving ahead to Monday. At the moment, I'd be looking at: McGregor; SOD, Souttar, KT, Robertson; Armstrong, McGinn/McTominay; Forrest, McGregor, Fraser; Griffiths. Long run, KT would go to right back with McKenna in the centre.

17 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Result no, - you are correct  but a performance to give us a basis was the least to be expected.

We got neither in the end.

And let's face it, if your 12-16 year old kid playing for their local school had lost any of those goals tonight..........

I know we all hope our players are better than the last game but realistically we are a league C team and we were playing against 1 of the best teams in league A they made us look pish because of  their quality 

At the end of the day it was mistakes not the formation that cost us big time in this game.

Thought Souttar and Tierney played well enough, McGinn apart from his mistake had a decent game.

Ryan Fraser has to be brought into the game far more, McGregor and Griffiths showed flashes of linking up well in the first 30 mins until Belgium got wise to it.

I think our biggest problem is in the defensive midfield position, MacDonald and Jack are just not sharp enough, dunno whether playing Shinnie in there would be a better option.

If we do persist with that formation we need to press the game much further up the pitch, and also, we don't need to play Mulgrew at all.

18 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

SFA should have a look at this link. I understand that they can't or won't pay big wages.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

When looking at managers who we could probably afford the wages of, I wouldn't mind Darren Ferguson - seems to have done quite well in the English lower leagues with limited resources.

6 minutes ago, runningtings said:

At the end of the day it was mistakes not the formation that cost us big time in this game.

Thought Souttar and Tierney played well enough, McGinn apart from his mistake had a decent game.

Ryan Fraser has to be brought into the game far more, McGregor and Griffiths showed flashes of linking up well in the first 30 mins until Belgium got wise to it.

I think our biggest problem is in the defensive midfield position, MacDonald and Jack are just not sharp enough, dunno whether playing Shinnie in there would be a better option.

If we do persist with that formation we need to press the game much further up the pitch, and also, we don't need to play Mulgrew at all.

Beg brown to come out of retirement... 

9 minutes ago, runningtings said:

Not wrong, mistakes everywhere, but 3 at the back is stupid. Only a very stupid person would stick with such a stupid idea.

Just play 4 at the back ffs.

Edited by Morrisandmoo

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

If this doesn't go convincingly right on Monday then I'll support this.

We have been comprehensively rotten without Brown since last October.

Half the folk on this board think broon was shite. Half the board thought we should get rid gf strachan. Half the board are Aberdeen fans. Half the board don't know what they are talking about.