Athens and Venice - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Athens and Venice

irnbruman

Are you in Venice for a night? Venice is best at night. When all the day trip and cruise ship people have gone. You can saunter freely, get lost up backstreets. Wander up to Cannaregio for a bit less tourist restaurants and ciccetti bars. 

During the day a wander about, soaking in the Grand Canal, seeing the Rialto, Piazza San Marco, etc, followed by buying a bottle of wine/beer from the supermarket and finding a quiet spot next to the grand canal to perch yourself and watch the world go buy. THAT, is difficult to beat for a day trip IMO. 

Great place. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, Parklife said:

Are you in Venice for a night? Venice is best at night. When all the day trip and cruise ship people have gone. You can saunter freely, get lost up backstreets. Wander up to Cannaregio for a bit less tourist restaurants and ciccetti bars. 

During the day a wander about, soaking in the Grand Canal, seeing the Rialto, Piazza San Marco, etc, followed by buying a bottle of wine/beer from the supermarket and finding a quiet spot next to the grand canal to perch yourself and watch the world go buy. THAT, is difficult to beat for a day trip IMO. 

Great place. 

I'm in Venice from Sunday lunchtime till flying to London on Monday morning. I'm liking your thinking - did the wine thing in Paris - couple of bottles of Chablis sittign on banks of the Seine.

2 hours ago, irnbruman said:

I'm in Venice from Sunday lunchtime till flying to London on Monday morning. I'm liking your thinking - did the wine thing in Paris - couple of bottles of Chablis sittign on banks of the Seine.

Ya fekkin' jakie ye :D

Just kidding.   Actually, last time I was in Paris the Seine's banks were flooded.    Cranes were hauling the wee bars and shops out of the water and folk couldn't get to the bateau mouches due to the gangplanks being under water.

5 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Ya fekkin' jakie ye :D

Just kidding.   Actually, last time I was in Paris the Seine's banks were flooded.    Cranes were hauling the wee bars and shops out of the water and folk couldn't get to the bateau mouches due to the gangplanks being under water.

Last time I stayed there on way back from game in Metz  was the same time when banks were flooded. The time I had the wine was my first Scotland away match with the Faddy goal. Had 2 bottles of Chablis watching the boats go by and then on to the Rugby World Cup village -great night there.

• 3 weeks later...

I would buy a day pass for the water busses and just jump on and off. The island  of Morano is the glass centre and is quieter. You can walk round the whole place in about 30 minutes. Look out for the football ground. I have been to the Lido a couple of times and its quite interesting. If you walk up the beach you will come to the cinema that is the main screen for the Venice film festival. It and the station are the only two pieces of Fascist architecture on the island.

As someone says, it is truly magical at night. Getting a water bus up the grand canal is an experience hat will live in your memory for a long time with the apartments either side lit up 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the 1 day bus pass ..walked around a bit although its very easy to get lost in the mass of alleyways..went down grand canal on the number 2 ..ferry to Lido..then jimped on the ferry that goes round the outside of venice. The Irish pub had Scotland Portugal game on..eventually got the waterbus back up to my hotel later at night from St Marks square to Plaza Roma. Absolutely loved Venice. 

Had a great time in Athens. Best idea to get a three day tourist travel pass for 22 euros since a single trip to or from the airport is 10 euros anyway. Went to Piraeus and did a ferry trip to Aegina. Back in Athens ..wasnt pariculary keen on the city..walked round the base of the Parthenon etc and there is a viewing poimt over Athens..but big queue and steep walk to go up to historical site so didnt bother. Went to Scottish bar the Wee Dram both nights..great beer..and the Sports Bar was good as well.

I'm in Athens on the Thurs before Albania game. What's the pubs like. I'm in centre hotel which I think is in the centre🤔. Is the Scottish bar quite central. Would like to try 2 or 3 bars at least.not there long enough for sightseeing. 

We were in Monastiraki Square in Athens. Lots of great souvlaki bars/restaurants there if you go up a pedestrian street opposite the Metro. I think your best bet would be get up to a rooftop bar in that area, as our hotel had one and the Parthenon/Acropolis views were brilliant. So bevvy AND sightseeing in a one-er 😎. If you walk from Monastariki towards and around the Acropolis in a clockwise direction, it takes you around to the National Archeological Museum - Elgin Marbles etc. You would pass lots of interesting things in a half hour stroll, and could stop for beer in umpteen places.

2 hours ago, 1ANDYP said:

I'm in Athens on the Thurs before Albania game. What's the pubs like. I'm in centre hotel which I think is in the centre🤔. Is the Scottish bar quite central. Would like to try 2 or 3 bars at least.not there long enough for sightseeing. 

I went to the Scottish bar the Wee Dram both nights I was there. Its about 3 stops on the metro from Syntagma Square on the blue line back towards the airport. Get off at Ponormou then its about 200 yards up the hill. The owner Ross is Scottish- when I went in there's no other Scots around but since I had my Scotland shirt on he came up and said hello. Good music and excellent choice of beer. The sports bar was good as well - its near Acropolis metro station. I looked in the Irish bar near Monastiriki Square but was a bit busy. I was on my own so didn't fancy going in a Greek bar or restaurant type bar.