Pre match - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pre match

slasher

2 hours ago, slasher said:

We usually do Alfredo's/Iron Horse pre match but fancy a wee change this time. Any suggestions?

We normally do iron horse because they run a bus but when I reached out to them to ask if they were doing a bus for these games they never got back so we're going for a change as well. My mate and I have got tickets for the Ted Christopher pre match gig at the Classic Grand on Monday (though we're still waiting on our tickets) but I think you can get them in the door.

Edited by theweestevie

56 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

We normally do iron horse because they run a bus but when I reached out to them to ask if they were doing a bus for these games they never got back so we're going for a change as well. My mate and I have got tickets for the Ted Christopher pre match gig at the Classic Grand on Monday but I think you can get them in the door.

Meh, meant to edit my post not quote it. Ah well

Edited by theweestevie

Usually head for the Iron Horse/Alfredos, but going to the SFA pre-match thing in the Arches, and depending on how good/bad it is, most likely grab a pint in MacSorleys and then jump on a bus down to south side to check out the Church on the Hill now its been refurbished.

Hootenanny is really good, but can get VERY busy (as its not all that big inside, but on a good day you can head into the beer garden, which has the Billy Connolly wall mural from that documentary on him last year) and actually surprised me it does not have a much bigger reputation on the match day pub scene (as it get busy at the best of times, maybe a good thing)

Edited by wanderer

If you want pubs round that area I'd say the 3 below are decent.

The Raven - Renfield Street. Craft beers and burgers, ribs.

Drum and Monkey - St Vincent Street.  Real Ales. Nicholson owned pub.

Sloans Argyle Street. Nice traditional.boozer.  Down a lane from Argyle or Buchanan St

9 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Hootenanny is really good, but can get VERY busy (as its not all that big inside, but on a good day you can head into the beer garden, which has the Billy Connolly wall mural from that documentary on him last year) and actually surprised me it does not have a much bigger reputation on the match day pub scene (as it get busy at the best of times, maybe a good thing)

It'll not be busy on a Monday night.

The fact that it's not popular with Scotland fans is actually a redeeming feature!

6 minutes ago, Alan said:

If you want pubs round that area I'd say the 3 below are decent.

The Raven - Renfield Street. Craft beers and burgers, ribs.

Drum and Monkey - St Vincent Street.  Real Ales. Nicholson owned pub.

Sloans Argyle Street. Nice traditional.boozer.  Down a lane from Argyle or Buchanan St

Maybe I picked a bad weekend to go in for a pint, but since its refurbishment, found the Drum and Monkey beer/ale choice has really went down hill compared to what it used to be like.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Maybe I picked a bad weekend to go in for a pint, but since its refurbishment, found the Drum and Monkey beer/ale choice has really went down hill compared to what it used to be like.

Aye I totally agree about the drum, it's not the same any more. Sloan's is a cracking pub, don't think I've ever been in the Raven, that's a new one for me.

14 minutes ago, slasher said:

Aye I totally agree about the drum, it's not the same any more. Sloan's is a cracking pub, don't think I've ever been in the Raven, that's a new one for me.

Raven is a excellent craft beer and BBQ food bar just a street or two down from the Iron Horse (opposite the old Odeon Cinema on Renfield Street).

Great selection of beers, but not somewhere I would consider spending any great amount of time in on match day (great for 1 or 2 and a spot to eat, but always find myself moving on not long after).

If in that area of the city and want something a little different than the Iron Horse, walk a street or two in the opposite direction and take in the Atholl Arms opposite Walkabout (would also suggest the Flying Duck next door, but it has a funny attitude on match day about football fans.... depending on who is on the bar, you will either get a drink or told no football fans).

Edited by wanderer

On 9/10/2018 at 9:05 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye it's okay but mainly when it's sunny as the beer garden is cracking.

Pints are decent enough.

What did Hootenanny used to be called years ago?

We used to go there before going to Penelope's (which is now the classic grand).

Edit: Fat Boab's was it?

Edited by Scotland Ever More

On 9/12/2018 at 6:17 PM, Alan said:

Did anyone do SSC event at The Archies (with or without disco biscuits).

Yes, was awful!!!!!!

£4.50 for a can off Innes and Gunn poured into a plastic pint glass.

Venue was really nice, but found the SSC event really poor compared to ones at Hampden.

Stayed for one beer, then left with others to head to the Crystal Palace around the corner.