Let's give the girls our support in France - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Let's give the girls our support in France

Letsdoit

There's a chance I'll go.

Looking at who we could draw, assuming the same seeding procedure as last time, there's a good chance that the women could reach the knockout phase.

If the highest ranked teams qualify from the renaming spots (unqualified teams in italics), the pots will be (Pot 1 seeded, 2-4 regional):

• Pot 1: USA (1), Germany (2), France (3), England (4), Canada (5), Japan (6)
  • Pot 2: New Zealand (20), Mexico (25), Costa Rica (33), Nigeria (38), Ghana (46), Cameroon (48)
  • Pot 3: Brazil (7), Australia (8), South Korea (15), China (17), Thailand (28), Chile (39)
  • Pot 4: Netherlands (9), Sweden (11), Spain (12), Norway (14), Italy (16), Scotland (21)

A lot of teams in Pot 2/3 look beatable on paper.

Well we are bound to get Brazil and Costa Rica for starters and we will start with a duff result against the supposed minnows and then go out despite a near glorious effort against Brazil where we take the lead then only let in four but it doesnt really matter the main thing is to at long last be able to watch Scotland at a World Cup it has been far far too long and at least this one will be in France so about as easy to get to as it gets and i would love to go for sure as its also one of my favourite countries to visit so any trip will also be a family holiday just with my kilt on so yes cmon the scotland women

9 hours ago, ger intae them said:

No chance. They've done very well, but come on ... cue debate on wummins football 🙄.

Have you ever watched wummins football? It's worse than watching the men, and if you just want something Scottish to succeed, away and party when murray snr plays in a mixed doubles game.

There should be a rule that yer only allowed to slag wumman's fitba if you're a better player than anyone on the wumman's team. That rules out 99.9999% of TAMBers, including you sir :ok:

I don't have time to follow women's club football (other than the FA cup final), but I always watch the England women's team when I can. I saw them at St Mary's earlier this year (not their best match, unfortunately), and I watched them on TV when they beat Wales in the away match the other Friday. I'm always very impressed with how they play - I think it's really enjoyable to watch. I'll definitely be following the world cup next year.

18 hours ago, Letsdoit said:

It won't happen but would be a good thing if a few thousand TA went through to France to cheer the girls on, treat it like we do with our men's teams go there have a party and shock the world, just imagine a few thousand TA cheering the girls on and the fun we could have at a major tournament I forget what that is like, respect to the team and they deserve a good following they have more determination and passion to play for the country than a lot of their male counterparts, joy to see them celebrating the success and some real good players in there also. 

No thanks.

7 hours ago, George Saint said:

I don't have time to follow women's club football (other than the FA cup final), but I always watch the England women's team when I can. I saw them at St Mary's earlier this year (not their best match, unfortunately), and I watched them on TV when they beat Wales in the away match the other Friday. I'm always very impressed with how they play - I think it's really enjoyable to watch. I'll definitely be following the world cup next year.

It's staggering that it's a professional sport

Still can't work out how that's come about

Glasgow who have won the womans league 10 years in a row get 50 fans at their home games

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Glasgow who have won the womans league 10 years in a row get 50 fans at their home games

It's only full time professional in other countries where they do get more spectators.

7 hours ago, Bino's said:

It's not at all as bad as your making out sir apart from Scotland and some other low population countries stuck in the past its catching on crowds are on the up and in England a lot o money is being invested in the womans game, the girls take it serious and have some better attitudes to being professional than the men. 

I wish the men would take some of the attributes the women have and aplly it to there own game and I'm sure you may get a Scotland mens team that really know what it means to play for their country, I watched the last women's World Cup finals and enjoyed it, yes there is not the same quality as the mens game, but you do get commitment and some of the teams and girls will surprise you, I like to watch a team that gives a shit to play for Scotland and to be honest in men's football a few could not care less. 

Hope you enjoyed watching our men last night sir great eh

28 minutes ago, Letsdoit said:

It's not at all as bad as your making out sir apart from Scotland and some other low population countries stuck in the past its catching on crowds are on the up and in England a lot o money is being invested in the womans game, the girls take it serious and have some better attitudes to being professional than the men. 

I wish the men would take some of the attributes the women have and aplly it to there own game and I'm sure you may get a Scotland mens team that really know what it means to play for their country, I watched the last women's World Cup finals and enjoyed it, yes there is not the same quality as the mens game, but you do get commitment and some of the teams and girls will surprise you, I like to watch a team that gives a shit to play for Scotland and to be honest in men's football a few could not care less. 

It is bad I'm afraid

The sport has to start somewhere though

33 minutes ago, Letsdoit said:

I agree with this. Women’s sport is huge down in south England especially football and netball. Scotland are behind as usual when it comes to pretty much any sport 

Woman's football is absolutely horseshit. 

There's a lassie at my work who plays with Glasgow - I've joined her and a few of her team mates to play 5s at Glasgow Green in/around them training during the winter and I'm as good and if not better than them.  That's me who hasn't played regular football for over 10 years.

And I'm also not really that much of a player, an athlete etc etc. It's good they've qualified

However, any one really interested in going are likely one of the old 10 pointers who have grouse feathers and are chuggers 👍

2 hours ago, Debian said:

Woman's football is absolutely horseshit. 

There's a lassie at my work who plays with Glasgow - I've joined her and a few of her team mates to play 5s at Glasgow Green in/around them training during the winter and I'm as good and if not better than them.  That's me who hasn't played regular football for over 10 years.

And I'm also not really that much of a player, an athlete etc etc. It's good they've qualified

However, any one really interested in going are likely one of the old 10 pointers who have grouse feathers and are chuggers 👍

Aye nae bother your so correct that nailed it for me not, I'm sure they invite you to play because your opinion of them is so good. 

Edited by Letsdoit

Why Do some on here refer to the standard of the women’s game? whats the standard got to do with anything? 

Some standard of Mens  football is pish too so I don’t really get this point. It’s not as if the women are trying to compare themselves to the men. I sometimes walk over to the local park and wtach the pub league, it’s fitba and can be entertaining. A game of fitba doesn’t need 22 highly paid men to be good. Any level can be good.

one of the best games I’ve ever seen was a highland league match.

the women’s game has its own market and good on them I say. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Why Do some on here refer to the standard of the women’s game? whats the standard got to do with anything? 

Some standard of Mens  football is pish too so I don’t really get this point. It’s not as if the women are trying to compare themselves to the men. I sometimes walk over to the local park and wtach the pub league, it’s fitba and can be entertaining. A game of fitba doesn’t need 22 highly paid men to be good. Any level can be good.

Spot on exactly what has the standard got to do with it, if it was about standard alone no cunt would watch the men or Scottish lower league, amateur, or junior football at all, one thi g you do find is girls that care, that want to play for their club that have passion for the game and to play for the county means something, all the haters to me are short sighted and stuck in the past, if they had a girl who played for Scotland I'm sure they would feel slightly different. 

Well I hope they get a great support as the effort they put in to get there was amazing expecialy that come back in Poland when you see the girls celebrating like they did you know how much it means to them. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if a few think about it and go then I bet they have a great time drink footy and a big tournament. sounds good to me. 

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

This is exactly what I was thinking. We're the Tartan Army. We don't support our team because of the great standard of football. We support them because they are Scotland! 

Aye whatever... I hope they do well of course, and good luck, but if you think that because the men get decent support the women should too.... nah, doesn't work like that.

And to say it's not about standard of fitba then your off her heid. You watch the best your country can muster against the best from other countries. This is the world we live in, trying to achieve/force equality where it actually just skews things.

3 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Aye whatever... I hope they do well of course, and good luck, but if you think that because the men get decent support the women should too.... nah, doesn't work like that.

And to say it's not about standard of fitba then your off her heid. You watch the best your country can muster against the best from other countries. This is the world we live in, trying to achieve/force equality where it actually just skews things.

That's true, but I also follow two club teams that are nowhere near the best that can be mustered. I know they will not get the same support as the lads, but to not support them based on standard makes no sense for a massive cohort of Scottish football fans. 

PS: These women are in fact the best our country can muster in their sport, and compared to almost every other country in the world they are great.

My 16yr old daughter wants to go and I would love to take her (it's during her exams so could be tricky) That said my 20yr old son wants to go too. As said earlier, having the chance to support Scotland at a tournament is what it's all about. Though there may be a fraction of the TA there, it should still be an experience.